Relax about the pitching

eddie83

Personally, I think this team needs a dependable middle of the rotation arm. Suarez doesn't go deep enough, so he's probably best in a middle reliever role.

Basically that means your rotation looks something like this:

• Burnes
  • Grayson
  • Irvin
  • Povich
  • ???

Povich I think can be very good. But you can't rely on Suarez or Kremer. I like Kremer as a back of the rotation arm, but his health is a concern.

So, to that end, you need that spot filled. FWIW, I'm on record really liking McDermott, but more of a bullpen arm this year. 

I'd feel a lot better about this rotation if Irvin was #4 and Povich #5. 

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I also like how no one here's relaxing about the pitching, despite the demands of the title.

It’s surprising because usually when you tell someone to relax or calm down, they immediately do it. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Teams to target for SP help based on standings: White Sox, Angels, Athletics, Marlins, Rockies, Giants

• Erick Fedde (White Sox) - 3.05 ERA, 3.53 FIP, 1.145 WHIP. Signed through 2025. 
  • Tyler Anderson (Angels) - 2.48 ERA, 4.55 FIP, 1.177 WHIP. Signed through 2025. I'm not as sold on Anderson, though. His 1.54 SO/W is pretty lackluster.
  • JP Sears (Athletics) - 5.04 ERA, 4.95 FIP, 1.333 WHIP. Signed through 2028. Profiles more of a back of the rotation arm. 
  • Trevor Rodgers (Marlins) - 4.90 ERA, 4.50 FIP, 1.553 WHIP. Signed through 2026.
  • Cal Quantrill (Rockies) - 3.50 ERA, 4.32 FIP, 1.300 WHIP. Signed through 2025. 
  • Logan Webb (Giants) - 3.16 ERA, 2.75 FIP, 1.225 WHIP. Signed through 2028.

Now, I think you can nix Logan Webb from this realistically. He's elite, young, controllable for far too long. The Giants would want an absolute haul.

To me, you're going to not want to overpay due to controllability. So that nixes JP Sears, which really doesn't matter because he's not all that special.

Who would you rather have out of Fedde, Anderson, Rodgers, or Quantrill?

Fedde doesn't have a track record to suggest that his performance is sustainable, but his numbers are the best. To me, it'd be in this order:

1. Fedde
  2. Quantrill
  3. Anderson
  4. Rodgers

I don't think anybody else is going to be doing a fire-sale. Maybe circumstances changes for teams like the Blue Jays, Rangers, Tigers, or Rays. But not at this time.

Fedde seems like he'd be the most affordable. If the other teams I mentioned end up selling (Jays, Rangers, Tigers, Rays), there are a ton of folks to try and trade for. 

Logan Webb will be 28 this year. I wouldn't call him young, but he's definitely old. He's in his prime.

I don't think he is as off limits. The Giants haven't gone anywhere with him the last few years and won't this year. They have a very expensive payroll (over 200 million) and he is making a low salary. Plus they don't have many top prospects. They are stuck in mediocrity and a very expensive. Really, the worse place to be in pro sports...just spinning your wheels over and over.

However, as you suggest, they will and should want a haul for him. But we are in a position to give them 3-4 Major League ready bats AND still have two top 15-20 prospects. ALONG with then having 2 upper echelon arms for October and the wildcard Grayson.

I'm concerned that Fedde is not a real difference maker/needle mover. And then we have waisted another season of Adley/Gunnar. Without extending them (if that is even possible at this point) the time is ticking away. And it is unlikely that we will ever have a roster more talented than the one(s) that include those two.

4.5 years of an elite pitcher. I can't remember the last time somebody made a trade for somebody like that. That's going to require a haul similar to Juan Soto. 

SS C.J. Abrams
LHP MacKenzie Gore
OF Robert Hassell III
OF James Wood
RHP Jarlin Susana

In all of baseball, Abrams and Gore were Top 10, Hassell Top 50. James Wood wasn't Top 100 at the time, but he entered it shortly thereafter.

Now, I get it. Juan Soto essentially was best in baseball *and* super young. But he also only had 2.5 years left on his contract. You'd be getting another 2 in this situation.

The conversation for Webb is going to start with one of Basallo or Holliday in conjunction with Mayo, Kjerstad and some lower-level players. 

13 hours ago, Philip said:

Seems as good a place as any to post this exchange from tonight’s MLBTraderumors chat.

IMG_1734.jpeg

Well, the "for instance" paragraph seems to have the needs stated backwards, but I've been a fan of this idea for a while. 

