Sunday 6/2/2024 - Os vs Tampa Bay Rays

justD

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

That was the headscratcher for me. Where was Stowers? 

Stuck on the bench. Wouldve pinch hit for Cedric earlier in the game too. 

14 minutes ago, Dunk35 said:

He's missed a bunch the last month... Stowers was the guy to give a chance there. 

He has been seeing pretty steady offspeed stuff this past month. 

16 minutes ago, Malike said:

Cowser is batting .180 since May and slugging at .275. Do you think that's an upgrade?

Their results have both been bad. But looking at Cowser’s xwOBA rolling averages in May, they’re still comfortably above league average. He’s just hitting into bad luck. Mullins averages however show him as being deserving of how he’s looked lately - arguably the worst hitter in the league. 

23 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Isn't obvious?  Hyde doesn’t know what he is doing and Mike Elias doesn’t know how to manage a roster.  Just read your posts.

Oh hush.

if you think Hyde made no mistakes today, that’s fine.

many people do think he made mistakes today and have reasonable justification for thinking so.

You haven’t said anything in his defense, but for instance if you think leaving Tate in so long was an ok decision that just didn’t work out, that’s fine, but please explain why you think so.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Oh hush.

if you think Hyde made no mistakes today, that’s fine.

many people do think he made mistakes today and have reasonable justification for thinking so.

You haven’t said anything in his defense, but for instance if you think leaving Tate in so long was an ok decision that just didn’t work out, that’s fine, but please explain why you think so.

My defense is the Orioles record.  Hind sight is always 20/20.  If Tate had gotten a ground ball double play instead of given up the lead it would have been a different story.  Players in the end have to execute.  They aren’t going to win every game and every decision isn't going to work.  

18 minutes ago, accinfo said:

My defense is the Orioles record.  Hind sight is always 20/20.  If Tate had gotten a ground ball double play instead of given up the lead it would have been a different story.  Players in the end have to execute.  They aren’t going to win every game and every decision isn't going to work.  

Kind of a poor reason, because in making it, you’re suggesting that as long as we are winning, no decision needs to be scrutinized, which is obviously not true.

And it also ignores defending Hyde’s decision to leave Tate in.

I don’t mind letting Tate start the inning, because he started the inning at only 8 pitches. But I do mind not yanking him immediately after letting the first guy on. 
in twelve pitches he gave up single single double.

I do not remember whether Coloumbe was warmed up at the beginning of the end or didn’t get up until after the start of the inning, but he should have been ready. If he wasn’t, that’s another mistake, even in foresight. The very least you have to do is have your next reliever ready, especially if you know you’re going to use him anyway. Only once has Tate gone more than one inning and only once did he throw more than 16 pitches.

Hydes use of the bullpen is frequently questionable not just after the fact but before the fact. 
I appreciate the fact he didn’t want to use Vieira, and having him isn’t Hyde’s choice, as far as we know. But he still should have gone to Coloumbe sooner. 

It’s really difficult to point to a single thing that causes a lost game, but this is arguably one of them.

hopefully tomorrow we will have fresh shiny faces in the pen because we’re going to need them.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Kind of a poor reason, because in making it, you’re suggesting that as long as we are winning, no decision needs to be scrutinized, which is obviously not true.

The great news is no one running the Orioles cares what you or I think should be scrutinized or not.  I choose to be happy with the winning results and happy we have the Reigning Manager and Executive of the Year.   You can continue to take shots at Hyde and Elias all you want.  You will be on ignore from me going forward.

3 hours ago, LGOrioles said:

Their results have both been bad. But looking at Cowser’s xwOBA rolling averages in May, they’re still comfortably above league average. He’s just hitting into bad luck. Mullins averages however show him as being deserving of how he’s looked lately - arguably the worst hitter in the league. 

At some point when it's sustained for more than a month you have to attribute it to more than bad luck.

5 hours ago, Yossarian said:

If I had to criticize one thing about Henderson, it would be that horrible walk-up song they play as he approaches the plate.   I don't know if he has any control of that,  but it is the worst. 

He specifically requested that song. While it might be annoying to some of us, the fans at the ballpark seem to enjoy it, especially in the splash zone.

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Low or Lao. Everybody says something different 

I believe there was a time when Brandon Lowe, Josh Lowe, & his brother Nathaniel Lowe were all on the Rays at the same time. A broadcaster's nightmare, to say the least.

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I hope there's nothing bad going on in Cedric's personal life. He just doesn't seem like the same guy from previous seasons with the way he carries himself, body language and all.

At one point when he struck out tonight he slammed his bat down so hard that it broke into 2 pieces. I'm sure he was still upset about what happened to Mateo. Mullins is normally a lot more even-keeled than that.