Deadline Predictions

Greg Pappas

We don't need to trach for a LHP just for the sake of getting a lefty. We need to make the best deal we can for the best pitcher we can. I don't think Snell is getting traded. Crochet seems like a risk Elias wouldn't send an elite prospect for. Kikuchi is a JAG. Skubal... we'll see. That's the only big name that makes sense. 

31 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn’t realized that. 

For the record I don’t want either as an impact guy.  I wouldn’t be upset if we picked up an innings eater type to absorb some load.  

Agreed. On that front, I think I actually might prefer Kikuchi, because his upside is probably higher. He’s got good enough stuff that you could imagine him getting hot and ripping off a month of great starts at the right time — particularly once the weather gets a little cool again.

Edited by e16bball

20 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

My prediction is Fedde and Brebbia or Kopech. I think it will be a rental or 1.5 yr SP and a RHP middle reliever type and that would be all in one deal.

I really like Fedde. I think we should in theory get a LH SP because we have the WALL, but Fedde might be the best fit.

We don’t know if Snell is available. Skubal and Crochet are awfully expensive with limited history of high IP.

15 hours ago, G54377 said:

We don't need to trach for a LHP just for the sake of getting a lefty. We need to make the best deal we can for the best pitcher we can. I don't think Snell is getting traded. Crochet seems like a risk Elias wouldn't send an elite prospect for. Kikuchi is a JAG. Skubal... we'll see. That's the only big name that makes sense. 

Tyler Anderson has one more year of control. The Angels are bad….

16 hours ago, G54377 said:

What is a JAG?

22 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

My prediction is Fedde and Brebbia or Kopech. I think it will be a rental or 1.5 yr SP and a RHP middle reliever type and that would be all in one deal.

That’s my call as well. Can see another RP from elsewhere as well. 

50/50 they get RH CF like a Pillar. 

I think we make several deals that aren’t as sexy as we’re hoping for. My prediction is Norby/Stowers/Chace for JP Sears. He’s a lefty, experienced, an innings eater, under club control through 2028, won’t cost us any top prospects, and we’ve made multiple deals with Oakland under Elias. Not what I’m advocating, just what I’m predicting (or something similar). I wouldn’t dream of trying to predict what kind of reliever Elias would trade for……I mean look at who he’s acquired for the bullpen in the past. 

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I think we make several deals that aren’t as sexy as we’re hoping for. My prediction is Norby/Stowers/Chace for JP Sears. He’s a lefty, experienced, an innings eater, under club control through 2028, won’t cost us any top prospects, and we’ve made multiple deals with Oakland under Elias. Not what I’m advocating, just what I’m predicting (or something similar). I wouldn’t dream of trying to predict what kind of reliever Elias would trade for……I mean look at who he’s acquired for the bullpen in the past. 

Sears would be a better Cole Irvin in a Gibson better than Lyles kind of way.     Maybe Irvin could be part of the return as I don't believe SIGBOT would want 3 pitchers like Sears, Povich, Irvin in one rotation.

19 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Maybe 100/0 if Cowser instead of Kjerstad is a very big piece that goes.

True. One can impact the other. 

I don’t see us moving any “big piece” myself. I see the next tier being dealt. 

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I'm not saying that you are wrong. But didn't we just try the lefty "innings eater" from the A's in Cole Irvin? That hasn't exactly worked out wonderfully for us. Not sure why it makes sense to repeat the same type of move two years later with a team who is much better?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I don't see why we would trade for an innings eater. If we make a move it should be to upgrade our rotation for the playoffs, i.e. a #3 or better starter. I agree that Norby and Stowers make the most sense to trade but I would hope for more of a return than a guy like Sears. 

I wouldn't necessarily use the past as a guide for what we will do at the deadline now. We signed Burnes and Kimbrel. This year is different, at least to an extent. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think we get a solid BP arm and a middling starter (Fedde or less).

This would be the "Elias Approach".   I'm fine with that and I think Fedde, for this season, would be a fine #3 for the playoffs.

• Upvote 1