Jon Morosi: Orioles agree with Kevin Gregg

AJismyhero

My lasting memory of Kevin Gregg is that TWICE last year he was pulled from the game in the middle of a save situation against the Orioles.

On July 17, he was trying to protect a one-run lead in the ninth against the Orioles, and he walked the bases loaded. Cito Gaston pulled him (and Gregg barked at him as he left the mound). The next pitcher bailed him out.

Then on September 24, Gregg started the 9th with a 6-3 lead over the Orioles. He gave up two walks and a hit, and Gaston yanked him with a 2-0 count on a hitter. Again, the next pitcher bailed him out.

I guess the point here is that Gregg is prone to having some ugly meltdowns, in many cases caused by his inability to throw the ball over the plate. If he's the Orioles' closer this year, we're going to be sweating things out quite a bit. I'd much prefer Koji as the closer-- he never gets himself in trouble with walks, and he almost always gets the job done (when he's not facing the Yankees).

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My lasting memory of Kevin Gregg is that TWICE last year he was pulled from the game in the middle of a save situation against the Orioles.

On July 17, he was trying to protect a one-run lead in the ninth against the Orioles, and he walked the bases loaded. Cito Gaston pulled him (and Gregg barked at him as he left the mound). The next pitcher bailed him out.

Then on September 24, Gregg started the 9th with a 6-3 lead over the Orioles. He gave up two walks and a hit, and Gaston yanked him with a 2-0 count on a hitter. Again, the next pitcher bailed him out.

I guess the point here is that Gregg is prone to having some ugly meltdowns, in many cases caused by his inability to throw the ball over the plate. If he's the Orioles' closer this year, we're going to be sweating things out quite a bit. I'd much prefer Koji as the closer-- he never gets himself in trouble with walks, and he almost always gets the job done (when he's not facing the Yankees).

Buck will put the best pitcher in the 9th inning based on that scenario. If you guys as fans don't have faith in Buck after what he did with the bullpen at the end of last season then you need to rethink things. We don't have Dave Trembley anymore. We don't have to worry about the relief pitchers being used incorrectly. If Gregg is our best 9th inning guy then he will pitch in the 9th inning. If he isn't then he won't.

How so? Bradford was basically traded for cash, right?

He was traded for cash, and BAL did not have to pay the rest of his salary that year. The move was made to free up that money to sign draft picks. This was unofficially reported and widely speculated as the impetus for the move. I don't remember if confirmation followed (I think it did, but I don't have the inclination to look it up).

Essentially, BAL moved Bradford and was off the hook for the last two months of his contract. They took that savings and spent it on signing picks.

Let's face it. Every organization might want a do-over on Chapman. Every organization would benefit from spending $4M more on the US draft. I do not believe those decisions have anything to do with signing Gregg and whether this player will generate production to justify the $.

The bp experiments of the past two years are over. AM took chances on Simon, Albers, Hendrickson, Hernandez, Berken, Meredith, Mickolio and many others. It's time to win in Baltimore and IMO it's not time for half-measures. Showalter needs to play with a full deck - not multiple wanna-bes with 5.5 ERAs or higher.

We'll see how the signing pans out and whether Gregg's production matches this contract - that's what this discussion should be about.

Again, this move is fine in a vacuum. Gregg gives stability to the pen for the next two years and didn't cost a draft pick.

But, if BAL gave him 2/10 or more, the valuation is all wrong. It's just another small piece in the mosaic of a poorly run franchise.

BTW, I have no doubt in my mind that Buck was pushing hard for this deal to get done.

That makes 4 former Cubs acquired this offseason for those keeping count:

Mitch Atkins (MiL deal), Kevin Gregg, Cesar Izturis and Derrek Lee.

Our roster may have 5 former Cubs on it with Pie and Fox added to that total.

Will Ohman also pitched for the Cubs. :laughlol: Let me look to see if any starting pitchers pitched for the Cubs,

He was traded for cash, and BAL did not have to pay the rest of his salary that year. The move was made to free up that money to sign draft picks. This was unofficially reported and widely speculated as the impetus for the move. I don't remember if confirmation followed (I think it did, but I don't have the inclination to look it up).

Essentially, BAL moved Bradford and was off the hook for the last two months of his contract. They took that savings and spent it on signing picks.

I remember AM making a statement about needing the money at the time.

It definitely looks like we are going closer by committee again.

Nobody is going to have the title and Buck will run with the hot arm so to speak...

I kind of like that in a way as Trembley's "role playing" was a disaster.

This team really seems to respond when there is a lack of communication about roles.

....and it looks like Simon's situation did speed this process along. From Connolly's article:

The deal, which is pending a physical, also includes a club option for 2013 that could vest if Gregg is able to finish a certain number of games during the 2012 season. The negotiations, which started when the Orioles made an offer nearly four weeks ago at the winter meetings, intensified with Alfredo Simon's recent legal troubles in Dominican Republic.

You guys need to remember that Buck does not believe in a closer. He is a match up type guy. He made the comment during the season that he believes in the win rule more than the save rule. Here is what I see happening with Kevin Gregg. Buck won't always call on Kevin to close. Koji will get his opportunities to close. Kevin might start the 9th inning but if he gets in a big jam Buck will take him out of the game.

Archived