The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why not Kikuchi for the playoffs in OPACY?

IMG_5658.jpeg

If we can’t rely on guys like Irvin and Kremer in the postseason, it seems odd to trade assets for a guy like Kikuchi who is basically their peer.

He’s been one of the worst pitchers in baseball over the last 1.5 months, with a 6.00 ERA and a 4.82 FIP since May 20. By comparison, we just demoted Irvin to the bullpen thanks to his 5.63 ERA and 4.93 FIP in that span.

If he’s available for very little, it’s probably worth a gamble. He’s got good stuff, maybe he gets hot at the right time. But feels a lot like just another SP4 type to me. 

• Upvote 2

The biggest jumps of a SP seem to be going from a #2 to a #1 and a #4 to a #3. We need a legit #3, AKA someone we will absolutely want to start a playoff game (game 3). If you can't say that, they are probably a #4. I'm not sure Kikuchi is really a #3. 

3 minutes ago, G54377 said:

The biggest jumps of a SP seem to be going from a #2 to a #1 and a #4 to a #3. We need a legit #3, AKA someone we will absolutely want to start a playoff game (game 3). If you can't say that, they are probably a #4. I'm not sure Kikuchi is really a #3. 

This is why I prefer going after Scherzer if his arm holds up this month and assuming he doesn't suffer a setback. Scherzer is a proven commodity and can be relied on to be a #3. Scherzer also won't be as expensive since he's going to be a pure rental.

But the Rangers might not throw in the towel as defending World Series champs if they are in striking range of the third wildcard on July 31st.

18 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Only if our bullpen blows 1 or more games.

Gotta love our fans. And I do. The FB group has a post with a ton of likes taking Kimbrel over Miller. It’s funny how things change. 

I’m not saying they’re right, but that’s why you don’t trade elite prospects like Basallo, Mayo, and Holliday, for a closer. 

26 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Looks like about 8 sellers at the moment. I expect Rangers and Cubs to hang on as long as possible. Put me in the camp of number 3 starter and bullpen piece to upgrade the team. Examples would be Kikuchi/Efflin and Yimi Garcia/Finnegan. 

If you count the Tigers in that “8 sellers” group, Skubal is much better than a #3. He is a #1 on most teams, but wouldn’t need to be on ours this season. But could fill that role next and beyond.

If the Orioles are following the Astros model and don’t intend to buy SP in FA. He is the kind of move that you would make, given that he is the kind of difference-making SP talent that can tilt any postseason series in your favor (think when the Astros acquired Gerrit Cole).

37 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Looks like about 8 sellers at the moment. I expect Rangers and Cubs to hang on as long as possible. Put me in the camp of number 3 starter and bullpen piece to upgrade the team. Examples would be Kikuchi/Efflin and Yimi Garcia/Finnegan. 

I like this dude. I promise this isn’t a burner account.