Pie Prediction Prognostication Pick a Peckled Pickle or Pepper Thread

Anonymous

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pie definitely would not pass through waivers right now.

But if he struggles for the next two months and we send him down, I think there is a decent chance he could make it through. Not definite though, as I think some teams would be interested in him as a backup who can play a solid CF.

Ideally we won't have to send him down. I think he's been looking better lately (although I haven't gotten to watch as many games lately as I'd like to) and I think we'll start seeing that translate into better numbers.

When are people ever going to realize that winning the triple crown at AA at age 26 just isn't some great feat.

Montanez is at best a #4 OFer....Pie is such a better talent/prospect, that you can't even intelligently bring them up in the same conversation and expect to be taken seriously.

Yeah, I mean come on Montanez is THREE YEARS older than Pie. He is an old man....:rolleyes:

Are you willing to wait until Pie is 26 to get it?

Look, I have no problem waiting as long as the Orioles want. I just think it will be fruitless in the end.

I do absolutely think you can bring them both up in a conversation and still be intelligent. Maybe one day Pie will be something. Right now he is nothing but a hope and a prayer.

Now go ahead and say disparaging remarks about all the dissenting opinions....

I wouldn't mind the Pie experiment nearly as much if he didn't look so bad in the field. To me he is a major defensive disappointment, and while he may improve hitting-wise as I doubt he is truly as bad as he has shown so far offensively, I don't see much chance of him ever being much of an outfielder.

I still maintain LF is the easiest OF position to play and that is why they stick guys like Manny Ramierez there. Pie shouldn't be having so much trouble. His defensive ability had to be vastly over-rated to start with.

Assuming he doesn't reach his potential, why in the world would we cut a guy who can backup LF and CF and provide a lot of speed on the base paths as a pinch runner??

Picture Pie in Ryan Freel's role and tell me with a straight face that you don't expect Pie to do that role far better than Freel. The thought of cutting him is absurd.

When are people ever going to realize that winning the triple crown at AA at age 26 just isn't some great feat.

Montanez is at best a #4 OFer....Pie is such a better talent/prospect, that you can't even intelligently bring them up in the same conversation and expect to be taken seriously.

Sorry to disagree ... personally I dont consider Pie anymore than a busted Cubs prospect. Really I dont consider Pie's outfield play any better than Montanez's was last year. Montanez did have a great year at AA & did well after being recalled last summer. Its obvious he has worked hard over the winter on his defense. He deserves to get a chance to get in the lineup everyday. I dont know why some here consider Montanez a old baseball player. Its obvious by watching Pie that he is NOT a better talent.

I find your 1st statement funny. If you look back at the archives on this forum even from last season. You will see that many claim that all the top talent is at AA. That AAA is full of has beens & never will bees. I believe the term used a lot is AAAA players. Right?????

Yeah, I mean come on Montanez is THREE YEARS older than Pie. He is an old man....:rolleyes:

Are you willing to wait until Pie is 26 to get it?

Look, I have no problem waiting as long as the Orioles want. I just think it will be fruitless in the end.

I do absolutely think you can bring them both up in a conversation and still be intelligent. Maybe one day Pie will be something. Right now he is nothing but a hope and a prayer.

Now go ahead and say disparaging remarks about all the dissenting opinions....

Go look at what each did in the minors, at the same ages and levels and then come back to me with this.

Sorry to disagree ... personally I dont consider Pie anymore than a busted Cubs prospect. Really I dont consider Pie's outfield play any better than Montanez's was last year. Montanez did have a great year at AA & did well after being recalled last summer. Its obvious he has worked hard over the winter on his defense. He deserves to get a chance to get in the lineup everyday. I dont know why some here consider Montanez a old baseball player. Its obvious by watching Pie that he is NOT a better talent.

I find your 1st statement funny. If you look back at the archives on this forum even from last season. You will see that many claim that all the top talent is at AA. That AAA is full of has beens & never will bees. I believe the term used a lot is AAAA players. Right?????

