5/18: Royals at Orioles

PaulFolk

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spot on. I feel like calling the Humane Society, because playing this guy every day would certainly fall under inhumane, huh?

On a positive note, Atkins' 7 doubles is tied for third on the team with Miggy, in 32 less at-bats. His double every 15.1 ABs is second behind Kakes. And he's batting .350 (7 for 20) in LIP situations.

About 50-70 more weak at-bats and I'll be ready to see Aubrey.

Millwood trying his best to cancel the Greinke factor. I think that tonight it might finally get to him if the O's can't score enough runs to win. He's human after all.

Rep to the literary whiz who can give me a Shakespearean quote from MacBeth that captures this quote above. ;)

Rep to the literary whiz who can give me a Shakespearean quote from MacBeth that captures this quote above. ;)

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more, is none."

Google whiz is probably more like it.

Also, Shakespearian quote that needs to be used in baseball more often:

"Fair is foul, and foul is fair."

hmmmm

"to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles......... And enterprises of great pitch and moment with this regard their currents turn awry, and lose the name of action"

"Brave thou wert, and Ranger; and shalt be

What thou art signed to be: yet do I fear thy nature;

It is too full o' the milk of human kindness

To catch the nearest line drive: thou wouldst be great;

Art not without ambition, but without

The offense should attend it: what thou wouldst highly,

That wouldst thou Oriole-ly; wouldst not play false,

And yet wouldst wrongly lose: thou'ldst have, great pitcher,

That which cries 'Thus thou must do, if thou have it;

And that which rather thou dost fear to do

Than wishest should be undone.' Hie thee hither,

That I may pour fans' spirits in thine ear;

And chastise with the valour of our posts

All that impedes thee from the golden round,

Which command and umpire's aid doth seem

To have thee crown'd withal."

--From Act I, Scene 5 of "Millwood" by Wm. Shakespeare

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• You know what, I actually mess that up.  I always say at bats and that’s really not right..it should be PA but anyway, my threshold is more of a games started type of thing. for me, the Os only have 1 everyday player and that’s Gunnar.  Everyday being defined as 155+ games. Adley, being a C, should rest (as in a full game off) more often imo. After that, it just varies. I think yon could say a guy playing 135 games is an everyday guy.  I’m not trying to nitpick on semantics.  I look at it more as, take away PA from someone.     I have said I think this will be one of, if not the best, year of Mounty’s career. I don’t want him sitting too much but I don’t see anything wrong with saying he’s a 550ish PA guy vs 650ish. Now, if he’s on fire and hitting all pitching, that plan can obviously be altered but the current plan for me would be to target 550ish PA..so, 135-140 games.  It’s not a huge difference but you do that with him, with Santander and with Hays and all flan sudden, you find a bunch of at bats for a young hitter with bigger upside.     That’s really what all of this is about.  I have never once said I want Cowser and Kjerstad playing everyday. They aren’t Gunnar.  They aren’t Holliday or Mayo either, 2 other guys I expect to be true everyday guys. But they can play 135-140 games, just like Mounty and be really good imo.   Right now, there are vet bats here stopping that. For me, I’m looking for ways to get the bats in the young guys hands as much as possible and I don’t feel sacrificing at bats from a good but not great player is some tragic way of doing that.
    • So Willson Contreras has a broken forearm because catcher's are now moving up on the plate to try and frame/steal pitches.  JD Martinez (who stands way far back in the box), crushed him, swinging a pitch. If it was automated strikes, there would be no reason for him to stay so far up and this wouldn't have happened.  I know this is a weird outlier, but I thought it interesting nonetheless.  
    • We are used to essentially GG level defense at every position except for RF on a nightly basis.  If you think the board panics after every blown bullpen lead, wait till you see us lose games because of errors.  We haven't seen that really in 3 years.  Outside of one game one offs with Mckenna and O'Hearn.  
    • I'd say Adley's splits vs RHP are far more troubling. His job isn't threatened though so I guess it is not a developing situation?
    • Spot on.  We're also getting everyone's best shot this year, and I'm sure pitcher's didn't want a 21 year old teeing off on them.  So that little bit of competitive extra motivation means alot at this level.  He wasn't flying under the radar in the 9th spot.   With that said, would he see better pitches hitting 2nd in between Gunnar and Adley?  Pitchers wont have that luxury of facing him at the bottom of the lineup where they can drop in their ungodly breaking stuff on the corners.  
    • Did you really have to repeat this all over again? We know they're struggling, Roy. Maybe they think Mayo isn't ready for 3rd base at MLB level yet. I do think we will eventually see him later this year . So how about just wait?
    • Just curious since you make the distinction often, what's your full season PA threshold to call someone an "everyday" player?
  • Popular Contributors