Jon Morosi: Orioles agree with Kevin Gregg

AJismyhero

I'm not really a fan of this signing because Saito and Rauch and others would have been better imo and this is too much money for Gregg. However, I will say that I think Gregg very likely makes this team at least 1 win better imo, so it's not really an overpay for the wins they should get imo, but it's not a good value and they could have done better.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, of course it's a smart move, because draft picks are a probabilistic exercise. The more you have the better chance of one really paying off. Giving up a chance for anything less than a big-time player is usually stupid.

Interesting. I don't really agree, except kind of.

Probably because of the many times we've seen the O's gnash teeth and wring hands and cry poor over similar amounts of money for players with vastly higher upside. What did Sano sign for again? What did Chapman sign for? If $4M is a rounding error no one should care about, then why can't the O's lump together a handful of rounding errors and sign a 20-year-old kid from Cuba that throws 102? If $4M doesn't matter, why do the O's always go right to the deadline on draft picks trying to save a few hundred $K? Or why do they risk losing all compensation by playing arb games with a guy like Koji over $2M?

I could kiss you on the lips right now, Jon Wilt.

Think of how much better our organization would be right now if we had taken all the money spent on FA relievers over the last 5-6 years and invested in instead in international spending.

Like I said in the FA signings thread, these contracts will not tie a noose around your organization, but they show a poor assessment of value and risk/reward. Over time these decisions add up.

For the time being, I'm just going to be happy with the fact that we got a solid arm for our bullpen. The contract may be somewhat questionable, but no doubt Gregg strengthens our bullpen.

I agree. I am absolutely sick of losing year after year and this signing improves our bullpen. It will take innings away from our worst reliever we had last year and allow us to bring in some solid arms for the 7,8,9.

I could kiss you on the lips right now, Jon Wilt.

Think of how much better our organization would be right now if we had taken all the money spent on FA relievers over the last 5-6 years and invested in instead in international spending.

Like I said in the FA signings thread, these contracts will not tie a noose around your organization, but they show a poor assessment of value and risk/reward. Over time these decisions add up.

Agree with what you say here, RVA. The only thing I might question is our talent evaluation and development. I feel that both of them are impediments to throwing a whole boatload of money into international signings.

Teams seem to have draft budgets and payroll budgets. I've never seen a team overtly transfer savings in payroll to the draft. Two years for Gregg is boring and mediocre but not a big deal.

This is what I think, and something I haven't seen anyone dispel on here. There is a draft budget and there is a ML budget. 2 extra million to Gregg does not mean anything to the draft budget.

Agree with what you say here, RVA. The only thing I might question is our talent evaluation and development. I feel that both of them are impediments to throwing a whole boatload of money into international signings.

You could look at a BA top international list, throw darts at it, and offer 15% more than anyone else to these guys and get more long-term value than pissing away millions on these at-most-1.5-win relievers.

Teams seem to have draft budgets and payroll budgets. I've never seen a team overtly transfer savings in payroll to the draft. Two years for Gregg is boring and mediocre but not a big deal.
This is what I think, and something I haven't seen anyone dispel on here. There is a draft budget and there is a ML budget. 2 extra million to Gregg does not mean anything to the draft budget.

Baltimore did it when they traded Bradford right before the signing deadline a couple of years ago.

You could look at a BA top international list, throw darts at it, and offer 15% more than anyone else to these guys and get more long-term value than pissing away millions on these at-most-1.5-win relievers.

I hear you...but it's funny how none of our darts seem to hit the right targets! ;)

Not too disappointed in this deal (right now), since this is about the same year/price we've been hearing since November.

Regardless, this was a needed signing as it looks like the team may not have Simon anymore. Get another lefty and mabe another reliever and it looks to be a decent 'pen.

Archived