Bud Selig "Really Believes" Abner Doubleday Invented Baseball

BaltimoreTerp

Actually Abner DD was just the answer to final Jeopardy as the inventor of baseball. I am sure Jeopardy can be wrong, but they usually check their facts. I had never heard the alternative theory or that this was debunked.

I don't find this really as incredible evidence that the commissioner is an idiot. He should probably know more than most, but the fact that he believes this is not surprising to me.

Actually Abner DD was just the answer to final Jeopardy as the inventor of baseball. I am sure Jeopardy can be wrong, but they usually check their facts. I had never heard the alternative theory or that this was debunked.

I don't find this really as incredible evidence that the commissioner is an idiot. He should probably know more than most, but the fact that he believes this is not surprising to me.

He was the answer, but the question clearly stated that he could not have been (it was about his not being in Cooperstown in 1839, which is a known fact and a major piece of evidence against the flimsy claims by Abner Graves).

There is no hard evidence that Abner Doubleday ever had anything to do with baseball. I'm not sure there's evidence he ever even saw a game.

No one invented baseball. It evolved from various other games including cricket, and schoolyard games like One Old Cat.

Archived