Blame MacPhail

JTrea81

You have no proof. All you can show is that those players did not want to come to the Orioles for the amount of money the Orioles were willing to pay, or the number of years, or for whatever other factors. The big issue is whether or not those factors can be changed so that these types of players come to Baltimore. To state that they did not want to come here is just over-simplified.

Ding ding, we have a winner.

I'm really surprised that people keep buying that "they don't want to come here" refrain.

Carlos Beltran didn't want to come to the Mets in 2005 but they offered him the $ and he was there.

Miguel Tejada wanted to play on the West Coast yet wound up signing with the Orioles (who were coming off their 6th losing season BTW) because they offered him the most $.

Players don't want to come play for a losing team for less money. That's the bottom line. MacPhail isn't aggressive enough nor does he have an idea of what the market is when pursuing premium talent as the GM of a losing team.

That's why we don't land any premium FAs.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think this is the worst thing that could have happened. The O's start the season in a hellacious slump, lose a ton of games and it just makes El Trea think he was right this entire time.

I started that thread about when do you think the Orioles bottomed out? Well this is where the OH has probably bottomed out: The little McNugget's stance on everything anti MacPhail is bolstered by the Orioles crappy start.

Come to think of it, this start probably is making JTrea happy as a clam. What if the record was reveresed and our offense ranked high in every major category? What could he complain about? How could he attack MacPhail? What could he be miserable about?

If the Orioles win and MacPhail and Trembley do their jobs well there's nothing that he can rant about....this is probably the worst thing that could have happened.

Jason Bay or Matt Holliday doesn't play for Boston or New York. Didn't Paul Konerko turn down more money to come here. I think that says it all.

You are right you just made my point talking about Konerko. You think Peter Angelos $ doesn't spend just as well as anyone else.You are asking players to sign in a division with Boston and New York. This isn't the NBA where there are 16 playoff teams or the NFL where 12 teams make it. The best players want to have their cake and eat it too. It is not that complicated.

I actually think this is the worst thing that could have happened. The O's start the season in a hellacious slump, lose a ton of games and it just makes El Trea think he was right this entire time.

Maybe because I am right?

I said the offense was going to be the reason this team was not going to succeed and look where we are.

You can't expect players who are in their first full major league season to carry an offense. There were even questions regarding Adam Jones and Nick Markakis to a certain extent.

You have to have good pitching and a good offense to win in the AL East and MacPhail basically ignored half of that equation.

And here we are...

I said the offense was going to be the reason this team was not going to succeed and look where we are.

You can't expect players who are in their first full major league season to carry an offense. There were even questions regarding Adam Jones and Nick Markakis to a certain extent.

You have to have good pitching and a good offense to win in the AL East and MacPhail basically ignored half of that equation.

And here we are...

You are right are offense isn't good enough, but we are also not this bad. We didn't have to FIX the offense this year. At some point that has to stop. You want MacPhail to force the issue for present success not caring about the future.

And here we are...

Here's one you dodged a few pages ago:

Dude, this is roughly the same offense that PECOTA had scoring the second most runs in the league last year. Its a slump you hump.

As someone else already said, we've lost 3 in a row to a team that has Kevin Kouzmanoff as their cleanup hitter. Go away.

You are right are offense isn't good enough, but we are also not this bad. We didn't have to FIX the offense this year. At some point that has to stop. You want MacPhail to force the issue for present success not caring about the future.

If we wanted to win games this year, we had to do more to augment the offense than MacPhail did.

And I do care about the future because we could have acquired players that will help us in the present and the future as well.

I wasn't in favor of signing anybody or trading anybody for only a year or two. I didn't want stopgaps, I wanted to build for the future instead of treading water or drowning like we are now...

I started that thread about when do you think the Orioles bottomed out? Well this is where the OH has probably bottomed out: The little McNugget's stance on everything anti MacPhail is bolstered by the Orioles crappy start.

Come to think of it, this start probably is making JTrea happy as a clam. What if the record was reveresed and our offense ranked high in every major category? What could he complain about? How could he attack MacPhail? What could he be miserable about?

