Disappointed at all?

ChaosLex

Disappointed at all?  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Disappointed at all?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tex didn't want to come here. Beltre didn't want to come here. Lackey didn't want to come here. Notice a trend?

You can complain all you want about AM not being aggressive enough, but I think we can all agree that AM is much smarter and much more in tune to the dynamics in the business of baseball than you are.

The Orioles never pursued Lackey so I'm not sure you can say he didn't want to come here.

Tex we've been over and I agree about Beltre.

I've been thinking about this argument for a few weeks now. It's been the main topic on the Hangout for most of the offseason. Personally I would rather watch a primarily home grown team develop than buy a bunch of mercenaries. I've said it before but any idiot can write a check. Rebuilding an entire Organization from top to bottom is much harder and will take some time. Either you have the patience or you don't.

I asked you a simple question: outside of Beltre and Holliday, what moves do you think should have been made?

It's a simple question.

Heck, I've agreed in the past that the jury is out about AM being able to take this team to the next level. There may come a time when higher-risk, higher-expenditure deals are required and he's too conservative to pull the trigger. I think he realizes that. My point is, what could be done right now to bump this team up? You've said it's not really about Beltre or Holliday. Then what's it about?

It's funny, I've asked this about three times and you just get more and more angry. If you're going to be disappointed, though, shouldn't you be disappointed in something - I mean, something tangible, not some miasmic disappointment in MacPhail?

What has he done to address long term needs of this offseason?

How many more international scouts has he hired?

All he has done this offseason is bring in stop gaps and overpay for a closer that we didn't even need...and in the process, costing us a second round pick.

This is an offseason where teams with money should be taking advantage of teams that don't have money...What has he done to do this?

What has he done to trade his excess talent for positions of need?

I expected this to be a disappointing offseason because I just don't think AM is as willing to take advantage of some of his advantages.

Now, as I said, its early and he likes to do things in January, so maybe some good stuff will happen....The Markakis extension and the Hill and Pie deals were done last January and up until that point, i was disappointed with last year as well. So, hopefully he will surprise me.

I've been thinking about this argument for a few weeks now. It's been the main topic on the Hangout for most of the offseason. Personally I would rather watch a primarily home grown team develop than buy a bunch of mercenaries. I've said it before but any idiot can write a check. Rebuilding an entire Organization from top to bottom is much harder and will take some time. Either you have the patience or you don't.
Its not going to be possible for us to ever compete without buying at least a couple mercenaries.

Eventually, we're going to have to take a huge risk, and it won't even really be a risk. It will be a move we know will help put us over the top for the first 2-3 years of a deal but that will probably be a fairly crippling contract for the final couple years.

Its just not going to be possible to build a team that can consistently compete with the dollars the Red Sox and Yankees spend without also playing their game (signing big FAs) at least a little bit.

In fairness, it's not like we ever see anything about international scouts being hired. Hell, none of us knew anything about the 36 players that were signed...what makes you think they're going to release a presser about hiring new scouts?

What makes you think they won't?

He hasn't yet. Why should I think he's going to change?

What's the point of blowing your load on the fat girl down the hallway (Matt Holliday) when know the super hot chick across from your dorm room is going to be breaking up with her boyfriend (Albert Pujols/ Carlos Pena/ Ryan Howard) and you can save up for her!

:wedge:

:laughlol:

Its not going to be possible for us to ever compete without buying at least a couple mercenaries.

Eventually, we're going to have to take a huge risk, and it won't even really be a risk. It will be a move we know will help put us over the top for the first 2-3 years of a deal but that will probably be a fairly crippling contract for the final couple years.

Its just not going to be possible to build a team that can consistently compete with the dollars the Red Sox and Yankees spend without also playing their game (signing big FAs) at least a little bit.

I'm sure there will be some FA's signed at some point. But I adhere to the Hank Peters school of thought more than the Cashman school of thought.

What's the point of blowing your load on the fat girl down the hallway (Matt Holliday) when know the super hot chick across from your dorm room is going to be breaking up with her boyfriend (Albert Pujols/ Carlos Pena/ Ryan Howard) and you can save up for her!

:wedge:

:laughlol:

Holy crap thats the funniest thing I've read on here in awhile.

Archived