O's to charge extra for tickets purchased on game day

fansince1988

Then you don't get your choice of games if you only want to buy a 13-game package.

Your anniversary falls on the date of one of the games and the Mrs. isn't into baseball? Too bad.

Your kid's Little League team made the playoffs and you can't make another game? Too bad.

That family vacation out of state you booked last year also falls on a day you have tickets? Too bad.

And any comparison between Orioles' ticket prices and that of NY and Boston is bogus and irrelevant. Aside from the fact that the Baltimore economy can't support those kind of prices' date=' as SilentJames has already pointed out, the demand for Orioles tickets isn't in the same stratosphere of those two clubs either. If it was, then I could certainly understand if the Orioles wanted to price their tickets closer to that neighborhood. But let's remember, this is a franchise that was GIVING away tickets last season. And now they are targeting a specific demographic of fans and telling them they have to pay more for the convenience of deciding at the spur of the moment that they want to attend a game? So what if it's only a couple thousand people per game? Does anyone really think this franchise can afford to alienate that many potential customers right now? This just sends a terrible message to fans. The only good that will come of this is that people attempting to sell tickets in the scalp-free zone or somewhere else near the stadium will probably see an increase in demand now....and good for them.[/quote']

Ummm...you just exchange your tickets for other games.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No they could not. The Baltimore area can not afford $40-50 ticket average. It can not happen, the economic base of the Baltimore area could not support that. Everything in NewYork is more expensive: The Bus, the hotdogs, the subway, the sodas, the bigmacs, the housing, the suits EVERYTHING.

If you honestly think that the Baltimore area could support a team that charged an average of $40-50 a game for 81 games well then I suggest some reading for you:

Principles of Economics, 4th edition

This really does speak to the heart of your entire argument about the Orioles offseason and player acquisition strategy. You think that the Baltimore area's economic base can actively support something that it simply can not.

Do the Orioles need to spend more, yes. Can they spend to the level that they could actively charge more than $40 bucks for an average ticket - not a chance. Not on any type of longterm basis.

Yes, the Baltimore area can support a big increase in ticket price. It can't afford tickets that average $50, but it can afford a big increase. It would require a winning product, but it's silly to assert that they can't on economic grounds when you haven't put forth any of the economic conditions of the area.

Just plan to buy tickets. I have to, living 100 miles away. It takes what... 5 minutes to buy tickets? Just plan the day before and save the money.

All this talk of mutiny and swashbuckling is rather stupid.

Well, I live five minutes away. And I like the ability to walk up and get tickets if I get out of work at 6PM and it's a nice night and I want to go to a game. Now I am being charged extra for that.

The only way you can avoid the ticket surcharges of TicketMaster is to buy at the stadium. Now they are requireing you to make two trips downtown to avoid that surcharge.

You don't think it's a big deal, fine. But I think, in a season where season ticket sales are going to be at a 30 year low, in a bad economy, making a pricing move that discourages day of game walkup sales is an absolutely idiotic, arrogant move.

And trying to sneak the announcment through on the day where the Ravens are dominating the local sports news scene is classless.

Ummm...you just exchange your tickets for other games.

No thanks. I'd much rather avoid the hassle and buy a ticket to a game that I know I will be able to attend. And I can even sit in my favorite section that way too (Eutaw St)....something I couldn't do with season tickets because the Orioles won't sell packages in that section. But I guess for whatever reason they don't want fans to do it that way anymore, or else they wouldn't be discouraging them with fees.

NO...THEY...COULDN'T. Now I realize I'm standing foolishly at the confluence of your three major fetishes, but you're so far out in left field here as to be on the other side of the fence.

I've said this to you before and I'll say it again now. I have skin in this game. You don't. Until you live here and buy tickets here and go to games here on a regular basis all your theoreticals are just that: theoreticals. You clearly have no grasp of economic reality, especially as it relates to the running of a MLB team in BALTIMORE. So--while I realize this will do no good whatsoever--I must ask you to stop. Just...please...stop. When you have an actual point to make about something you actually know something about, please do. But if you're just going to keep beating your drum about how much this organization, Andy MacPhail and life in general suck--while NOT WATCHING THE GAMES--I would be willing to pay you NOT to post here any more.

How's that "complete ignore" thing work, again???

This is quite possibly the best post I've ever read. I can't wait to see his response.

LuckyJim, you have a very respectable honorable mention for your post regarding him not actually watching the team.

Those two entries pretty much ended this conversation.

Yes, the Baltimore area can support a big increase in ticket price. It can't afford tickets that average $50, but it can afford a big increase. It would require a winning product, but it's silly to assert that they can't on economic grounds when you haven't put forth any of the economic conditions of the area.

That was my point, it can't support average ticket prices in the 40-50 dollar range. I don't need to give you numbers to know that the Baltimore metro-area does not have the economic base of New York or New England.

There are a ton of other factors that go into it as well.