You will struggle to find ONE scout or "expert" that would agree with you...Its not even close.

Pie is faster, better defensively, has a much higher ceiling, is younger and has always been the better talent at similar ages and levels compared to Lou M...Its just not that close.

Its an apples to oranges comparison.

The way you guys are ignoring age and level of play/competition is just insane.

Assuming he doesn't reach his potential, why in the world would we cut a guy who can backup LF and CF and provide a lot of speed on the base paths as a pinch runner??

Picture Pie in Ryan Freel's role and tell me with a straight face that you don't expect Pie to do that role far better than Freel. The thought of cutting him is absurd.

Because his outfield play has been mediocre at best. The 4th OF is one of your 4 bench players available to the manager late in games. One is useless because he is your #2 catcher. You need the extra outfielder to have a solod bat. His bat has been pretty bad as well every visit to the majors. I'm not saying it should be Freel either. If I had to vote for a #4 outfielder for next year between Pie & Freel my vote would be for "None Of The Above";)

You will struggle to find ONE scout or "expert" that would agree with you...Its not even close.

Pie is faster, better defensively, has a much higher ceiling, is younger and has always been the better talent at similar ages and levels compared to Lou M...Its just not that close.

Its an apples to oranges comparison.

The way you guys are ignoring age and level of play/competition is just insane.

I dont buy into what the so called experts say. I like many here have watched both Montanez & Pie play baseball in a Orioles uniform. Pie may be the better athlete, but that doesnt make him the better baseball player.

Montanez played well for the Orioles last summer despite playing in only half the games he was available to play. His defense in the outfield left a lot to be desired. He obviously worked on it this winter & it shows. Montanez fits the late bloomer mold.

Pie looks bad in the outfield thus far. His routes to balls leaves a lot to be desired. IMO he has a long swing. I'm not ignoring Pie's age.... He's obviously not ready to play at a high level at the majors both in the field or at the plate. Will he also be a late bloomer ???? Maybe Will the Orioles give him that much time???? I doubt it. Do I think he will every be anymore than a bust??? NO!

Tell me what they have done in the much more relevant past 2 years and get back to me...

You sir are quite arrogant in your opinions.;)

Montanez didn't do anything when he was actually a prospect. He's kept persevering and has put some nice years together recently, but what you do as a 26 year old against much younger players has to be adjusted downward in terms of importance.

Montanez shot himself in the foot by sucking horribly for the first 6-7 years of his professional career. After that, he becomes just another random journeyman. He's basically Jon Knott but with only one very good year at AA as opposed to several very good years at AAA. I know a lot of us wanted Jon Knott to get a chance, but that's because we didn't have any legit prospects at the time. That's not the case now, we have both Pie and Reimold, not to mention Luke Scott. I'd be fine with Montanez manning a backup role for now, and then getting a chance if Pie and Reimold both struggle. But he's never going to get, or deserve, and extended tryout period like those guys do.

This seems to be common rhetoric around here lately. If someone doesn't think Pie is any good then they "want him to fail".

What the heck is that all about?

I don't think he is ever going to any good. I would love for him to bat over .300 with 25 bombs this year! I WANT him to succeed. Why wouldn't I?

That said, I think he eventually becomes a 4th outfielder or is cut.

I agree, that's getting old.

I guess I could've predicted that Pie would become such a polarizing figure around here but I couldn't imagine things have gotten pretty heated this early.

I don't think Pie will amount to much either and I would rather see Reimold out there right now. I'm not a Felix Pie fan.

However, we committed to giving him a chance and we have to do that. I think he needs probably into July to really determine if he's going to be an asset to the club.

I just want to give him the chance to where it becomes perfectly evident what his role on this club is going to be.

Again, I don't think he will amount to much but I'm certainly not going to let that opinion stand in the way of getting excited if he does.

Archived