Bring up Mayo already!!

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, LGOrioles said:

You’re right that it is all part of the normal ebb and flow of the season, but that number can be kind of deceiving too. They have scored 69 runs in their last 13 games (going back to the Braves series). 66 of those were scored without the ghost runner (first 9 innings of the game). 36% (24) of those runs scored in the last 13 games came in the last NYY game or the 8th inning against Houston. They’ve had a tough schedule but those 10 innings heavily skew their recent numbers and I think that is why it kind of feels worse than the overall numbers show. They had one great game and one amazing inning, other than that, they have not been very good the last 2 weeks. 

You could say the exact same thing about the last three games skewing the data that the offense a lot.  They had scored 4.6 runs a game against the Braves, Phillies, and Yankees going into the last game against New York.  That is with facing Fried, Suarez, Wheeler, Cortes, and Cole along with a very good to great bullpen from the Braves, Yanks, and Phillies.  The Phillies have the best ERa in the league at 3.09 and we scored 17 runs in 3 games which is almost 6 runs a game.  The Yankees Era is 3.21 and we scored 9 runs in two games then 17 the last game.  The Braves ERa is 3.59 and we scored 11 runs in 3 games.  So to say the offense has not been good for two weeks is just wrong.  They haven’t been good for the last 3 games.  They were decent vs the Braves, great against the Phillies, pretty good 1st two games vs Yanks.  Amazing the last Yankees game and 1st Astros game and then been horrible last 3.  

The offense will be fine.  You can’t expect them to score 5 runs a game against the best pitching staffs.  The last 4 of 5 series we have faced the Braves 8th in ERA, the Phillies 1st in ERA, the Yankees 2nd in ERA, and the Guardians, 5th in ERA.  The Astros are 20th but Blanco is 3rd in ERA and Valdez is very good.  The other teams have good players as well so it comes down to getting a few timely hits and converting your chances.  We need someone to get that big hit which we haven’t gotten the last 3 games going 1-14.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Hays is not a plus LF.  Urias is not a plus 3B.   The biggest difference in defense is probably between Cowser and Kjerstad in LF.    You just talked about pitchers struggling and defense.  If that’s the case you don’t replace Cowser with Kjerstad in LF.

The bottom line is that right now they feel the team is better balancing offense and defense with Urias and/or Mateo playing the infield over bringing up Mayo.  That opinion may change tomorrow or it might not until much later.  They think they will win more games with the veterans than throwing another rookie in the mix.  I think they will give Kjersted a good 3-4 week run and if he produces that will continue.  Kjersted and/or Mayo could also get traded for the right deal as well if it significantly helps the pitching staff.  

I know the offense is "fine", but with the way our pitching staff is going, we are going to have to start winning more slugfests. Mayo may not hit when he first comes up, that's why he needs to come up now. Let him start the adjustment period. If we wait and bring him up at the end of the year, do you want him adjusting during the playoffs? If he does hit right away, then great. We also don't need him at 3B all the time. Let him DH more. Adley doesn't have to DH every time McCann catches. It's okay to give him a day off here and there. 

Urias had a 2.7 fwar in 2022.  0.7 last year.  0.0 this year.   If you think Coby Mayo is going to be significantly worse and think he’s going to sabotage the Orioles chances by giving him Urias 3B AB’s then by all means, argue that he shouldn’t be brought up.

I’d argue that the upside, short term and long term, is too much not to take that chance now?    

• Upvote 2

This is a really tough call.

All offseason, I kept asking the same thing…how many young players/rookies is too many at one time?

The other side to that question is, how many middling vets is too many?

At some point this year, the Os have to make room for Holliday (when does he come back from his injury and then get the at bats he needs to get back up to speed?) and Mayo.

They are both too good, too talented and have too much upside not to do that.

How does that happen?

The Os are not going to play Mayo at third if Holliday is on the team.  So unless he stays down all year (doubtful), the Os need to play Mayo elsewhere. He obviously can DH and play first on occasion but RF is looking less and less likely for the 2024 season.

If you have both of them on the team, the definite other players would be Gunnar, Adley, Westburg, McCann, Cowser, OHearn, Mounty and Santander.  

If you have Holliday, Westburg, Mayo and Gunnar all on the team, you do not need either Urias or Mateo although I suspect one of them will be here.

That leaves you with 2 more spots for Kjerstad, Mullins and Hays.

Hays, at least on his current trajectory, is a RH OFer that is hitting lefties well this year. Mullins represents CF defense that you don’t have outside of Cowser and Kjerstad gives you more upside than either but is the likely odd man out.

So, to get both Holliday and Mayo here, you have to trade one of the UTI IFers and likely say bye to Kjerstad again.(maybe he is traded but at least sent down)

Seems to me that the best case scenario would be to trade Urias or Mateo and deal one of Mountcastle, OHearn or Santander but I tend to doubt they would deal either of them during the season.

Mayo can come up to play third for now but when Holliday is ready, the problem arises. Of course, this assumes Mayo comes up and performs well.

Many larger deals in MLB end up with at least one ML player going back to the other team, so I think there is good potential for someone(s) being dealt.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Hays is not a plus LF.  Urias is not a plus 3B.   The biggest difference in defense is probably between Cowser and Kjerstad in LF.    You just talked about pitchers struggling and defense.  If that’s the case you don’t replace Cowser with Kjerstad in LF.

I disagree that Urias is not a plus 3B.   He is.   He just is not a good hitter.  He is a good defensive replacement if Mayo in up.

What is happening here is that the O's as a team are tired.   Too many games in a row.  And they  are not hitting good pitching.    2 runs per games is not going to win many games.     Good pitching is what they are going to see in the playoffs so they need to reconfigure to try to hit better.

Mayo is not a bad idea.   Yes they give up some defense for offense but they need to see if that is a winning formula.

For now I would try Mayo up and Cowser optioned.  Cowser has not been hitting.  He could use some time at AAA to get going.  Make some adjustments.    Cowser is one of the O's better defensive  outfielders but Mullins and Hays are both hitting better recently and Santander is hot.   They have to see what the impact of Kjerstad is while he is up.   He has to play.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

You aren’t losing a player other than Maton for Kjerstad.