Could the Orioles support an average ticket cost of 30-40, maybe. But what the Orioles have done exceedingly well over the last decade is keep it affordable for a largely working class population.

That was my point, it can't support average ticket prices in the 40-50 dollar range. I don't need to give you numbers to know that the Baltimore metro-area does not have the economic base of New York or New England.

There are a ton of other factors that go into it as well.

Could the Orioles support an average ticket cost of 30-40, maybe. But what the Orioles have done exceedingly well over the last decade is keep it affordable for a largely working class population.

Baltimore Metro isn't as big as NY by a lot, and not quite Boston, but don't underestimate the economic powerhouse of Maryland. It's one of the most stable, wealthy areas in the country. If one draws a circle around Baltimore too small, yes, it won't be able to support higher ticket prices. That circle, however, would have to include Balt Co and City only.

There's also a growing Baltimore expat community in southern PA. Two counties touching Baltimore are two of the wealthiest in the country. Mont, the richest, is just south. Baltimore City's downtown population is one of the highest in terms of density of all cities in the country. The city also has a very large single population with expendable cash. There are probably 5 million potential fans out there in the area. All they want is to have a good time.

As for your last point, I think it would be criminal for the Orioles to make it too expensive for the working class of this area to go to games. Those tickets, hopefully, will always be there. You're right, they have done a good job.

Baltimore Metro isn't as big as NY by a lot, and not quite Boston...

2nd time poster although my first post was on an outdated post.

Technically from a pure "DMA" standpoint - we are 1.2 million TV households bigger than "Boston" aka NESN.

Since MASN entails BMORE and DC you can add together their respective DMA households for a media market. Thus you come out about 1.2 million TV households ahead give or take.

Some will argue that we have 2 teams in that market.

Good point.

But those folks can consider the fact that we are barely behind Chicago at the #3 spot in regard to media markets. They have the Cubs and White Sox with WGN in that market. The Cubs have a what $140 million payroll? The White Sox - What at $100 million payroll (no idea on the WSox)...

(CHICKEN AND EGG THING - PAY TO PUT A PRODUCT ON THE FIELD - ATTENDANCE AND RATINGS GO UP)

And the Orioles own what 90% of MASN whereas the Cubs own a small % of WGN?...

Seems like a cash cow for the O's. The terrible ratings are a direct result of the inferior product on the field.

No getting around that apologists.

And the Miami Herald-ESPN etc. claims the O's are making AS MUCH as $90 million a year in rev share (not assured of that figure, but someone who debates it is just as reliable as my guess is).

My point is - I own an advertising agency. My father was an MLB pitcher who in college holds records over beloved O's pitchers in their college days) We are living through a rip-off era. I get this first hand from player and business standpoint.

And I peruse O's Hangout. I watch you guys applaud the Bedard trade. I watch you poo-poo those (what you seem to be) overpriced free agent signings by every other team BUT us...and then I sit back as you hope every Young O pans out. Which is ridiculous thinking.

You sit back and overlook the business statistics. When MASN was created - it created the #4 media market for a sports team. MD is the richest state in the USA. GOOGLE IT!. TWO TEAMS - so what. THE BIG MARKETS CAN SUPPORT IT. See the REDSKINS and RAVENS.

But you don't judge the O's for not signing Sano - when he was UNIVERSALLY regarded as the best DR prospect in generations. All while the Twins got him with so many safety nets in the contract that there was no risk.

You sat back as the Reds signed Chapman to a contract that would've been "risky" if he was a 30 year old middle reliever. Instead of a 21 year old with a 100MPH + fastball...passed on Wagner Mateo. Who after his "eye issues" became CHEAP.

But i'm guessing you applauded our 37 international "Adam Eaton" signings. AKA budget, nobody has ever heard of, international signings - while the rest of the world catches up on the intn'l market.

And as of today you watched the O's raise ticket prices for the local fans who like to walk up to games after work...or the fans who want to see teams who's owners pay to put the best product on the field (Red Sox/Yankees)...without a whimper.

Take a stand. Stop just hanging your hats on the "Bedard Trade" and some "drafting" when that is 2 pieces of a 5 piece pie. Drafting, International Free Agents, Trading for NOW, Trading for Future, Free Agents...

It's time to come to grips with reality. We have the next commissioner of baseball as our GM. Do you really think the next commish is going to be generous with going after expensive talent? Was Selig with the Brewers? Of course not.

Instead of debating whether Holliday was worth is contract - or whether our lowball Tex offer was laughable - look at the facts.

The NEW Blue Jays GM is aggressively building towards the future. The NEW Mariners GM is aggresively building towards the future - ANDY MACPHAIL made a couple of good trades and is lining Angelos' pockets.

Enjoy those extra walk up prices for game tickets. Sure we are right in the average for tickets, but when your payroll is in the toilet - it's quite insulting.

No getting around that.

SERIOUSLY?

Technically from a pure "DMA" standpoint - we are 1.2 million TV households bigger than "Boston" aka NESN.

