Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

4 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

The Tigers have been on a tear and are edging back into the wild card picture.  I don't think Skubal is going to be on the market anymore.  

It's an up hill battle.  Tigers lost today and now play the Guardians and Twins until the deadline.  

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

It was a typo.  I know how to spell Rubenstein.   A serious doubt that Cal cares about spelling on a message board.   I hope his life is fuller than that.

I seriously doubt that frequent posters on message boards - including this one - care much about the fullness of Cal's life.  Typos happen.  NBD.

10 hours ago, 24fps said:

Normally I don't give a crap about other people's grammar or spelling but names are different.  New minority owner Cal Ripkin would be appalled at such disregard toward his partner don't you think?

If anyone wants to know if Roch reads the OH, just check out his blog today about  misspellings.

• Upvote 1

Norby and Stowers getting spelled out in Morosi's update almost makes me wonder if even Elias is strategically leaking to try and manage Tigers fans expectations for his colleague/competitor Scott Harris.

Scott Harris can have the world's biggest pile of Norbys and Stowerses, and maybe win the AL Central in Jackson Jobe's rookie year.    He can also do this with Tarik Skubal, but that costs more money and expends potential $$$/WAR efficiency.

11 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

The Tigers have been on a tear and are edging back into the wild card picture.  I don't think Skubal is going to be on the market anymore.  

If the Tigers are making decisions based on their slim chances of grabbing a wild card spot this year, they’re stupider than I thought.   

The real question for them is whether they realistically can contend in 2025-26 with or without Skubal, and what they can get for him in exchange.   

8 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Tigers thing could be just a ploy to get other teams to up their offer.

The mere notion that Elias would be using the media for his benefit blows my ever loving mind. That's stuff only the Yankees and Heyman do!!!!!!! 😂

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Hays back on the IL, this time with a Kidney infection. https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/41138346/phillies-austin-hays-goes-il-kidney-infection
    • Nice work on the chart, but I do think the pitch limits are more notable than innings since all innings are not the same. but as you said, I can't imagine that being an easy workload to gather that data.
    • I have no issues with the trade itself but it's a bit disheartening how quickly these guys have improved with new teams.
    • Another thing I should say is that my chart doesn't speak to pitch efficiency or how may pitches teams allow their pitchers to throw.   That data isn't easily collected.   But it could be that O's pitchers don't throw a ton of innings because they walk a lot of guys and reach their pitch count limits sooner than a typical team's pitchers do.
    • On the specific question of whether the O's push their starting pitching prospects' workloads far enough, I had a look at all MiL pitchers in the AL who had thrown at least 90 innings, by team, and broke them into groups of 90-99, 100-109, 110-119, and 120+ innings.   This chart summarizes my findings: Team 120+ 110-119 100-109 90-99 Total 90+ Total 110+ BAL 0 1 4 9 14 1 NYY 4 4 2 6 16 8 BOS 0 3 1 5 9 3 TBR 5 4 4 1 14 9 TOR 1 0 5 2 8 1 CLE 7 3 3 2 15 10 MIN 1 3 3 3 10 4 KCR 3 4 4 7 18 7 DET 0 2 4 7 13 2 CWS 2 3 5 4 14 5 HOU 1 4 6 6 17 5 SEA 4 6 3 4 17 10 TEX 1 1 4 8 14 2 OAK 2 1 2 5 10 3 LAA 4 1 4 4 13 5 AL Ave. 2.33 2.67 3.60 4.87 13.47 5.00 Now, there is some incomplete information here.   It won't pick up a pitcher who had 70 innings with one organization and 20 with another, for example.  It doesn't pick up innings that were thrown in the major leagues, so it misses guys like Cade Povich who has 77 innings in the minors and another 59 in the majors.  It obviously can't tell you which organizations lost pitchers to injuries.  And, it doesn't account for the age and experience of pitchers, which can matter a lot with regard to how much workload a team is comfortable with for a pitcher.    All that said, you can see that the Orioles are at the very bottom of the number of pitchers who have thrown 110+ innings.   They only have one, Alex Pham, who is at 115.   The average team has 5, and two teams have as many as 10.  The O's also are one of only three AL teams that have no pitcher who has thrown 120 innings.  The average team has 2.33, and Cleveland has 7.    I might also add that there are a good number of pitchers on the list who have thrown 130+ innings or more.    On the other hand, the O's have a pretty normal number of pitchers (14) who have thrown at least 90 innings (average was 13.47 and the median was 14).  There are some teams like Boston and Toronto who have a lot fewer than that. All in all, I wouldn't say the Orioles are at the very top of the "baby the pitchers" list, but they are certainly leaning heavily in that direction, based on this data (with the caveats I gave above).
    • Some might call it arrogance, others might call it resolve. I think it's as simple as identifying a problem/situation, analyzing it to the best of your ability and that of the resources at your disposal, reaching a conclusion, and sticking to that decision based on the analysis that brought you to that decision. Beyond that, Elias will learn when and how to adjust as he gains experience in the #1 chair.  Honestly, I don't even have any gripes with him at the moment. We all wanted Holliday up, then he stunk. Then we all wanted Mayo up, then he stunk. So who are we complaining about now? I can't even keep up. Not to derail, but it's the same unfair criticism that Hyde is facing on this board. Manager and GM sure have become thankless responsibilities around here. And I know how you all talk about Harbaugh on the football board, too. I'm not apologist for any of them, but I do admire the fact that they've been able to build a championship-caliber club and maintain it through all of the injury adversity we've faced. This board is quick to point out mistakes, but is terrible at giving credit where credit is due, and having the most wins in the American League as we sit here on September 6 deserves a bunch of credit. 
    • Great example, even if we only kept him for part of the season.  Holzman was one of those guys whose success defined explanation, especially by current standards.  He went 5 - 4 for us with a tidy 2.86 ERA... but he allowed 100 hits in 97 innings and allowed more walks (35) than KOs (25).  
  • Popular Contributors