I want to see how Kremer does after he comes back up, same for Coloumbe, and  I'd like to see a couple more strong outings in a row by GRod. But I admit I'm not at all relaxed about Os pitching, especially bullpen arms (Tate and Cionel just too inconsistent, Cano always on the brink, Kimbrel perpetually walking a tightrope, Baker too good to be true). 

Last week, someone I was listening to (or reading?) reminded me of what's even more worrisome than us needing pitching and there being very little out there, and that's that the Yankees will likely try to get any good pitching any way they can if for no other reason than to keep the Orioles from getting them. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Scherzer didn't pitch against us, got lit up against Houston and only pitched three innings in the World Series.   

Monty had mixed results in the playoffs.  He was great against Tampa, not great against us, great against Houston and not great against the Diamondbacks.

Chapman has a 5.40 ERA in the World Series but was solid before that.

These players are big names but let's not pretend that they were all dominant in the playoffs and World Series.  

A valid points, but these three did help the Rangers make the playoffs. Without them likely equals no WS and possibly the playoffs

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I also like how no one here's relaxing about the pitching, despite the demands of the title.

People are overreacting to one bad week and the entire sport has issues. That’s the point. Deadline is 5 weeks away and they aren’t getting someone tomorrow. 

There is not a superstar arm coming to save the Orioles. 

1 hour ago, LGOrioles said:

I don’t think Bradish was great last year but hard to fault him too much. He only went 4.2 IP, but had 9 K’s to 1 BB. He gave up 7 hits (.583 BABIP), but had a 40% whiff rate and nearly a negative FIP. Obviously the results weren’t amazing (3.86 ERA), but the problem was definitely Rodriguez and game 3.

They likely can’t win without good Grod regardless of who is their number 3, but I definitely do not think Kremer or Irvin can be that number 3. They don’t need an ace but they need someone that is better than Kremer/Irvin. Fedde keeps coming to mind due to his season so far (3.05 ERA, 3.37 xERA, 2.1 WAR) and the fact he is under contract next year too. He’s not the sexy name, but he’s been legitimately good, would be their clear number 3, would help next year, does not have major platoon splits, and would not cost one of their top guys. 

He was fine but Orioles lost a heartbreaker. Grayson threw a dud. 

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

People are overreacting to one bad week and the entire sport has issues. That’s the point. Deadline is 5 weeks away and they aren’t getting someone tomorrow. 

There is not a superstar arm coming to save the Orioles. 

First of all, it was a bad weekend (not week) and was totally expected.

Secondly, the reaction is to the obvious pitching issues the team has.  It would be naive and just wrong to not acknowledge it.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, O's84 said:

You're relying on Irvin/Suarez/Povich/Kremer as your #3 starter.  Then you still need a #4.  That's just not going to cut it.  And that's before mentioning the pen, even with off days.  We need better pitchers if we want to make a deep run realistically.  

Here will be the AL playoff schedule. FOX  already announced on a CFB  press release the WS is starting on a Friday again. The leagues usually rotate the off days. Last year NL had off day after Game 1 of DS and year before it was AL 

Sunday end reg season 

OFF DAY

AL WC

Tueday 10/1 (1)   CB             BYE

10/2 (2)  GR

10/3 (3)  #3

OFF DAY

ALDS 

Sat 10/5 (1)       #4             CB

OFF DAY

10/7 (2)     CB             GR

OFF DAY 

10/9 (3)   GR             #3 

10/10 (4)  #3             CB

OFF DAY

10/12 (5) CB             GR

OFF DAY

ALCS

Mon 10/14 (1) GR             #3

10/15 (2) #3/4          CB

OFF DAY 

10/17 (3) CB               GR

10/18 (4) # 3/4          #4

10/19 (5) GR             #3

OFF DAY  

10/21    (6) # 3/4          CB

10/22 (7) CB              GR

OFF DAY
OFF DAY

WORLD SERIES 

FRI  10/25 (1) GR             #3 

10/26 (2) #3/4          CB

OFF DAY
        10/28 (3) CB            GR

10/29 (4) # 3/4       #4

10/30 (5) GR             #3 

OFF DAY

11/1 (6) 3/4            CB

11/2 (7) CB             GR

I’ve posted 2 scenarios. One with a bye and one without and that’s with both series going the distance. Winning the division sets up 4/5 DS games being started by your 1/2. Obviously winning the series in a shorter number of games has a huge impact as well. 

CB/GR would start 13/22 games 

CB/GR would start 12/19 games 

You are playing a max of 3 consecutive games before off days.