Info regarding the Burrell trade

helloharv

Well you may want to also consider that the talk ways mostly about Abreu, and that Miggy and Mora were vocalizing their support for that, it was widely reported that Abreu would accept a trade as long as his option was picked up... so that seemed to be a deal that could have been done.... then the talk changed to Burrell... not sure why... I could speculate on both sides.. but something changed...

I think the Phillies would much rather move Burrell, which is why talk shifted towards him.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burrell is probably thinking that he will get moved sometime before the deadline so he's holding out for a team other than Baltimore.

As for why someone would want to stay in Philly -- it's a nice city. Now, I love Baltimore and all, but Philly doesn't have the reputation that Baltimore does.

Guest oriofan8

I read on a Philly site that the main concern they have with Burrell is the his foot injury and its recurrence, and that is one reason they want to unload him and his salary. Article said getting rid of Burrell and his salary would be "next to impossible". Thats what they think in Philly.

As for why someone would want to stay in Philly -- it's a nice city. Now, I love Baltimore and all, but Philly doesn't have the reputation that Baltimore does.

And the same thing can be said about Philly. No one has a worse reputation than Phillie fans... not even in New York.

The New York Daily News reports that the Yankees have "soured" on Bobby Abreu.

The newspaper suggests that one reason may be whether or not Abreu could handle playing in New York, which is odd given that he currently plays in Philadelphia. Meanwhile, the New York Post reports that the Yankees' offer for Abreu was turned down because it didn't include Phil Hughes. Whatever the case, it looks like the Yankees will shoot lower at the trading deadline. Jul. 24 - 9:58 am et

Source: New York Daily News

If the Phillies aren't trading Abreu to the Yanks because they can't get Hughes I don't think they would really be willing to trade him for Rodrigo Lopez.

Yes, but the city is actually quite nice. And Philly fans, while annoying, get a bad wrap a lot of times.

I lived in Philly for 6 years Sean. The bad "rap" on Philly Phans is on hundred percent deserved. They booed Mike Schmidt, they booed Santa Claus, they cheered when Michael Irvin injured his neck and was lying on the field.

I lived in Philly for 6 years Sean. The bad "rap" on Philly Phans is on hundred percent deserved. They booed Mike Schmidt, they booed Santa Claus, they cheered when Michael Irvin injured his neck and was lying on the field.

And they spit on Daunte Culpepper's wife. Just a personal issue I have with them.

Is that what kept the Vikings out of the Super Bowl? :D

just kidding. ;)

Apparently there was a quote in the NFL this year that all teams that wore purple could not win more than 15 games combined. Those 6 wins that the Ravens had kept the Vikings from getting that elusive 10th win.

Touche :D

Apparently there was a quote in the NFL this year that all teams that wore purple could not win more than 15 games combined. Those 6 wins that the Ravens had kept the Vikings from getting that elusive 10th win.

Touche :D

Oh come on... isn't purple the color of royalty? :P

Don't rock the boat in Miami, Dante...

There have been a lot of posts on Burrell in several different threads so if I missed this, I apologize. Can anyone answer these questions.

1. How bad is his foot problem? I know he had surgery on his foot in October of 2005 to remove a loose body and a bone spur, and his foot still seems to be bothering him, 9 months later.

2. I had seen remarks alluding to the fact that he was a clubhouse cancer. I posted this in another thread but noone remarked if they had heard this was true or not. Can anyone provide any more comments (confirming or denying) this?

Thanks.

If he does have a chronic foot problem and has a bad personality, then maybe it's a good thing that we didn't acquire him.

I apologize if this is posted elsewhere, but just saw this information about Burrell on rotoworld:

According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, Pat Burrell told the Phillies he'd only accept a trade to the Yankees or Red Sox.

The Philliles were working on sending Burrell to the Orioles for Rodrigo Lopez, but the outfielder wasn't interested in going to Baltimore. Since it doesn't look like the Yankees or Red Sox are considering Burrell, he seems set to stay in Philadelphia for the foreseeable future.

I apologize if this is posted elsewhere, but just saw this information about Burrell on rotoworld:

According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, Pat Burrell told the Phillies he'd only accept a trade to the Yankees or Red Sox.

The Philliles were working on sending Burrell to the Orioles for Rodrigo Lopez, but the outfielder wasn't interested in going to Baltimore. Since it doesn't look like the Yankees or Red Sox are considering Burrell, he seems set to stay in Philadelphia for the foreseeable future.

If this is true, then Burrell has officially won the Douchenozzle Sweepstakes.

Archived