RANGERS acquire Cliff Lee+ for Smoak+

Greg Pappas

Bold move by the Rangers, the other prospects are nothing special and they do seem to have a window this season. Hopefully they can make the World Series, it would be nice to see a three-month rental trade to pay off for a change. Either way, they will be getting a sandwich pick and either a first or second rounder in next year's draft. Also, I hope the trade gets held up through the weekend because of the money involved and the Rangers financial situation, so that the O's miss Lee.

This is a no lose situation for Daniels.

He either wins the WS with Lee and gets labeled a hero or if they lose he just opts out at the end of his deal, facing no longterm ramifications.

Except for no longer having Smoak...

But that will be Texas' problem, not his.

He can just move on to another organization.

What? You really think Daniels is making trades thinking, "It doesn't matter if this ends up helping the team or screwing them over, because I myself will be sitting pretty either way!"

Do you know something we don't about Daniels being an egotistical jerk? Or are you fundamentally misunderstanding the role of a general manager?

The man is employed as the GM of the Texas Rangers, and unless he's an idiot, he takes that job very seriously and doesn't make trades thinking only about how it affects him personally.

What? You really think Daniels is making trades thinking, "It doesn't matter if this ends up helping the team or screwing them over, because I myself will be sitting pretty either way!"

Do you know something we don't about Daniels being an egotistical jerk? Or are you fundamentally misunderstanding the role of a general manager?

The man is employed as the GM of the Texas Rangers, and unless he's an idiot, he takes that job very seriously and doesn't make trades thinking only about how it affects him personally.

I'm not saying he's thinking that. But that is the situation.

It's a no-lose for him.

Except for no longer having Smoak...

...and for having message board wannabe GM's criticising him each and every day. Whatever, it is what it is. I loved the contrast between the young, self-assured TX GM vice the older, old-school Seattle GM. The Seattle guy couldn't remember the name of the reliever he also gave up...

Archived