Does Elias dare trade Hays at the deadline?

wildcard

1 minute ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

How are the reports of Norby’s outfield defense? 

There are none.  Lol

I believe @Tony-OH thinks he looks adequate or better in the corners.   I’ve seen him look good coming in on fly balls but I’ve never seen him have to make an over-the-shoulder going back type.

For the playoffs, which LH SPs are we really gameplanning here?  In the AL, 

NYY = Rodon, Cortes

BOS = nobody

CLE = Allen is nonthreatening

MINN

KCR = Ragans (is kinda reverse splits guy)

SEA = nobody

HOU (maybe playoff team) = Framber

In terms of RPs, I think there are things Hyde can do with lineup to separate handedness to mitigate impacts.

So net/net I don’t see huge need here, which IMO means Hays is perfect as limited platoon option and role player.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You would expect him to be worse but I wouldn’t be surprised if the difference isn’t huge.   Hays is not that good.

I just think when you factor in Hays' experience and comfort out there, and his excellent arm, knowing where to throw, etc, it's an easy call. Just my opinion. But I do agree that Norby could surprise out there if given an extended look. 

Edited by interloper

We've essentially got 7 guys (Cowser, Kjerstad, Hays, Mullins, Santander, O'Hearn, and Mountcastle) for 5 positions (OF, DH, 1B).  This is further muddied by the fact that Adley DH's frequently.  While it is a challenge it does afford the O's the ability to ride a hot bat and to sit the guys who are cold a bit more.  This should also help keep them fresh for the long haul.

As has been mentioned, Hays being a right-handed hitter is useful and he is good defensive player.  I think he will play less than the others but maintains value to the team.  

Right now, Kjerstad and Mullins basically have to play against righties.  Santander seems to be cooling off.  Hopefully Cowser is on the verge of another power surge.  It's a good problem to have.  I actually think it's more likely that one of the young guys gets traded in a package for an impact arm than Hays being traded for not much.

• Upvote 2