Would you give Pujols 10/300?

SrMeowMeow

Would you give Pujols 10/300?  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give Pujols 10/300?

I voted yes but I think it depends more on just record and who we have at 1B.

I think that if Matusz grows and turns into our ace of the future, and Britton comes up and pitches very well, and Adam Jones grows as a hitter and Matt Wieters grows and all of our young players take a step in the right direction then I would without a doubt add him to my lineup.

If we have a below .500 season and our young pitchers struggle all year then I don't think so.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something I never realized until today about Pujols was that he was drafted in the 13th round. The Orioles passed on him sixteen times.

Also, he spent most of 2000 in A ball, and began 2001 in the majors. He essentially made the jump to the majors after under 100 PAs in High-A, and was instantly a superstar. It's incredibly ridiculously rare for that to happen, especially to the extent it has for Pujols. The guys who have had similar career tracks up to this point consist of names like Greenberg, Foxx, Mantle, Gehrig, Griffey, and Aaron. Foxx broke down at age 34, Greenberg had his best years taken by the war, Griffey had injury problems, and the rest are among the best players ever. Pujols could be right up there. We are all lucky to be witnessing him.

that's what it would take for the O's to land Albert...and if other 1b can get the deals they have gotten the last several seasons (Tex, Howard, AGon), and Crawford can get the deal he got...Albert would be worth that...he is the best players in MLB today

Yes, without thinking about it.

He's so grossly underrated as a player. He's more of a franchise-changer than any of the other recent 1B have been, and compared to those contracts, he's worth the difference. He would completely remake the O's both to their fan base, and to potential free agents.

If there's one player you blow a big hole in the bank for, it's that one.

Wouldn't give him that..

but I am sitting here asking myself if he is the greatest player ever.

IMO, not even close. I don't think anyone ever could approach Ruth. After Ruth, you have guys like Mays, Bonds and Williams. I could see him being in that category if he continues to play like he has.

I think that by the time his career is over, he could go down as the best baseball player in history.

Not a chance. His best years haven't approached Ruth's career averages.

Ruth's lifetime OPS is 1.164 (206 OPS+); Albert's best year is 1.114 OPS (190 OPS+). For comparison, Ruth's best year was 1920 1.379 OPS (255 OPS+)

From 1919-28, Ruth had a 1.227 OPS (218 OPS+). Albert is phenomenal, but he's not even close to Ruth.

Not a chance. His best years haven't approached Ruth's career averages.

Ruth's lifetime OPS is 1.164 (206 OPS+); Albert's best year is 1.114 OPS (190 OPS+)

From 1919-28, Ruth had a 1.227 OPS (218 OPS+). Albert is phenomenal, but he's not even close to Ruth.

Not a chance? I disagree. Also, OPS+ is great, and the era in which he played definitely played a part in Pujols's training/conditioning/development, but you have to ask, how badly would Pujols have ruined the league in Ruth's time?

The odds of a team eating the last 5-6 years....and $120-150M.....of such a contract are far too high. For someone like the Orioles, it would financially cripple the team for a decade or more. Just remember what the five-year, $65 million Albert Belle contract did to this team.

Not a chance? I disagree. Also, OPS+ is great, and the era in which he played definitely played a part in Pujols's training/conditioning/development, but you have to ask, how badly would Pujols have ruined the league in Ruth's time?

Pujols has never approached Ruth's career averages, and you disagree? Conversely, what would Ruth do to this league if he played today, and took advantage of the training programs available (I know big if).

Also, take a look at Bonds compared to Pujols. Bonds has him right now, and Pujols hasn't even got to the downslide in his career.

Archived