Mike Napoli dealt to the Blue Jays

paulcoates

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This trade proves a few things to me.

1. While MacPhail has had, IMO, a great offseason, we still have the worst group of decision makers in the division.

2. Toronto finds arms seemly out of thin air all the time. The one thing that was dragging that franchise down was this contract. I think if the Angels traded me for Wells straight up, the Angels are still getting ripped off. That contract is downright terrible, and Anthopoulos being able to get rid of it AND getting valuable players is just mindboggling. It beats the Bedard deal, hands down. They are going to be a force in this division.

3. Anthopoulos has been doing nothing but setting that franchise up for success since he took over. He's clearly got a plan, and has been executing it very well.

Silent James, remember last year when they dealt away Halladay and everyone thought they would be in last place? How'd that work out? If they can overcome that, they can get past losing Marcum and Vernon Wells. Especially if Lind remembers that he can actually hit, and Snider figures it out like everyone expected him to.

Exactly.

Last year, i said the best thing that could happen for Toronto is for Wells to have a good year and be able to be dealt..While it didn't happen during the season, it still happened.

Being able to get rid of that contract is HUGE for the BJs.

Well, I'm just glad the Orioles are looking at ANY season. Feel lucky.

I have said before, I enjoy Orioles baseball no matter what. I have followed this team long enough to just enjoy the games. You can feel lucky if you would like, but it still does not change the fact that this team has a lot of catching up to do.

I think if the Angels traded me for Wells straight up, the Angels are still getting ripped off. That contract is downright terrible, and Anthopoulos being able to get rid of it AND getting valuable players is just mindboggling. It beats the Bedard deal, hands down.

I'm still waiting to see if money changed hands in this deal. If not, then I truly don't get it, from the Angels' side.

I'm still waiting to see if money changed hands in this deal. If not, then I truly don't get it, from the Angels' side.

According to all reports, there is no money switching hands. The deal is official and didn't need commissioner approval, meaning there wasn't money being switched.

This sets up the Jays well for the future financially, to be able to get out from Halladay, Rios, and Wells.

They could obtain more prospects if they trade Rivera and/or Napoli or Molina this coming season.

Though if Drabek faulters, this could be a long season.

As MLBTR speculated, will they make a run at Fielder?

This is the $64,000 question.

They may make a run but after all the work AA did to get roster flexibility, I don't see him turning around a season later and putting $22M annually back on the books for a player because he should be well aware that he could be in a similar situation with Fielder that he is with Wells, or at least, he is putting the next GM in a possibly similar situation.

Archived