Info regarding the Burrell trade

helloharv

Yea but if you already have a big contract, this is negated.

I don't agree with your last point. If these teams want you, they will bid up for you whether you were on either team or not.

How many years does he have left on it? He's got at least one more big contract in him.

Maybe I should clarify my last point then. If you are already a member of the NYY or BOS then there is already a position for you, a need if you will. If they make other arrangements then they won't need to get in on the bidding. I.e. the Yankees (Steinbrenner) decided on Sheffield a few years back and therefore didn't get involved in the bidding for Vlad.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many years does he have left on it? He's got at least one more big contract in him.

Maybe I should clarify my last point then. If you are already a member of the NYY or BOS then there is already a position for you, a need if you will. If they make other arrangements then they won't need to get in on the bidding. I.e. the Yankees (Steinbrenner) decided on Sheffield a few years back and therefore didn't get involved in the bidding for Vlad.

Burrell has 2 years left.

I don't know, if those teams want you, they are going to go hard after you whether you are on their team or not.

Could happen.

The other question is if you DFA a guy, does his NTC become voided somehow? (i doubt it)

Waivers and DFA are an interesting aspect. The difference between Burrell and Ramirez, is that Manny didn't have a NTC and he was not a 10-5 year player. Which means that Boston could trade him anytime, whereas Burrell has a NTC.

How the NTC affects waivers and DFA would be interesting to know...

Not that i blame Burrell if that is the case but do players want to try to beat the best anymore?

It just seems they want to ride the coattails of the Yanks and Red Sox and not try to beat them themselves.

This is a classic case of the rich getting richer and poor getting poorer...you think its a coincidence that players only want to go to the highest payrolled teams? keep in mind, most teasm can't become one of the highest payrolls.

This is why its nearly impossible to comepte in MLB...they have to salary cap this thing like the NHL, NFL, and NBA. The integrity of comepition must be maintained!

Burrell has 2 years left.

I don't know, if those teams want you, they are going to go hard after you whether you are on their team or not.

But again, whether they want you or not will depend on what else they have. If for example the NYY trade for Burrell, if he performs they'll want him back. However if they sign Carlos Lee in the offseason and don't have a need for Burrell why would they go hard after him when he's a FA?

But again, whether they want you or not will depend on what else they have. If for example the NYY trade for Burrell, if he performs they'll want him back. However if they sign Carlos Lee in the offseason and don't have a need for Burrell why would they go hard after him when he's a FA?

Well yea, they will obviously only go after you if they need you.

Originally Posted by geschinger

Well yea, they will obviously only go after you if they need you.

SG....do you think the Yankees might go after two from among Burrell, Abreu and Lee? Bernie Williams is about done, and they aren't likely to resign Sheffield. That leaves Damon and Matsui in the OF, so I can see them signing Burrell/Abreu and Lee for OF and DH.

I believe that you cannot DFA a guy who has an NTC. It kind of flies in the face of what the NTC is for. 99.9% sure on this.

You can out and out release him but you can't DFA him, where some other team can pick him up on waivers.

What's the difference between releasing a guy and designating him for assignment?

Which of those does "placing on irrevocable waivers" fall under?-

I believe that you cannot DFA a guy who has an NTC. It kind of flies in the face of what the NTC is for. 99.9% sure on this.

You can out and out release him but you can't DFA him, where some other team can pick him up on waivers.

You can DFA him. All that does is give the team a 10-day "grace period" before you have to make the next move, whatever that is.

Maybe you work out a trade (if it's approved) or maybe you just cut the guy. A no-trade only means you can't trade him. Kicking the guy to the curb (which often happens after a DFA) is still allowed.

they could DFA him, but with the no-trade provision it would essentially be the same as releasing him, since he still cannot be traded per his contract. upon his release that team is still 100% on the hook for his contract. the other option if they DFA him is to assign him to a minor league affiliate...but why whould you want to do that.

they could DFA him, but with the no-trade provision it would essentially be the same as releasing him, since he still cannot be traded per his contract. upon his release that team is still 100% on the hook for his contract. the other option if they DFA him is to assign him to a minor league affiliate...but why whould you want to do that.

To make him so miserable that he finally agrees to waive his NTC. I could think of many many ways to make a guy sour on playing for me if I wanted him out. However, most would result in serious grievances filed by the MLBPA.

"Excuse me, Mr. Burrell? Please step off the team's chartered jet to Los Angeles, you'll be riding behind Lloyd Christmas on his scooter. See ya in 10 days!"

To make him so miserable that he finally agrees to waive his NTC. I could think of many many ways to make a guy sour on playing for me if I wanted him out. However, most would result in serious grievances filed by the MLBPA.

"Excuse me, Mr. Burrell? Please step off the team's chartered jet to Los Angeles, you'll be riding behind Lloyd Christmas on his scooter. See ya in 10 days!"

Burrell has five years service time, so he can't be sent to the minors without his consent.

Archived