Blame MacPhail

JTrea81

Instead of blaming this on luck, it's time to start pointing fingers at the man ultimately responsible for this horrid start to begin the season - Andy MacPhail.

Flash back to October 2009. We've just come off our 12th losing season in a row. Here was a chance to go get a manager and give this team a fresh start and a winning attitude, somebody to guide the hungry young players into a new era. So what does Andy do? He renews the same manager and brings back the same exact coaching staff minus only the bench coach.

Andy then proceeds to make this statement:

So we're out of Phase One now going forward, and where we are now, in my estimation, is we're going to move back to the more traditional criteria of evaluating managers: Wins and losses. It may not always be fair. Things happen, but from this point going forward, I'd like to think we're out of that first stage of what we'd hoped to do.

"To give him every chance going forward and to win as many games as we can and show meaningful improvement in the standings, which I think we need to do starting in 2010, it's our job in the front office -- mine specifically and in particular -- to augment, to give him as much help as we possibly can going towards that goal."

We now know 2010 is about wins and losses, and the offseason is about to begin. The Orioles have a ton of payroll room, and not much competition on the FA market, and a lot of young prospects to trade.

So what do we wind up with?

Kevin Millwood, Garrett Atkins, Mike Gonzalez and Miguel Tejada.

That was our offseason. We didn't acquire a cleanup hitter, or a consistent offensive threat or any difference making players that would give this team a real shot at a winning season. MacPhail failed to do what he said he was going to do for Dave Trembley.

Atkins and Tejada have both contributed little offensively, Gonzalez who had a max of 24 saves in his career, is now injured and owed $12 million over two years still. Only Millwood has really panned out thus far.

MacPhail's offseason efforts fell far short of what he claimed this season was to be about. He brought back the same manager and coaching staff and with him the same losing culture. And he acquired no difference making players, instead relying on the younger talent to chart the course of the team. And now we see the result.

The Orioles have steered into another iceberg with Andy MacPhail at the helm and the ship is going down... Again.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Instead of blaming this on luck, it's time to start pointing fingers at the ultimately responsible for this horrid start to begin the season - Andy MacPhail

Flash back to October 2009. We've just come off our 12th losing season in a row. Here was a chance to go get a manager and give this team a fresh start and a winning attitude, somebody to guide the hungry young players into a new era. So what does Andy do? He renews the same manager and brings back the same exact coaching staff minus only the bench coach.

We now know 2010 is about wins and losses, and the offseason is about to begin. The Orioles have a ton of payroll room, and not much competition on the FA market, and a lot of young prospects to trade.

That was our offseason. We didn't acquire a cleanup hitter, or a consistent offensive threat. MacPhail failed to do what he said he was going to do for Dave Trembley.

Atkins and Tejada have both contributed little offensively, Gonzalez who had a max of 24 saves in his career, is now injured and owed $12 million over two years still. Only Millwood has really panned out thus far.

MacPhail's offseason efforts fell far short of what he claimed this season was to be about. He brought back the same manager and coaching staff and with him the same losing culture. And he acquired no difference making players, instead relying on the younger talent to chart the course of the team. And now we see the result.

The Orioles have steered into another iceberg with Andy MacPhail at the helm and the ship is going down... Again.

If the players were playing at half their potential, you'd have a point. But you can't blame him for not one player hitting to expectations at this point.

If the players were playing at half their potential, you'd have a point. But you can't blame him for not one player hitting to expectations at this point.

His main offensive acquisitions were Miguel Tejada, a 35 year old SS who was coming off a .795 OPS season, and Garrett Atkins, who had been declining since 2006 and was coming off .617 OPS season with the Rockies.

That's all the offensive help he got to supplement an offense with tons of question marks going into the offseason.

And we wonder why the offense is so terrible?

Instead of blaming this on luck, it's time to start pointing fingers at the man ultimately responsible for this horrid start to begin the season - Andy MacPhail.

That was our offseason. We didn't acquire a cleanup hitter, or a consistent offensive threat or any difference making players that would give this team a real shot at a winning season. MacPhail failed to do what he said he was going to do for Dave Trembley.

Jtrea- You are very wise and probably are the best poster on this site.

Oh no...we don't have a cleanup hitter!!!!

Last I checked, we just lost 3 games in a row to a team that has Kevin Kouzmanoff in the 4 spot. Find a new angle.

You need to turn off your computer, take a walk, relax and realize that this is not life and death

His main offensive acquisitions were Miguel Tejada, a 35 year old SS who was coming off a .795 OPS season, and Garrett Atkins, who had been declining since 2006 and was coming off .617 OPS season with the Rockies.

That's all the offensive help he got to supplement an offense with tons of question marks going into the offseason.

And we wonder why the offense is so terrible?

I see your point. . we should've tried to add more offense.

But. . did anyone honestly see Roberts/Pie going down, Markakis/Jones/Reimold/ Wieters hitting so poorly? I'm not asking them to hit to their peak potential, but even their big league averages would've netted a lot more wins. . It is a lot of bad luck right now that is pretty hard to watch.

I think we need a new clubhouse leader more than a hitter at this point in time. . This is unreal.

EDIT: I forgot to add Miggi going down too. wow this is bad

I sure would never want to be in a foxhole with you!!!

This is Idiotic

You need to turn off your computer, take a walk, relax and realize that this is not life and death

Uh...I'm not even sure what part of my post sounded like I wasn't relaxed. If it was the first part...I was being sarcastic. If it was the second part....what?

Archived