MFY readying Lee offer; Red Sox contact Werth

JDubs

This is the most important offseason he's had as the Orioles GM and either he needs to step up the plate or step off and let someone else try.

This post is spot on. While I don't actually agree with targeting Cliff Lee (not that I would mind, just that I don't like the age/cost projections), I do believe that we need to be bold at several other positions.

We *might* have our infield of the future (2b, ss, 3b at least) in the minors, but none are really close to being on this team. We can't wait for 3 more years.

Do it now AM, or leave.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles have no reason at all not to be aggressive this winter.

1.) They've had their organizational meeting

2) They have their manager of the future

3) They've determined which young players are ready to come up and help in the few years and which ones are not

4) The Calvary has arrived

5) They know they need a 3B, 1B, SS, and power hitting LF.

6) They've tasted winning late in the year and should be ready to build off that

7) They have money to spend after being under budget for 3-4 years now (Remember, they never did spend that $20 million a year they were willing to give Teixeira)

8) They should know their strengths and should know their trading chips

Whether it's through trades or free agency (trades look to be a better avenue), MacPhail has to be aggressive this off season. If he waits to see how the market shakes out or waits for New York and Boston to take all the top tier guys, he's going to be left wanting.

This is the most important offseason he's had as the Orioles GM and either he needs to step up the plate or step off and let someone else try.

So I agree with Roch, the Orioles need to show everyone in baseball that they are serious about competing in the AL East. Lee would be a huge step in that direction but that's not MacPhail's style. He has to know the SF way is not going to work in the AL East. I agree that you have to grow the arms, but at some point you need some aces and Lee would provide that ace at the top of the rotation while taking some pressure off Matusz and gang.

If the top guys start getting scooped up and trades start going down without the Orioles involved, we'll know where this offseason is heading.

If VMart, Hardy, Kouzmanoff or Reynolds, Koji, and Garland is considered aggressive then the O's might just be that aggressive.

If you are talking Cliff Lee and Crawford, then pass me what you are smoking.

AM has always said that he wanted to see something from the young core of the team before he spent money in FA...well, I hope the last 2 months of the season were enough to convince him, or else we're going to have another ho-hum offseason.

If the player acquisition part of this offseason is anything like previous AM offseasons, I predict that the OH fanbase will absolutely turn on him.

There have always been reasons to wait. There aren't any more.

If the player acquisition part of this offseason is anything like previous AM offseasons, I predict that the OH fanbase will absolutely turn on him.

Being that this is his last season under contract, I'd hope he tries to go out with a bang instead of a whimper.

3) They've determined which young players are ready to come up and help in the few years and which ones are not

6) They've tasted winning late in the year and should be ready to build off that

7) They have money to spend after being under budget for 3-4 years now (Remember, they never did spend that $20 million a year they were willing to give Teixeira)

Whether it's through trades or free agency (trades look to be a better avenue), MacPhail has to be aggressive this off season. If he waits to see how the market shakes out or waits for New York and Boston to take all the top tier guys, he's going to be left wanting.

So I agree with Roch, the Orioles need to show everyone in baseball that they are serious about competing in the AL East. Lee would be a huge step in that direction but that's not MacPhail's style. He has to know the SF way is not going to work in the AL East. I agree that you have to grow the arms, but at some point you need some aces and Lee would provide that ace at the top of the rotation while taking some pressure off Matusz and gang.

If the top guys start getting scooped up and trades start going down without the Orioles involved, we'll know where this offseason is heading.

I bolded the part that I think makes the most sense. It's just my opinion, but I think the Orioles could push themselves closer to being relevant in the AL East by trading for what they need to fill their holes. Count me as one who doesn't see the point of offering the moon to Werth or C. Lee, or to a lesser extent, Dunn/D. Lee/Beltre. Is Werth or Lee, or any of those other guys really going to put them over the top? It's not likely. While it would make us all fee good in December, and give us all something to talk about, does Werth or Lee really make the O's a contender? I just don't see it. Maybe I'm wrong.

And no, I don't have the perfect trade solution in front of me either. But if a guy like Colby Rasmus is made available, you explore that, and explore it with fervor. That's a cornterstone-type player, in my opinion. And while I don't really care for Mark Reyonolds, if he can be had for a sack of baseballs and a pouch of Big League Chew, you make a run. He's actually a perfect example of a potential low risk/high reward player that could be had (if made available) without decimating the farm.

Those are the types of aggressive moves that I'd love to see this offseason.

And, again, that's just my $0.02.

If VMart, Hardy, Kouzmanoff or Reynolds, Koji, and Garland is considered aggressive then the O's might just be that aggressive.

If you are talking Cliff Lee and Crawford, then pass me what you are smoking.

Agree with everything here. And, honestly, if Adam Jones and a player could get them Colby Rasmus (not even sure he's available, I'm just using him as an aexample), then I'd love to see that, too. I've soured on Jones over the past couple of years, and, while still young, I don't think his ceiling is as high as I once thought.

And this post illustrates people putting too much into fluff pieces. It is the second day of free agency. Neither Lee nor Werth are signing anytime soon.

Oh, I am not basing my opinion on day 2 of free agency, or on a fluff piece. I am basing it on 13 years of inept front office work and terrible offseasons.

But if it makes you feel better, lets revisit my opinion in March and I will GLADLY appologize if I underestimated MacPhail's great plan for this offseason.

I bolded the part that I think makes the most sense. It's just my opinion, but I think the Orioles could push themselves closer to being relevant in the AL East by trading for what they need to fill their holes. Count me as one who doesn't see the point of offering the moon to Werth or C. Lee, or to a lesser extent, Dunn/D. Lee/Beltre. Is Werth or Lee, or any of those other guys really going to put them over the top? It's not likely. While it would make us all fee good in December, and give us all something to talk about, does Werth or Lee really make the O's a contender? I just don't see it. Maybe I'm wrong.

And no, I don't have the perfect trade solution in front of me either. But if a guy like Colby Rasmus is made available, you explore that, and explore it with fervor. That's a cornterstone-type player, in my opinion. And while I don't really care for Mark Reyonolds, if he can be had for a sack of baseballs and a pouch of Big League Chew, you make a run. He's actually a perfect example of a potential low risk/high reward player that could be had (if made available) without decimating the farm.

Those are the types of aggressive moves that I'd love to see this offseason.

And, again, that's just my $0.02.

With this in mind, it's worth noting that Cliff Lee was traded 3 times before he hit FA, and Teixeira twice, and guys like Greinke and Rasmus could theoretically be available this offseason.

We should fully explore the possibilities any time a young stud could be made available.

I agree with this and have been saying it for the last two offseasons. This offseason is the one to get creative and take some contractual risks. This is reinforced by August and Sept.

If his approach is the same as last offseason I will be one of the OH fanbase that will turn on him.

This is a fantastic post.

Great post. I agree completely.

BTW the bolded has already started to happen, since the O's didn't even submit a bid on Iawkuma.

Great post. I agree completely.

BTW the bolded has already started to happen, since the O's didn't even submit a bid on Iawkuma.

Thats been verified? All I have seen so far is that three teams, Seattle, Texas and Oakland placed bids and that Oakland won. I have not seen confirmation that any teams did not bid.

Archived