O's Getting Serious About Sano?

Lucky Jim

I'm predicting a couple of signings in the $1-2MM range. Sano isn't the only avenue to becoming a player in the market.

That's what I'm hoping for, although I don't even care if we go 7 figures on anyone. I just want to see more emphasis and more spending there in general. Don't really care if it's on Sano or not.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Show me one instance where MacPhail bid on and landed a premium FA.

Better yet, show me an instance of when he bid on a premium FA and had an offer even close to what they signed for.

His short tenure with the O's notwithstanding, the man is not allowed to decide against a FA that is too expensive for a team's budget? Just because you want a player to be signed doesn't mean AMac has to agree with you.

The O's are not in the same league as Boston and NY. If you'd accept this premise, the money being invested in drafting and international signings might offer you some comfort.

I'm predicting a couple of signings in the $1-2MM range. Sano isn't the only avenue to becoming a player in the market.

Of course he isn't, but signing a guy that scouts are absolutely slobbering over is the best PR move, and probably the best baseball move.

They are related because MacPhail isn't willing to spend beyond a certain point because he feels it will be too much of a risk to invest in that one player.

He'd rather spend money on multiple lesser players and play safety in numbers.

Once again, you're showing yourself to be wholly one-dimensional in your appreciation. Single- if not simple-minded about this.

There are two vectors at work: risk and cost. The lower the cost, the more risk you can take on.

Thus, $4m international FA signings are wildly different than $200m FA signings.

His short tenure with the O's notwithstanding, the man is not allowed to decide against a FA that is too expensive for a team's budget? Just because you want a player to be signed doesn't mean AMac has to agree with you.

The O's are not in the same league as Boston and NY. If you'd accept this premise, the money being invested in drafting and international signings might offer you some comfort.

Oakland is spending more on the draft and international signings than the Orioles, and so are the Tampa Bay Rays. It's not a matter of ability, it's a matter of willingness to take some risks to improve your organizational talent.

The Pittsburgh Pirates and Minnesota Twins are reportedly the favorites to sign Sano, but Plummer said the Orioles have made their feelings about the shortstop known.

"I think it would be a great fit not only because they have needs for a player like Miguel Angel, but they would also have a lot of other young players surrounding him and a lot of young pitching coming up," Plummer said. "You are talking about a team with a lot of young pieces in place. What's not to like about the situation? But really in the end, it comes down to money." (from Baltimore Sun Article)

FWIW if you want make the comparison with Tex and Boras they never made this kind of a statement. The opening is certainly there but obviously you need to make the best offer and frankly you shouldn't lose to Pittsburgh and Minnesota on money. IMO the O's will sign this guy.

As much as it pains me to say... I see Treas point ( though i dont agree whole heart with it). Maybe Im wrong, but I think he is saying that offering a plus offer , off the bat is what its going to take, just like it would have taken with tex, Im somewhat happy we didnt sign him, I think we can do almost as good cheaper, now this other kid, sano, I think we pony up the money for him. Im not saying we give the kid, 10 million, but im sorry to say I think we come out with a 5.5 offer and we should be willing to go slightly higher, but he waives his rights to arbitration if we sign him.

FWIW if you want make the comparison with Tex and Boras they never made this kind of a statement. The opening is certainly there but obviously you need to make the best offer and frankly you shouldn't lose to Pittsburgh and Minnesota on money. IMO the O's will sign this guy.

Who said that? Sano's agent?

As much as it pains me to say... I see Treas point ( though i dont agree whole heart with it). Maybe Im wrong, but I think he is saying that offering a plus offer , off the bat is what its going to take, just like it would have taken with tex, Im somewhat happy we didnt sign him, I think we can do almost as good cheaper, now this other kid, sano, I think we pony up the money for him. Im not saying we give the kid, 10 million, but im sorry to say I think we come out with a 5.5 offer and we should be willing to go slightly higher, but he waives his rights to arbitration if we sign him.

$200 million isn't the same as $5 million.

As I've stated, $5 million is a lot for a kid, but it's basically like adding another first rounder, and I'd rather have him than Ty Wigginton II this offseason.

$200 million isn't the same as $5 million.

As I've stated, $5 million is a lot for a kid, but it's basically like adding another first rounder, and I'd rather have him than Ty Wigginton II this offseason.

No No , I agree big difference in actual cost, Im just saying its a plus offer. I couldnt agree more about the wiggy II comment.

If you took away the dollar amounts and ranked the offers on letter scale

They would both ( considering non monetarily and proven/unproven) have to be A offers to sign the respective canidates.

Who said that? Sano's agent?

Yes - also from the article - Rob Plummer, the agent for Sano, acknowledged that he has spoken to Stockstill a couple of times within the past week and his client will work out for the Orioles from June 22-24. Stockstill confirmed the workouts, which will also be watched by his brother, Orioles director of international scouting John Stockstill.

Once again, you're showing yourself to be wholly one-dimensional in your appreciation. Single- if not simple-minded about this.

There are two vectors at work: risk and cost. The lower the cost, the more risk you can take on.

Thus, $4m international FA signings are wildly different than $200m FA signings.

Save your breath dude. You'd have a better chance convincing people to jump off a cliff.

Show me one instance where MacPhail bid on and landed a premium FA.

Better yet, show me an instance of when he bid on a premium FA and had an offer even close to what they signed for.

He's proven that he's willing to pay a boatload of cash and take risks. One example is when he gave out a 4/72m contract with the Cubs. It just so happens that it wasn't a FA but resigning one of his players. That he hasn't taken huge risks in FA shouldn't bother us considering how poor those type of investments usually are.

Archived