Mike Napoli dealt to the Blue Jays

paulcoates

When Rivera and Napoli get some of those Toronto bats they might turn into 35 HR+ guys. Just swing for the fences....just swing for the fences. There has to be Toronto money involved for the Angels to take on Wells and his insane contract. Rosenthal is now saying that Damon and Ramirez two former Red Sox stars may be close to signing with the Rays. Vlad could still end up in Baltimore. I was talking to someone in the warehouse today about Vlad and he said PA likes him even though he didn't sign with us before. Lee snubbed us before and we still signed him. Don't rule out Vlad in an Oriole uniform in April. He hits lefthanded pitching and I'm tired of seeing us lose to lefties. Come on Andy! Sign Vlad soon.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As currently reported, this trade is insane from the Angels's perspective. There must have been 10 teams who would have taken Napoli or Rivera for nothing - and they're trading him for less than nothing!? I'm expecting there to be more to this, but if not, it's absolutely shocking.

As currently reported, this trade is insane from the Angels's perspective. There must have been 10 teams who would have taken Napoli or Rivera for nothing - and they're trading him for less than nothing!? I'm expecting there to be more to this, but if not, it's absolutely shocking.

There has to be. If they didnt want them they could have just DFA'd them...

The Angels will now use Abreu as their DH. And with Manny going to Tampa, I honestly don't see where Vlad winds up - if not Baltimore. Oakland? (I forgot the A's signed Matsui).

I just posted in another thread about where Vlad would go...I totally forgot about Abreu. Now, I can't thing of a single team that would be in on Vlad besides the Orioles.

This is awesome; from Halos Heaven.

They're popping corks and smoking Cubans in Toronto tonight. Alex Anthopoulos has done the impossible. Today, the Toronto Blue Jays unloaded one of the worst contracts in baseball history and got players with positive value in return.
This trade doesn't even deserve the dignity of a formal analysis. The Angels voluntarily vacated about three or four wins next season while simultaneously boosting their payroll by nearly $10 million.
Wells, whose contract was a regular feature on the waiver wire, was previously thought to be unmovable... Sam Miller of the OC Register was noted that very rarely does a trade make one team "older, more expensive, and worse," all at the same time.
Thinking outside the box? Perhaps not thinking at all.

Cheers, everyone.

The best part.

Be honest, tell me how you feel.

10%I'm going to need another 40. 56 votes.

9%Someone's got to pay for this. 50 votes.

10%What else could go wrong now that the worst has happened? 56 votes.

11%Click, click, BOOM 64 votes.

58%I actually like the deal (an option for our Canadian guests).325 votes.

Angels Release Mike Napoli, Sign Juan Rivera To Four-Year, $86 Million Extension.

A horrible offseason for the Angels just got worse.

And the BJs just widened the gap between themselves and the O's

It's one of the worst trades I can recall in recent memory, but I don't see how it widens the gap between Toronto and Baltimore. Toronto just got rid of a very bad contract, got a decent hitter back in return. It only "widens the gap" if the Blue Jays go out and spend that money they were going to have to pay Wells on something better.

Archived