Jon Morosi: Orioles agree with Kevin Gregg

AJismyhero

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right. Your mid-case projection here has to be paying $10M for 1, 1.5 wins, or $5-8M in value.

Not sure what Webb has to do with this. Webb is a starter with an arm held on by duct tape and bailing wire. A Chevy Volt could be had for $40k, and is probably as relevant to the 2011 Orioles pen.

Sorry for the confusion. I know Webb isn't a BP pitcher. My belief is that Webb at $3 for one year would be a smarter signing for this team, because we need to add veteran starting depth... and Webb's upside is very high. Of course, the BP is related to the starting rotation, and one argument for adding BP arms is that our young rotation might not pitch a lot of innings.

Which is why this money would have been better allocated to a starter, IMO. Okay... please proceed with the thread. Didn't mean to derail.

Who knows...Maybe some of the arms really step up like VDH, Lebron, etc...

Maybe they scrap the idea of Klein as a starter?

Maybe Arrieta doesn't work out as a starter?

Maybe you trade for someone at the deadline?

Maybe our second round pick is a reliever that can move quickly and be in the majors within a year of being drafted?

There are tons of a possibilities and ones that may be as likely as wanting to hand the ball to Gregg in the 9th inning in 2012.

In very limited time last year, Klein was immortal. Just sayin'. :scratchchinhmm:

Just because one thing has a higher priority (in your mind) doesn't mean that you can't take care of other needs at the same time or even sooner. It really doesn't have to happen in the order of need. Some signings or trades take longer than others. Heck, we've been trying to get this one done for a month. When did AM pull of the Bedard trade? If we wait to get little things done until after the big things get done, we'll never do anything.

I profess almost total ignorance as to how the front office prioritizes signings and spending. So you're right in calling me out on that, and you make a good point. They could still sign starting help, if they deem it necessary. But the market does thin as you go, generally. Options narrow.

I do like that we now have 5 back of the rotation pitchers in Koji, Gonzalez, Gregg, Accardo and Johnson that all have had experience closing (in Johnson's case with limited success IIRC). Berken, VandenHurk and Patton can provide some pretty decent long relief options. Rosario is an interesting possibility, although a long shot. Get another lefty reliever, take one last look at starting options and the roster is pretty much set.

Spring training looks like a time for picking a left fielder between Reimold/Pie, a fifth starters, deciding on utility players, and a few bullpen arms. The rest of the everyday lineup, first four starters and late relief look to be pretty much locked in with solid players.

I really don't see what the uproar is about this move. The backend of the pen of JJ, Gonzo & Koji is built of glass. They had to sign someone that can add depth when one or two of the three goes down. Is he Rivera? No. Are we asking him to be that? No. I can't explain why they won't spend money internationally. But I don't think Andy sits around and says I'd rather sign Kevin Gregg for $5mm per instead of signing a high upside DR SS. The international side of the house is a mess in birdland. But I don't think this signing has anything to do with that. I just don't.

I profess almost total ignorance as to how the front office prioritizes signings and spending. So you're right in calling me out on that, and you make a good point. They could still sign starting help, if they deem it necessary. But the market does thin as you go, generally. Options narrow.

Well, you're certainly right in that the longer you wait, the fewer options that you'll have. Waiting certainly hasn't worked out for Adam LaRoche over the past two off seasons!

Gregg gives back up to the back of the pen. Koji cant pitch over 70 degrees. JJ is coming back from an injury, and berken is coming back from injruy. I dont see anything bad about this and plus the Os dont give up a pick.

Well, you're certainly right in that the longer you wait, the fewer options that you'll have. Waiting certainly hasn't worked out for Adam LaRoche over the past two off seasons!

Alot of the starting pitchers are still available. Even Pavano has not signed yet. I am sure when the starting pitchers start moving the O's will acquire one . I think with a trade or free agent signing.

Archived