Since MASN entails BMORE and DC you can add together their respective DMA households for a media market. Thus you come out about 1.2 million TV households ahead give or take.

Some will argue that we have 2 teams in that market.

Good point.

But those folks can consider the fact that we are barely behind Chicago at the #3 spot in regard to media markets. They have the Cubs and White Sox with WGN in that market. The Cubs have a what $140 million payroll? The White Sox - What at $100 million payroll (no idea on the WSox)...

(CHICKEN AND EGG THING - PAY TO PUT A PRODUCT ON THE FIELD - ATTENDANCE AND RATINGS GO UP)

And the Orioles own what 90% of MASN whereas the Cubs own a small % of WGN?...

Seems like a cash cow for the O's. The terrible ratings are a direct result of the inferior product on the field.

No getting around that apologists.

And the Miami Herald-ESPN etc. claims the O's are making AS MUCH as $90 million a year in rev share (not assured of that figure, but someone who debates it is just as reliable as my guess is).

My point is - I own an advertising agency. My father was an MLB pitcher who in college holds records over beloved O's pitchers in their college days) We are living through a rip-off era. I get this first hand from player and business standpoint.

And I peruse O's Hangout. I watch you guys applaud the Bedard trade. I watch you poo-poo those (what you seem to be) overpriced free agent signings by every other team BUT us...and then I sit back as you hope every Young O pans out. Which is ridiculous thinking.

You sit back and overlook the business statistics. When MASN was created - it created the #4 media market for a sports team. MD is the richest state in the USA. GOOGLE IT!. TWO TEAMS - so what. THE BIG MARKETS CAN SUPPORT IT. See the REDSKINS and RAVENS.

But you don't judge the O's for not signing Sano - when he was UNIVERSALLY regarded as the best DR prospect in generations. All while the Twins got him with so many safety nets in the contract that there was no risk.

You sat back as the Reds signed Chapman to a contract that would've been "risky" if he was a 30 year old middle reliever. Instead of a 21 year old with a 100MPH + fastball...passed on Wagner Mateo. Who after his "eye issues" became CHEAP.

But i'm guessing you applauded our 37 international "Adam Eaton" signings. AKA budget, nobody has ever heard of, international signings - while the rest of the world catches up on the intn'l market.

And as of today you watched the O's raise ticket prices for the local fans who like to walk up to games after work...or the fans who want to see teams who's owners pay to put the best product on the field (Red Sox/Yankees)...without a whimper.

Take a stand. Stop just hanging your hats on the "Bedard Trade" and some "drafting" when that is 2 pieces of a 5 piece pie. Drafting, International Free Agents, Trading for NOW, Trading for Future, Free Agents...

It's time to come to grips with reality. We have the next commissioner of baseball as our GM. Do you really think the next commish is going to be generous with going after expensive talent? Was Selig with the Brewers? Of course not.

Instead of debating whether Holliday was worth is contract - or whether our lowball Tex offer was laughable - look at the facts.

The NEW Blue Jays GM is aggressively building towards the future. The NEW Mariners GM is aggresively building towards the future - ANDY MACPHAIL made a couple of good trades and is lining Angelos' pockets.

Enjoy those extra walk up prices for game tickets. Sure we are right in the average for tickets, but when your payroll is in the toilet - it's quite insulting.

No getting around that.

SERIOUSLY?

Wow, where do I start?

The citation you need on the 1.2 million households number?

The fact that "Google it" basically translates to "I don't have the information, so I hope you are too lazy to actually try and search"?

The opinions on "prospects" given not only as fact but as "universal" knowledge?

The praising of other GMs for doing what ours did while then trying to deny that very point?

I mean...just wow.

Like BT already said, it is hard to figure out where to start in pointing out the incorrect informaiton in this post.

So I'll just point out that I don't know (and with a quick search, couldn't find) how many households MASN reaches, but NESN reaches A LOT more than 1.2 million houses. 4 million to be exact:

Grown to be New England’s largest television network reaching over 4 million homes in 9 Designated Market Areas.

http://www.nesn.com/about-nesn.html

No thanks. I'd much rather avoid the hassle and buy a ticket to a game that I know I will be able to attend. And I can even sit in my favorite section that way too (Eutaw St)....something I couldn't do with season tickets because the Orioles won't sell packages in that section. But I guess for whatever reason they don't want fans to do it that way anymore' date=' or else they wouldn't be discouraging them with fees.[/quote']

That's your choice...You deciding that you don't want to exchange your tickets and you deciding that you have to sit in the bleachers is your decision..The Orioles shouldn't have to continue to bend over backwards for you.

That's your choice...You deciding that you don't want to exchange your tickets and you deciding that you have to sit in the bleachers is your decision..The Orioles shouldn't have to continue to bend over backwards for you.

Oh SG, you Kool-Aid drinking, Angelos-loving lollipopper...:laughlol: ;)

Archived