What does the Bradish injury really mean?

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, kidrock said:

Mayo and Basallo could give us 12 total years of above average play for incredibly cheap.  It could range from bad to elite of course.  I’m not sure one season is ever worth losing that.  

How is a guy named kidrock the reasonable one here? Mayo and Basallo are much more valuable than whatever quick fix they’ll bring at the deadline. 6-8 weeks ago nobody thought we’d even see Bradish this season. If this is all we get out of him, it’s more than we should’ve expected. 

1 hour ago, kidrock said:

Mayo and Basallo could give us 12 total years of above average play for incredibly cheap.  It could range from bad to elite of course.  I’m not sure one season is ever worth losing that.  

It's not and I'd be shocked if Elias goes that route.

He's incredibly disciplined, IMO.  He hasn't ever once veered from his goal.  And I think it bears repeating here, but he said his goal on Day 1 when he got here.

“The plan is simple,” he said. “We’re going to build an elite talent pipeline.”

He's not going to waver from that.  Ever.  He's not going to trade elite talent in the system for a one year run.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think this injury means that Povich will get more starts with the Orioles this season than we all thought. Man, we went into the season with these starters:

Burnes, Bradish, Grayson, Means, Wells, Kremer, Irvin, Suarez and Povich

We now are relying on starters 7, 8 and 9 to win

We did not start the Season with Bradish or Means, back in April most here thought Bradish was gone for the year and the way Means was rehabbing his career was over

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

We will probably see Povich get regular starts for the next 6 weeks.   The rookie could be big in the pennant race.  25 year old Boddicker stepped up in 1983 for the O's.   He had never done that before but going 16-8 that year helped the O's to the World Series.   We will see what Povich can show Elias before the deadline.

Good comp (let's hope). The power of the killer curve ball!

You 100% have to trade for a pitcher.  Not only to use for this year but you are going to need at least one for next year assuming he has TJ surgery.

Sad news but I guess we can't be surprised.   In fact I think I saw the pitch he hurt it on.  It was I think in the 5th on a VERY HIGH FASTBALL.  I said to my wife  "that looks kind of like a pitch that Bautista hurt himself with last year.  I hope he didn't just hurt himself."

Sure enough.....he had. 

23 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I'm not talking about writing them off. But I am certainly not for believing that any of those three is going to be a number 2 or 3 starter and pitch us through multiple rounds and on to the World Series. That would be sort of the definition of "magical thinking". Bradish, before he got hurt was able to go pitch for pitch against Suarez and keep their offense in check. I think it would be foolish to expect that kind of performance on the biggest stage (October baseball) of Kremer, Irvin, Povich, or Suarez. None of them COMBINED have ever been anything like that before. That doesn't mean that they can't help the team, but not as a credible/suitable replacement for Bradish.

40% through this season Albert Suarez has shown he can compete with anyone.  The O's are giving him better game planning, catchers, defense and coaching than he has ever had.    He has shown he can make a lot of starts and pitch a lot of innings.   He is the one to watch to step in for Bradish IMO.

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's incredibly disciplined, IMO.  He hasn't ever once veered from his goal.  And I think it bears repeating here, but he said his goal on Day 1 when he got here.

He's not going to waver from that.  Ever.  He's not going to trade elite talent in the system for a one year run.  

Which is good, but could also lead us turning into the 90's Braves, always making the playoffs but with only one championship to show for it

Bigger picture is what is going on with all of these elbow injuries?   Has to be related to this emphasis on spin and rev rate.     Must be creating  a tremendous amount of stress on the elbow to try and get the max revs.

Even non pitchers are having issues too which has nothing to do with rev rate.  Crazy stuff.

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Bigger picture is what is going on with all of these elbow injuries?   Has to be related to this emphasis on spin and rev rate.     Must be creating  a tremendous amount of stress on the elbow to try and get the max revs.

Even non pitchers are having issues too which has nothing to do with rev rate.  Crazy stuff.

They are going to keep throwing bodies at the problem.  I've yet to hear of an active pitcher that's going to change their approach.  The ones I heard comment on it seem fine with the risk.

In the spirit of completely baseless and irresponsible speculation, here is how I am handicapping outcomes:

40% - TJ returning some time around August 2025 (give or take a month)

25% - TJ returning in 2026

10% - out for year (non-surgical rehab, bad tendinitis, bone spur surgery, some other elbow thing) but back in April 2025

10% - misses some time and returns this year but plagued by recurring injuries or ineffectiveness for rest of year 

10% - misses 3-12 weeks but returns as effective pitcher by end of year

5% - miss 15-21 days and returns as effective pitcher 

0% - no IL stint (even if testing shows best news possible, O’s will be cautious)

35 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What do you consider elite talent.  Where do you draw the line.   He traded Ortiz and Hall for one year of Burnes.

Would he trade Kjerstad, Norby, DeLeon, and Chace for 2 1/2 years of Garrett Crochet?      

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They are going to keep throwing bodies at the problem.  I've yet to hear of an active pitcher that's going to change their approach.  The ones I heard comment on it seem fine with the risk.

Yeah if you can get paid $20 M a year to pitch with spin, you can't really blame them.