On The Record: Who you'd have taken in the 2024 Draft

The MLB Draft is not the same as the NFL Draft because some teams try to strategize their available bonus pool, as opposed to the NFL Draft where it's far easier to just take the best guy in each round. So, it's not necessarily fair to compare your choices to those actually made.

With that said, I'd like us to go 'On The Record' and share who we'd have taken, at least with picks 22 & 32.  I'll start and we can laugh at these picks in a couple of years. :)

• 1st Round (22): RHP Brody Brecht, Iowa, 6'4-235
  • Comp Pick (32): RHP Bryce Cunningham, Vanderbilt, 6'5-230
  • 2nd Round (61): RHP Luke Holman, LSU, 6'4-201

• 1st Round (22): LHP Cam Caminiti
  • Comp Pick (32): RHP Ryan Sloan

I don't know enough about the guys that were available at 61, but I would have taken another pitcher.

Edited by Go_Os
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Would have taken Brecht at #22 and Tyson Lewis #32.   With hindsight, knowing Brecht was available at #32, would have taken Kellon Lindsey #22 and Brecht #32.    

I was 60/40 on Brecht and Lindsey at 22, so I get you.  I thought Cunningham was underrated a bit and chose him over another HS guy in Ryan Sloan.  The bonus pool was the factor there, as I didn't know where the O's were in that regard and Sloan was expected to ask a lot.  Holman was another close call over yet another HS guy in Dasan Hill.  Would have preferred Hill but knew Holman could arrive much quicker as a collegian and that turned out to be the theme for me.  That is not how I normally go about my own 'Who I'd Have Taken' each year, but the need feels great.

• 4 weeks later...

In 2023, I did the 'Who I would've taken' draft thing, as well:

ORIOLES GREG
17  CF ENRIQUE BRADFIELD JR CF ENRIQUE BRADFIELD JR
53  OF MAC HORVATH LHP ALEX CLEMMEY 
63  RHP JACKSON BAUMEISTER LHP CAMERON JOHNSON

In 2024 I did the same:

ORIOLES GREG
22  CF VANCE HONEYCUTT RHP BRODY BRECHT
32  SS GRIFF O'FERRALL RHP BRYCE CUNNINGHAM
61  C ETHAN ANDERSON RHP LUKE HOLMAN

After the first couple of rounds, it gets muddy in trying to access signing bonuses and draft pool strategies.  So, I usually stop after the first few picks.  Elias will likely have the better choices in the picks I've illustrated above, but I felt the need was great last year too.  HS arms are usually taboo for me, in the early part of the draft.  But even I break down and partake on occasion.  This past draft (2024) I really focused on pitching, despite that being something I don't normally do.