Cape Cod League All-Star Game

I just found out it's being played tomorrow (July 23) at Fenway Park...and I'm in Boston with an otherwise free night.

As a former usher ;), I would expect nothing less than a concise review of the game, the ambiance and players of note. Git 'er done! :D Oh, and stop by the O's hotel and get your kid some autographs!

As a former usher ;), I would expect nothing less than a concise review of the game, the ambiance and players of note. Git 'er done! :D Oh, and stop by the O's hotel and get your kid some autographs!

Fair enough. Does anybody know where the O's are staying?

The autographs are "for my kid". ;);) I got it. Wish she was here. Nobody's said no to her yet.

I'm switching my train out of Boston to allow me to attend Sunday's Orioles-Red Sox game, so my first time at Fenway will become my first time(s) if I make it to the CC All-Star affair. Tomorrow morning, I'm taking the tour of Fenway, too. Gotta buy one of those horrible disposable cameras as I left the first stringer home with the family.

Fair enough. Does anybody know where the O's are staying?

The autographs are "for my kid". ;);) I got it. Wish she was here. Nobody's said no to her yet.

I'm switching my train out of Boston to allow me to attend Sunday's Orioles-Red Sox game, so my first time at Fenway will become my first time(s) if I make it to the CC All-Star affair. Tomorrow morning, I'm taking the tour of Fenway, too. Gotta buy one of those horrible disposable cameras as I left the first stringer home with the family.

Awesome - you do it right! And with you and JTrea banishing Moose to the curb, please post some fotos, lousy or not! :clap3:

Hopefully, someone will respond to where the O's stay....

OK -

Just got back from the game, so here's a brief rundown.

I arrived at Fenway in time to take the noon tour, and the buses with both teams of Cape Cod League All-Stars were just arriving. Had no idea who any of them were, but it was cool to see about four dozen mostly starstruck young (19 & 20 mostly) get off the bus all google-eyed snapping pictures of the old ballpark in Boston.

The tour itself was well worth the $12. Highly recommended to Orioles fans passing through Beantown. Part of the tour guide's schtick is to ask who's a Yankee fan and make jokes about them throughout the tour, but they also asked if there were any Oriole fans. I yelled "O" so loud that at least half of the 250-person tour group thought I was crazy (They're probably right).

Gates opened at 3 for the 7 o'clock ASG. One team would take BP while the other was split into two lines to sign free autographs. I got the entire West team to sign, but longer lines would've limited me to half of the East. Lucky for me, I asked some lady with a bunch of kids if she'd accept five bucks to get me the other half of the team. Turns out she was the aunt of cleanup hitter Mickey Wiswall, so she got me everybody but him for free. Lots of folks in the crowd seemed to know somebody in the game.

They had a home run contest won by Connor Powers of Mississippi State, though I was more impressed by Texas Longhorn Cameron Rupp. Rupp only got in the derby last minute because another guy was sick, but he ended up hitting the only long ball of the contest into the centerfield bleachers (90% went over the Green Monster).

The game began in a steady rain with the West seizing an early lead on a pair of unearned runs in the opening inning. Nine different pitchers hurled an inning apiece until the tarp came out in the middle of the fifth with the West leading 3-0. Another Texas Longhorn, Brandon Workman, stood out to me. No surprise, he holds his hands when taking the sign just like Roger Clemens.

Other pitcher names that might be worth remembering: Chris Sale, Rob Rasmussen & Dallas Gallant.

West 3B Zach Cox saw two pitches and roped them for a RBI triple over the centerfielder's head & a sharp RBI single. Wake Forest catcher Mike Murray threw out a runner trying to steal and featured a left-handed batting stance that reminded me of another Mr. Murray.

Oh, and Brian Roberts was apparently there. I didn't see him, but the guy sitting behind me said he rode up the elevator with him and speculated that he was there because of his dad. Mike Roberts was managing the West team. Is that Brian's father?

OK -

I arrived at Fenway in time to take the noon tour, and the buses with both teams of Cape Cod League All-Stars were just arriving. Had no idea who any of them were, but it was cool to see about four dozen mostly starstruck young (19 & 20 mostly) get off the bus all google-eyed snapping pictures of the old ballpark in Boston.

The tour itself was well worth the $12. Highly recommended to Orioles fans passing through Beantown. Part of the tour guide's schtick is to ask who's a Yankee fan and make jokes about them throughout the tour, but they also asked if there were any Oriole fans. I yelled "O" so loud that at least half of the 250-person tour group thought I was crazy (They're probably right).

Gates opened at 3 for the 7 o'clock ASG. One team would take BP while the other was split into two lines to sign free autographs. I got the entire West team to sign, but longer lines would've limited me to half of the East. Lucky for me, I asked some lady with a bunch of kids if she'd accept five bucks to get me the other half of the team. Turns out she was the aunt of cleanup hitter Mickey Wiswall, so she got me everybody but him for free. Lots of folks in the crowd seemed to know somebody in the game.

They had a home run contest won by Connor Powers of Mississippi State, though I was more impressed by Texas Longhorn Cameron Rupp. Rupp only got in the derby last minute because another guy was sick, but he ended up hitting the only long ball of the contest into the centerfield bleachers (90% went over the Green Monster).

The game began in a steady rain with the West seizing an early lead on a pair of unearned runs in the opening inning. Nine different pitchers hurled an inning apiece until the tarp came out in the middle of the fifth with the West leading 3-0. Another Texas Longhorn, Brandon Workman, stood out to me. No surprise, he holds his hands when taking the sign just like Roger Clemens.

Other pitcher names that might be worth remembering: Chris Sale, Rob Rasmussen & Dallas Gallant.

West 3B Zach Cox saw two pitches and roped them for a RBI triple over the centerfielder's head & a sharp RBI single. Wake Forest catcher Mike Murray threw out a runner trying to steal and featured a left-handed batting stance that reminded me of another Mr. Murray.

Oh, and Brian Roberts was apparently there. I didn't see him, but the guy sitting behind me said he rode up the elevator with him and speculated that he was there because of his dad. Mike Roberts was managing the West team. Is that Brian's father?

Yup, same guy. He's the coach for the Cotuit Kettleers on the Cape.

OK -

Very nice BBD! I knew we could count on you to provide great commentary! So Zach Cox should be on our radar? Are you going to the O's game Sunday?

Very nice BBD! I knew we could count on you to provide great commentary! So Zach Cox should be on our radar? Are you going to the O's game Sunday?

Last night was great, but it only made me want so see an O's game there even more so, yes, I'll be in attendance.

I'd defer to Stotle and the others who follow the amateurs more closely regarding Cox' future, but at least one article thinks he's on his way:

http://leeinks.weei.com/sports/2009/07/24/fenway-honors-for-cape-league-bombers

Archived