Who is the #3 prospect?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #3 prospect?

• Jake Arrieta
    • Zach Britton

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going with Arrieta for #2 over Britton, as he's proven himself at two higher levels. Britton is younger, and a lefty, but still two levels behind. Having said that, I could easily be convinced by someone who's seen them both up close and believes in Britton. What a nice problem to have.

But, why only two choices when we still have 3 spots? :D

I'll say Arrieta at #3 with Britton #2.

I wanted to clarify my response:

To me Britton may well deserve a high place on the top ten. He is a high ceiling guy with lots to like. However it was only one good season at (A) Fredrick... That said yes his ceiling is high. However Jake Arrieta's own ceiling is still pretty high as well and is much closer to the major league.

Yes, Arrieta had a rough start at AAA but still are you so sure that Brian Matusz won't? My thinking is that Arrieta is in the majors by mid season and doing a solid if unspectacular job as a SP.

I suspect Britton will have rough spots in his assignment as well. Hopefully I am wrong but that is all a part of developing talent.

There are good arguments either way. Nothing is "seriously" wrong with this list no matter which way Tony goes (and I think he is going with Britton based on his hints during the season). Jake is further along and undoubtedly will spend a good chunk of the year in the majors. Britton isn't the strikeout pitcher Arrieta is, but he gets his fair share of strikeouts and about 80 percent of everything else is hit on the ground. I currently favor Britton because of Arrieta's tendency to have high pitch counts, but we could see both in our rotation some time in 2011.

I would think Britton is #3. But what do I know.:laughlol:

I guessed Britton because thats who I believe Tony will choose. Ive said previously you could make an argument for both, but I think its a much easier argument for Jake than Zach. We already know what BA will say, but itll be interesting to see how others see it like BP and Sickels and a few of the other publications, there will probably be some who rate Zach higher.....

I think Tony puts Arrieta here -- I voted Britton. Both can make a case for the #2 slot behind Matusz. Tony voting Arrieta here would be interesting in that 1) it gives a little insight to how the organization may be viewing the two, and 2) it will be a ranking from someone that has seen both pitch a fair amount, and could have a wider base of info upon which the opinion is based (as opposed to a Sickels, who may be relying solely on a few convos with scouts he is familiar with, or crunching stats).

I think Tony will be in the minority with his pick (when compared to other publications), but I don't see how either could be a poor pick. Both seem slotted to be potential contributors at the ML level, and having one at 3 certainly wouldn't be a slight.

I think Tony puts Arrieta here -- I voted Britton. Both can make a case for the #2 slot behind Matusz. Tony voting Arrieta here would be interesting in that 1) it gives a little insight to how the organization may be viewing the two, and 2) it will be a ranking from someone that has seen both pitch a fair amount, and could have a wider base of info upon which the opinion is based (as opposed to a Sickels, who may be relying solely on a few convos with scouts he is familiar with, or crunching stats).

I think Tony will be in the minority with his pick (when compared to other publications), but I don't see how either could be a poor pick. Both seem slotted to be potential contributors at the ML level, and having one at 3 certainly wouldn't be a slight.

I agree. Putting Arrieta here, and Britton ahead of him, is simply a calculated gamble that what we don't know about Britton (continued development of secondaries, adjustment to AA) is less worrisome than the problems we're aware of w/ Arrieta (pitch counts, fly ball tendencies, inconsistent command). The point is, it's not some huge, revolutionary thing, but rather just a ranking based on what we know, discounted by what we don't know. If Tony is comfortable with what we don't know about Britton, I think that's great - even if we don't agree with him (and I'm not saying I don't). As Stotle said, Tony's seen these guys more than most.

Agree with you and voted the same way. I like both and it is great to have them.

Yeah, I voted Arrieta as I think based on previous statements and how the top 10 has been constructed . . . it makes intuitive sense. It is interesting to think that this is how the organization views the two. Tony has far more of an in here and focus than any of us here . . . and probably more of an in than anyone writing for the trade journals.

My biggest question is when the national pubs come out with their rankings of each system and the league as a whole, how will Britton be viewed? We know Matusz is going to be in the top five overall and will likely be the top pitcher in all of the minors. The pubs have rated Arrieta highly before and I'd expect him to be in the Top 50 again this year. Josh Bell will likely be in the Top 100, maybe even Top 75 after his big summer this year.

Those three have all been rated highly before, but Britton burst onto the scene nationally this year for the first time. If Tony puts Britton ahead of Arrieta, he's saying that he believes Britton is among the 50 best prospects in all of baseball. Will anybody else agree with this? Will Britton be in the Top 100 when BA's rankings hit the Web and if so, where?

Archived