2010 Mobbies: Vote for the Orioles Hangout!

ScottieBaseball

Thanks for clarifying Stacey. Until you pointed it out I didn't even realize you could vote for "Best Overall" at the top of the page. I thought it was a reflection of the highest vote getters in the entire contest.

I have some ways for the Sun to complicate things even more for the 2011 Mobbies. Hopefully they'll hit me up before launching next year's contest! :D

Yeah that's the only way any rational person would think it would work. I'm going to assume that either this is a limitation of the web programming, or, more likely, it's a way to increase hit counts to the website (which I don't begrudge them)

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since you can vote as often as you like, really this will come down to a few blog owners who have nothing better to do than vote on their own site 1000 times. Look at some of the blogs high on the list. Seriously, this voting scheme is a joke. The fact that you have to vote in two different categories is a joke.

If I had known the voting mechanism was going to be an exercise of time and desire rather than true popularity, I would have just allowed the site to be taken off.

Thanks to everyone who has voted. I'm pretty sure we lead in most individual IP addresses. ;)

Since you can vote as often as you like, really this will come down to a few blog owners who have nothing better to do than vote on their own site 1000 times. Look at some of the blogs high on the list. Seriously, this voting scheme is a joke. The fact that you have to vote in two different categories is a joke.

If I had known the voting mechanism was going to be an exercise of time and desire rather than true popularity, I would have just allowed the site to be taken off.

Thanks to everyone who has voted. I'm pretty sure we lead in most individual IP addresses. ;)

I have to say, it makes zero sense to allow people to vote as many times as they want.

Its not a true poll IMO.

OTOH, its pretty much a meaningless contest and its not worth getting upset over.

It means something to a site like Stoners, a small time guy who can say he got #1 blog for the Terps..Gives him some credibility for his site.

If the Hangout can say, well we got #1 blog for the Orioles, does it matter all that much? Its already the most popular Orioles site around..everyone knows its the best site to go to, so I don't see how its really going to help you guys that much.

I mean, its always nice to say, we are #1 but you guys should already know that, whether a contest with poor rules says that or not.

I have to say, it makes zero sense to allow people to vote as many times as they want.

Its not a true poll IMO.

OTOH, its pretty much a meaningless contest and its not worth getting upset over.

It means something to a site like Stoners, a small time guy who can say he got #1 blog for the Terps..Gives him some credibility for his site.

If the Hangout can say, well we got #1 blog for the Orioles, does it matter all that much? Its already the most popular Orioles site around..everyone knows its the best site to go to, so I don't see how its really going to help you guys that much.

I mean, its always nice to say, we are #1 but you guys should already know that, whether a contest with poor rules says that or not.

I don't disagree with you really. They really should have just taken the professionals out of this whole thing and just let everyone else vote as they like. At first it was more of a pride thing, but once I realized it was going to be nothing more than competing with people who have nothing better to do then vote for themselves, it became pretty obvious it's not worth the trouble.

Should have realized the way this was going to be run when they took us off AFTER the voting starter.

Archived