Manny Machado

kidrock

Is he switching to becoming a full time DH? Looks at his games played at 3rd vs DH:

2022 - 134 (3rd), 15 (DH)

2023 - 105 (3rd), 33 (DH)

2024 - 26 (3rd), 37 (DH)

I am not a dWAR expert, but the trend to me seems to be that the Padres are moving him off the field.  Seems like a shame considering how good he was at defense back in the day.  

Also, his OPS+ has had a pretty solid 3 year decline at this point:

2022 - 157

2023 - 113

2024 - 100

The Padres owe him 9 more years at 315m.  Crazytown to me.

Manny had an opt-out at the end of 2023 so I guess the Padres felt like they had to extend him (11 years, 350 million) or risk losing him. Personally, I felt like the extension would turn into a nightmare for San Diego rather quickly, and I probably would have let him walk if somebody else wanted to pay him.

Manny had elbow surgery at the end of last season and didn’t play 3B until April 26 this year.  Since then he’s mostly played 3B, but I see he’s DH’d the last three games.  My guess is he’s still dealing with the after-effects of the surgery.  It’s been a tough two years for Manny, as he also broke his wrist last May and missed a couple of weeks.   Bottom line, these haven’t been the two healthiest years for Manny.  

As to his contract, I thought the original deal was fine but the five year extension was stupid.  I do think his injuries explain some of his decline the last two years and expect him to bounce back, but there’s no doubt that the last part of his contract could be extremely ugly.