Norby and Vespi coming up?

Bird Lady

I don't think it's unrealistic that if Norby hits some and doesn't play embarrassingly bad defense he'll stick around. Westy pipped Frazier last year, so there is a precedent that if you come up and handle your own, you'll be given a shot.

40 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I am skeptical, too.  I expect Norby to go back down after Mateo's head clears up.  This'll be short lived.

I certainly expect this to be short-lived unless for some reason Norby tears it up at the plate.

29 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don't think it's unrealistic that if Norby hits some and doesn't play embarrassingly bad defense he'll stick around. Westy pipped Frazier last year, so there is a precedent that if you come up and handle your own, you'll be given a shot.

Agree but the difference with Westy's situation is that Frazier was a bad defender. 

Norby is downgrade from both Mateo and Westburg at 2B. And if Westy gets hurt, you'd still have great defense at 3B with Urias. 

It's hard to get rid of trustworthy defenders. 

29 minutes ago, Malike said:

Westburg was considered a high level prospect than Norby and Frazier was significantly under performing, especially defensively which I think surprised Elias and Hyde, so I don't think they are the same.

The Orioles rightfully like their Westburg, Henderson, Mateo, Mountcastle infield defense. When Mateo is cleared, he'll be back and Norby doesn't have enough defensive flexibility in the infield to replace Urias. Plus, the Orioles rightfully like Urias' defense at 3B so they are comfortable with him filling there when Mateo or Westburg need a day off. 

Norby will go back unless Hays gets hurt and he then becomes the right-handed corner outfielder. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Westburg was considered a high level prospect than Norby and Frazier was significantly under performing, especially defensively which I think surprised Elias and Hyde, so I don't think they are the same.

The Orioles rightfully like their Westburg, Henderson, Mateo, Mountcastle infield defense. When Mateo is cleared, he'll be back and Norby doesn't have enough defensive flexibility in the infield to replace Urias. Plus, the Orioles rightfully like Urias' defense at 3B so they are comfortable with him filling there when Mateo or Westburg need a day off. 

Norby will go back unless Hays gets hurt and he then becomes the right-handed corner outfielder. 

If he hits and plays defense, they will probably make a case to keep him up. They could use a RHB off the bench. I'm not saying he pips anyone in the IF but if he's not horrible in the OF he could end up getting time out there in a corner.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

What do you make of Urias' bad statcast numbers outside 2022?  He doesn't look as bad as he's graded on OAA, but it seems like something to be concerned about.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

If he hits and plays defense, they will probably make a case to keep him up. They could use a RHB off the bench. I'm not saying he pips anyone in the IF but if he's not horrible in the OF he could end up getting time out there in a corner.

Who goes when Mateo comes back if Norby stays?

4 minutes ago, Hallas said:

What do you make of Urias' bad statcast numbers outside 2022?  He doesn't look as bad as he's graded on OAA, but it seems like something to be concerned about.

Urias' lack of arm strength hurts him on plays coming in and towards 3B. It has really fallen off this year with his max throw only being at 78.4 MPH this season. Personally I think his best attribute as a defender is that he doesn't make a lot of errors. All of his game has fallen off this year and he really just looks like a guy who turned 30-today, and may be at the end of his big league career. 

The problem is if he gets taken off the roster, who plays 3B when Westburg needs a day off? Guess you could move Gunnar over for a game here and there, but they probably really rather not do that since he's the everyday SS. 

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Who goes when Mateo comes back if Norby stays?

Stowers maybe? Santander is heating up, I assume Cowser is going nowhere despite not hitting for a month.

Just now, Pushmonkey said:

Stowers

Perhaps. I think there is more opportunity for Stowers to get playing time than Norby in the outfield and Stowers is a better defensive outfielder. I mean, I wouldn't put it past them to send Stowers back since they struggle to get him consistent at bats, but I think Norby goes back. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

DFAing Vieira let's me sleep more soundly tonight. Got to wonder why this didn't happen before Sunday's game since they were short in the pen after Saturday's game. 

Could there be a bit of a Hyde/Elias disconnect?

Hyde mentioned in his press conference that "Tate was the righthander available" when talking about his outing yesterday.

Vieira is rigthhanded and hadn't pitched in 6 days. 

Is that a subtle indication that Elias put someone on the roster that Hyde simply did not want to use?

Just now, SteveA said:

Could there be a bit of a Hyde/Elias disconnect?

Hyde mentioned in his press conference that "Tate was the righthander available" when talking about his outing yesterday.

Vieira is rigthhanded and hadn't pitched in 6 days. 

Is that a subtle indication that Elias put someone on the roster that Hyde simply did not want to use?

Good catch. No manager wants to be short a reliever and after watching that clownshow of a performance by Vieira in his Orioles debut, as well almost his entire major league career, I could see why Hyde would be reluctant to pitch him in anything but a blow out.

The fact that Elias DFA'd Vieira a day after forcing Hyde to manage a reliever short suggest there was/is some kind of disconnect. My guess is Hyde pleaded his case to get Vieira off his roster and it was finally granted after the short bullpen forced Hyde to overuse Tate a day after he pitched an inning (14 pitches).

Now Vespi is here and he can bridge two innings if needed under the right circumstances.