Pick your 40 man roster (protect list) for Nov 20th.

wildcard

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

lol about to start a series with the Yankees that could have us in first place by Thursday and wildcard is starting threads about November. 

It’s a good trade deadline question. It’s not super common, but looking ahead at 40-man roster crunch does affect the prospects who become available for teams with really deep 40-man rosters and strong upper level minors systems. For example, it almost certainly played a role in the Rays trading Seth Johnson. More recently, the Dodgers had some 40-man crunch this off-season and that motivated a handful of trades. 

However, I don’t think the Orioles are to that point. They still have enough 40-man space for the prospects who will clearly need to be added.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

My thread is really about who Elias may trade before the trade deadline at the end of July.

It will be interesting to see if a small July trade occurs in the style of the Rays or Dodgers with stuffed 40-man rosters.

Michael Busch and Bryan Hudson having been guys the Dodgers moved along last winter for off 40 man types is a level  no one else is at, but if Orioles PD success rate stays high they may get closer than most of the other 29 clubs.   

How many real keepers are on Delmarva right now?     How many of McDermott, Young, Johnson, Bright, De Leon, Baumeister, Forret, etc. become full time Orioles?

3 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

It’s a good trade deadline question. It’s not super common, but looking ahead at 40-man roster crunch does affect the prospects who become available for teams with really deep 40-man rosters and strong upper level minors systems. For example, it almost certainly played a role in the Rays trading Seth Johnson. More recently, the Dodgers had some 40-man crunch this off-season and that motivated a handful of trades. 

However, I don’t think the Orioles are to that point. They still have enough 40-man space for the prospects who will clearly need to be added.

The Britton trade allowed the Yankees to trade some guys that would have been subjected to the 40 man crunch (Tate for example).

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

You’re right, he was not optioned in 2022, but he was first optioned September 8, 2021 by the Blue Jays. It’s in the extra rows of latest transactions on his player page: https://www.mlb.com/player/bryan-baker-641329

I use the Roster Resource page on Fangraphs, which shows he’s on his last option this year: https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/orioles

I initially didn’t check when he was first optioned, just assumed it was 2022, but turns out it was 2021. Regardless, he’ll be out of options next year. 

OK, thanks for pointing out the 2021 option.  I had missed it.   So he will be out of options next year which could affect whether they bring him back.

Edited by wildcard

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

OK, thanks for pointing out the 2021 option.  I had missed it.   So he will be out of options next year which could affect whether they bring him back.

It of course all depends on how he pitches this year, but I think he has a good chance of hanging on the 40-man all offseason to be depth in Spring Training. If everyone is healthy he gets DFAd before the season, but if anybody is out then he slots in and is the first DFA when they need it. Similar to Baumann this season. 

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Britton trade allowed the Yankees to trade some guys that would have been subjected to the 40 man crunch (Tate for example).

Yup, another good example. It is definitely a factor, just IMO not quite to that point for the Orioles yet.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

It will be interesting to see if a small July trade occurs in the style of the Rays or Dodgers with stuffed 40-man rosters.

Michael Busch and Bryan Hudson having been guys the Dodgers moved along last winter for off 40 man types is a level  no one else is at, but if Orioles PD success rate stays high they may get closer than most of the other 29 clubs.   

How many real keepers are on Delmarva right now?     How many of McDermott, Young, Johnson, Bright, De Leon, Baumeister, Forret, etc. become full time Orioles?

Yeah, we kind of need to revisit this after the trade deadline when we will have a better idea of which assets we have left to protect. We may also have a better idea of openings on the 40 man. 

• Upvote 1