What makes Basallo so untouchable?

CP0861

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

Is Basallo at all comparable to Vlad Jr, who hits well but defends lousy? Every caveat about Basallo is his defense, including bad footwork that would presumably limit him to 1B or DH. So is there a worry he’d be like Vlad, who is severely handicapped by his defense?

Here's Tony's take.  Basallo has a strong arm for sure.  ABS may help him more than hurt him as a C.  I tend to think he sticks at C even if it's a bat-first type.  Perfect to pair with Adley for a couple of years.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm literally giving you the guys that he shares a RC+ with from AA at age 19.  Read into what you will.  His numbers are comparable to Acuna, Soto, Holliday, and Caminero.  

And I literally just compared/posted ACTUAL stats of all the guys you mentioned. Sorry I just don't blindly buy into the list. How dare I question anything.

We can stop the thread now guys....because RC+ says so! Basallo = Soto!

Edited by CP0861

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You have to consider how cold and rainy it was in April when looking at Basallo's numbers.  Heck, look at the O's MLB team numbers compared to May and June.  Terrible conditions in the mid atlantic in April.  

So did you miss the post where I looked at the last 2 weeks? He's hitting .235 with 1 HR.

• Confused 1

I don't get why Basallo is such a dividing player sometimes in terms of opinions.  I guess Mayo and Holliday are in AAA and Basallo is viewed as more of a long term toy that Elias is hoarding???  And if we don't trade Basallo, then we must not want to do enough to win a WS???

Is this what people are thinking?  

I'm thinking we have 3 top 5-7 prospects in all of baseball, and that we have plenty to land us a Game 2/3 SP, and two high leverage relievers, without touching Mayo, Basallo, Holliday, Kjerstad, and Povich.  

It seems to me that some are anti rental.  So the expectations are that Elias must not only when a WS this year, but then also have the starting rotation sorted out for 2025+ right now in this offseason.  

The Royal Straight Flush.  Seams realistic.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

6 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

The last two weeks. Mmm

Don't get too excited, or confused. Obviously a sss, of course. Not saying it's the end all be all as a measurement, but he used cold weather as an excuse. So now, recently, in HOT June...after dozens of games to warm up, he's not doing any better. That's all.

Edited by CP0861

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't get why Basallo is such a dividing player sometimes in terms of opinions.  I guess Mayo and Holliday are in AAA and Basallo is viewed as more of a long term toy that Elias is hoarding???  And if we don't trade Basallo, then we must not want to do enough to win a WS???

I'm thinking we have 3 top 5-7 prospects in all of baseball, and that we have plenty to land us a Game 2/3 SP, and two high leverage relievers.  

It seems to me that some are anti rental.  So the expectations are that Elias must not only when a WS this year, but then also have the starting rotation sorted out for 2025+ right now in this offseason.  

I don't think anyone here disagrees.

How many deals show a top-10 overall (in all of baseball) type prospect being traded for a SP. Now, look at the names of those pitchers and compare it to what is out there now. The Orioles may one day need to deal a top-3 guy in their system, but the return has to be someone like Verlander on Scherzer with at least 2 more full seasons of control after the trade deadline season is complete. I do not think there are 30 number ones in MLB, but I would need one to deal 6-seasons of team control at a premium position.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm thinking we have 3 top 5-7 prospects in all of baseball, and that we have plenty to land us a Game 2/3 SP, and two high leverage relievers, without touching Mayo, Basallo, Holliday, Kjerstad, and Povich.  

The question was asked somewhere of the Rangers fans, whether they were fine with a terrible season this year if they won the World Series last season.

The answer is of course yes it’s OK to have a terrible season in the year after winning a World Series, especially given that that’s exactly what is happening now.

I would like to be the Cardinals or the Rays, who have an excellent team every single year, avoid stupid free agent contracts, trade wisely, spend wisely, and draft very well. 

With that in mind, as long as as we don’t empty our Farm for rentals, or do stupid Davies-for-Parra trades in a “win everything this season and damn the future,” attitude, I don’t care.

When the Jesuit missionaries discovered how to get quinine, which cures and prevents malaria, from the bark of the Chinchona tree, they always planted five trees, in the shape of a cross, for every one they harvested for its bark.

So, whoever we trade, we have to acquire quality and quantity replacements for whomever is departing.

With that guideline in mind, I don’t care who they trade.

5 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

I don't think anyone here disagrees.

If you start penciling in our top prospects into 2025 and 2026 lineups it starts to look stupid good. One of the problems with trading HUGE prospects for players with a couple of years of control is the price tag to keep them. So we have to pay a huge prospect burden just to pay a huge salary. A replacement for the prospect adds a cost and the extension of the SP adds a cost. Personally, I would hold on to the top prospects and trade from the rest. If I did trade a top guy I would want 3+ years of team control on that SP. But... if Bradish and Kremer are not hurt, we are not having this conversation IMO. We are adding a reliever or two and maybe a RH bat.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Malike said:

So if we're being honest he had one bad week, right? The last 7 days are included in the last two weeks.

image.thumb.png.a50f700d28ae4c03a7d9ee39a05834cd.png

Fair enough. I simply looked at the most recent two weeks or 14 games I think (which aside from 1 game are quite underwhelming). I didn't look beyond that. Hopefully he heats back up. Two weeks is already a small enough sample size. I'm sure I could find another mediocre week but I don't really care to go tit for tat with endless cherry picking.

Edited by CP0861