If the Orioles win and MacPhail and Trembley do their jobs well there's nothing that he can rant about....this is probably the worst thing that could have happened.

Insightful. Attack the poster not the post. Name calling and assuming is always a great approach, well done.

I doubt any fan who has put any level of energy and emotion into the club is happy.

The facts remains we are the worst professional baseball team in MLB.

This is AM product and his alone, if you believe him and PGA has no final say.

AM thought the product was good enough to be judged on its record.

I will follow his advice and judge them on their merits.

I realize this is rock-bottom. I also realize that AM overestimated what he had with this group. I do not care about the specific players I care about the team and the team AM fielded stinks as of today.

It will get worse before it gets better looking at our schedule and eventually these guys will hit but man its sad right now.

See, he just continues ranting. We're hitting 120 with runners in scoring position because [insert the same blather over and over and over].

Right now there is a thread in the hangout section where Glory Days and about 8 other folks are basically laughing at you. None of it is being steered by the longtimers like MM, SG, DH, me, etc... These sorts of threads ridiculing you happen over and over and over. The owner is on record saying you're ridiculous. Several of the mods are on record. You'd think you'd get the point after awhile. Most people here think you're a loon. Instead, you just keep going.

I've got a thread going where we actually examine the numbers and what is really happening to the offense. Note that Trea hasn't even bothered to appear. He doesn't actually analyze anything. He just spouts nonsense.

And I've got a lot of people in this thread saying I'm right.

See, he just continues ranting. We're hitting 120 with runners in scoring position because [insert the same blather over and over and over].

Right now there is a thread in the hangout section where Glory Days and about 8 other folks are basically laughing at you. None of it is being steered by the longtimers like MM, SG, DH, me, etc... These sorts of threads ridiculing you happen over and over and over. The owner is on record saying you're ridiculous. Several of the mods are on record. You'd think you'd get the point after awhile. Most people here think you're a loon. Instead, you just keep going.

I've got a thread going where we actually examine the numbers and what is really happening to the offense. Note that Trea hasn't even bothered to appear. He doesn't actually analyze anything. He just spouts nonsense.

Ah there it is, the Elitest post.

We are not worthy of this elite member and superior fan.

Please post some more and tell me what I should thinking.

Insightful. Attack the poster not the post. Name calling and assuming is always a great approach, well done.

I doubt any fan who has put any level of energy and emotion into the club is happy.

The facts remains we are the worst professional baseball team in MLB.

This is AM product and his alone, if you believe him and PGA has no final say.

AM thought the product was good enough to be judged on its record.

I will follow his advice and judge them on their merits.

I realize this is rock-bottom. I also realize that AM overestimated what he had with this group. I do not care about the specific players I care about the team and the team AM fielded stinks as of today.

It will get worse before it gets better looking at our schedule and eventually these guys will hit but man its sad right now.

Well, tell me. Would we be significantly better right now with Tex? Would we be significantly better right now with Holliday?

And we are NOT the worst professional baseball team in the MLB. Look at the Pirates.

Well, tell me. Would we be significantly better right now with Tex? Would we be significantly better right now with Holliday?

I think we'd be feeling a lot better about our chances of competing in 2011, and we would have won more games than just 1.

And we are NOT the worst professional baseball team in the MLB. Look at the Pirates.

The same Pirates that are 6-5? Or that are spending money internationally?

I hate to break it to you. We are the worst team in baseball.

I don't understand the argument here over Teix and Holliday. Are people saying that the Orioles would not have a better record with Teixeira at 1b, and Holliday in LF or that they wouldn't be a better team? There's a huge difference, and the distinction is not being clearly made. I can't imagine that VaTech and MM would say that the Orioles are better without Teixeira and Holliday, and that going forward the Orioles will be better without him. If so, that's dumb.

Brothers and Sisters we all love our Birds. We're mad and disappointed on what is going on. this was going to be the breakout year. I just saying that DT and AM has not been here for 13 years. Only one man has, and that's Peter Angelos. I'm saying no matter who the GM or Manager is the results would be the same.

Archived