New Closer? Alfredo Simon?

orioleman123

Got ya ...All Im trying to figure out is what was his hold % , added to his save/blown save %. & what was his inhertied runners score stat so I can draw my own conclusion rather than have someone trying to think for me.
You don't get a blown hold percentage. If a guy comes in during a hold situation, say an 8th inning guy with a 4-2 lead, and gives it up, that's a blown save, not a blown hold. If he gets through the 8th then gives way to the closer for the 9th, that's a hold, but not a save nor a blown save.

So, if you wanna think of it in terms of a leads successfully held percentage, you could do look at something like: holds + saves / holds + saves + blown saves for a percentage.

But, you also have to consider that as a guy that often would come in into situations with guys already on base, some of those blown saves might be pretty weak, unlike a more traditional closer type who would come in with a clean slate so any time he blows a save, its only on him. If Gonzalez comes in during the 8th with guys on 2nd and 3rd with one out and a one run lead and gives up a sac fly and then gets a strikeout, that's a blown save.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think your opinion was diminished in the eyes of some because you cited a stat that supported your opinion, then claimed stats don't tell you anything when someone else did the same. Also, you claim the guy can't close when the only times you saw him pitch were when he was injured. Then, you claim he wasn't really injured. That's probably where you went wrong.

11 of 17 in save situations is a bad %. Stops & saves & when which applies are for stat guys. I am not a big stat guy. I personally dont think a closer should get a save in the 9th in 3 runs or less when another guy comes in with the bases are loaded in the 7th & slams the door. He doesnt get the choice to pitch the 8th & or the 9th. If you call that a stop in the 7th why not call that a blown stop rather than a save?

I personally dont believe he is injured as I've stated in other threads before this conversation. The Orioles had no other option but to put him on the DL either way as we was so ineffective. They werent going to release him.

Tony had a rather negative position on him early on. I wonder what his position is on Gonzalez.

You don't get a blown hold percentage. If a guy comes in during a hold situation, say an 8th inning guy with a 4-2 lead, and gives it up, that's a blown save, not a blown hold. If he gets through the 8th then gives way to the closer for the 9th, that's a hold, but not a save nor a blown save.

So, if you wanna think of it in terms of a leads successfully held percentage, you could do look at something like: holds + saves / holds + saves + blown saves for a percentage.

But, you also have to consider that as a guy that often would come in into situations with guys already on base, some of those blown saves might be pretty weak, unlike a more traditional closer type who would come in with a clean slate so any time he blows a save, its only on him. If Gonzalez comes in during the 8th with guys on 2nd and 3rd with one out and a one run lead and gives up a sac fly and then gets a strikeout, that's a blown save.

Noted Thanks. I appreciate it the insight.

11 of 17 in save situations is a bad %. Stops & saves & when which applies are for stat guys. I am not a big stat guy. I personally dont think a closer should get a save in the 9th in 3 runs or less when another guy comes in with the bases are loaded in the 7th & slams the door. He doesnt get the choice to pitch the 8th & or the 9th. If you call that a stop in the 7th why not call that a blown stop rather than a save?

I personally dont believe he is injured as I've stated in other threads before this conversation. The Orioles had no other option but to put him on the DL either way as we was so ineffective. They werent going to release him.

Tony had a rather negative position on him early on. I wonder what his position is on Gonzalez.

Except this wasn't just in "save situations".

Also, if he isn't hurt, why didn't he start throwing and working on things immediately? Has he even started throwing yet? Was he faking it in ST when he was hurt as well?

:clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3:

BTw, pos rep to you and my pos rep greatly outweighs their neg rep! :D

Typical.... he wasnt give negative rep because I disagreed with him. He got it for the insult. Sadly you find a way to make it up for him. Which in itself speaks for the shortcomings of the process.

Except this wasn't just in "save situations".

Also, if he isn't hurt, why didn't he start throwing and working on things immediately? Has he even started throwing yet? Was he faking it in ST when he was hurt as well?

I dont know are you in Florida watching him? Why was he pitching if he was injured?

Typical.... he wasnt give negative rep because I disagreed with him. He got it for the insult. Sadly you find a way to make it up for him. Which in itself speaks for the shortcomings of the process.

What he said to you is one thing...What he said to orioole28 was why I repped him.

I dont know are you in Florida watching him? Why was he pitching if he was injured?

Who knows? Are you that naive that you don't think players try to play through injuries? Do you actually watch sports?

It happens ALL THE TIME!

I ask you again...If he isn't really hurt and the Orioles are just making an excuse, why isn't he already throwing? Why isn't he doing a rehab assignment?

Who knows? Are you that naive that you don't think players try to play through injuries? Do you actually watch sports?

It happens ALL THE TIME!

I ask you again...If he isn't really hurt and the Orioles are just making an excuse, why isn't he already throwing? Why isn't he doing a rehab assignment?

Also, being hurt too bad to pitch and being hurt too bad to pitch effectively are two different things.

It seems like Gonzalez could pitch through the injury, but he wasn't anywhere near top effectiveness, which was apparent both through his complete lack of command and his decline in velocity.

LAst year I saw simon on tv play for the o's and he was terrible. The other week I went to a AAA game in Durham and was hoping to see tillman or arrieta. Instead simon was pitcing. I thought on know this guy sucks.

He doesn't. He lit it up and threw over 90 miles an hour for over 6 innings and the other team couldn't do anyting to hit him. He is a tough man and will frighten many of the other players with his speedy pitches and big size.

He made the YANKEES look small.

Archived