O's Select NEW Spring Training Home

ScottieBaseball

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, you have been very active on this as well. I certainly do appreciate it.

No problem, I'm just glad this has seemingly reached a resolution. Having a good ST site was long overdue. The Ed Smith site will serve the Orioles well IMO.

Here's an updated article that also has some concept sketches.

A few excerpts:

If the agreement is finalized today, the county and the Orioles will have 150 days to reach an agreement for redeveloping Ed Smith.

The team would use the stadium as-is in 2010, with construction beginning sometime after spring ball ends.

The stadium would be expanded from 7,500 seats to 9,000, including a new party deck and clubhouse, and would resemble a larger version of the rebuilt stadium in Charlotte County where the Tampa Rays train.

The agreement also outlines plans for a Cal Ripken youth baseball academy at Twin Lakes Park.

The Orioles have long wanted to come to this coast, and Ley recalled a conversation he had with Orioles' executive John Angelos. "Five years ago, I had John Angelos sitting in my office, asking if we'd build them a stadium at Twin Lakes. I said, 'The county doesn't do stadiums.'"

Clapp said a report shows that contamination at the stadium, a former landfill, is not as bad as originally thought despite worries that new construction could uncover asphalt and construction debris that was buried when the landfill was closed.

"My first reaction is that there isn't any smoking bomb there," Clapp said.

"It seems like there isn't a huge issue there."

Lawyers for the city, county and the Orioles were working to limit the cost of potential environmental clean-up costs during construction.

Absent any surprises, Commissioner Joe Barbetta said he expects the commission will approve the deal today.

"I think we're there."

Here's an updated article that also has some concept sketches.

A few excerpts:

Im glad to see that there are a couple of left coast Florida residents here. If this goes through I will be spending many a "work" day with my laptop in the stands of the new ST stadium. I will be heading down from Wesley Chapel (just north of Tampa) and it generally takes about an hour to get down there.

For the people looking for things to do, I would try Siesta Key while Im down there, beautiful beaches and some really nice beach bars (kinda a Florida Keys feel). And for those who appreciate it the Ringling museum is one of the nicest art museums in the country.

Im just soo freekin excited!!

Fordin says another hurdle has been cleared...

The Orioles learned Wednesday afternoon that the city of Sarasota voted 3-2 to pass an indemnification issue that stood as the last obstacle between Baltimore finding a new Spring Training home. Sarasota County still has to vote on three issues later today -- including the same indemnification issue -- but isn't expected to vote against its own proposal.

Nice to see that another of the organizational goals has been taken care of. We've seen a lot happen these last few years, as an organization. This is one we've been harping on and hoping would get done for sometime, and it looks like we finally will see that happen.

Now if we could just start winning some games...

Awesome. Now I can start planning my Spring Training 2010 trip. Went to Ft. Lauderdale for the first time this year, and my god is that stadium a big pile of trash compared to the various other spring training stadiums I've been to.

You and me actually do agree on something!

The Phillies spring training stadium is the best. If the Orioles' stadium in Sarasota is half that, I'll be ecstatic.

More details on the Sarasota vote. The City almost killed it again...

The agreement was nearly voted down when three commissioners said they were going to vote for a provision that would put a $1 million limit on the city's liability for environmental cleanup costs at the stadium, which is a former landfill.

As the city commission deliberated, Deputy County Administrator Dave Bullock told them, “I believe such a limitation will not allow the deal to go through. I don’t think the team is willing to allow the limitation.”

Atwell reversed her vote.

“If this is not going to fly, I withdraw my support to the amendment,” Atwell said.

Thank you Commissioner Atwell! :clap3:

It was in a Sun article that is no longer accessible...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.osspringsites03apr03,0,1025945.story?track=rss

That was the link...

This is what the article said. I don't see where MLB specifically pressured the O's to do anything.
As the Orioles head north at the conclusion of spring training, they leave behind facilities badly in need of either an overhaul or a wrecking ball, depending on whom you ask.

This spring, Major League Baseball received multiple complaints from umpires about the conditions at Fort Lauderdale Stadium, the Orioles' major league spring training home since 1996. The situation is even worse at the team's long-time minor league complex in Sarasota, where three organizations have boycotted playing at Twin Lakes Park this spring over concerns about the fields.

Those developments, along with continued discontent from Orioles players, coaches and executives about the facilities, have intensified attention on the organization's failure to settle on a long-term spring training home, an issue that has persisted for years.

Archived