Meanwhile, Wieters Arm

tinamodotti

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joe Mauer.

Wieters will not be winning a Gold Glove for that reason alone.

Mauer sure has a lot of issues with his knees these days. Perhaps not a hinderance on his catching abilities, but just the frequency at which he actually gets behind the plate for a game.

In 2009, he caught 109 games. In 2010, he caught 112 games. What if he catches below 100?

The twins staff seems to be struggling this year. What if the pitchers throw to a lousy ERA and the Twins fail to win 85 games this year?

I think there is a very real scenario where Wieters can win this year. Assuming Mauer really is the only legitimate competition for the GG, he may only catch 90 games this season and the Twins may not be as successful in years past from a pitching standpoint. Then the O's play .500ish ball, the pitching staff achieves a league average ERA, and Wieters catches 130 games and maintains his great caught stealing numbers.

Mauer sure has a lot of issues with his knees these days. Perhaps not a hinderance on his catching abilities, but just the frequency at which he actually gets behind the plate for a game.

In 2009, he caught 109 games. In 2010, he caught 112 games. What if he catches below 100?

The twins staff seems to be struggling this year. What if the pitchers throw to a lousy ERA and the Twins fail to win 85 games this year?

I think there is a very real scenario where Wieters can win this year. Assuming Mauer really is the only legitimate competition for the GG, he may only catch 90 games this season and the Twins may not be as successful in years past from a pitching standpoint. Then the O's play .500ish ball, the pitching staff achieves a league average ERA, and Wieters catches 130 games and maintains his great caught stealing numbers.

Palmeiro plays in 29 games wins gold glove

It has long been accepted -- and for good reason -- that the worst choice ever for Gold Glove was Rafael Palmeiro in 1999. To argue against Raffy is to be arguing for belligerence sake ... the man played 28 games at first base that year and 135 games as a designated hitter.

I'm not sure less than 100 can persuade those who vote for that award to not be stupid.

I think Wieters is better behind the plate defensively than Mauer though. I've been one of his harshest critics when it comes to his hitting (I need to see him continue to drive the ball like last night). However, there is no doubt in my mind that he's an elite level defensive catcher already. He's super impressive behind the dish, no question about it. If his offense ever catches up, watch out!

I agree with this. The only tool on our team that can compare to Wieters's catch/throw is Reynolds's HR power. I find it incredibly hard to believe that there's a better every day defensive catcher than Wieters.

I'd also say that he has a good shot at gold glove, partially because he also benefits from his draft hype. It's not like his name is Caleb Joseph.

Matt is great behind the plate. My favorite play all season long was when he threw out Upton at 3B when TB tried a double steal. Matt gunned him out and then stared down at 3B looking angry, as if to say "how dare you try and urn on me?" It looked like he was honestly insulted that they thought they could run on him.

wietersgg.gif

Mauer is a very good defensive catcher. I think Wieters had the best case for the Gold Glove last year, but the case for Mauer was plausible, even if you truly only took defense into account. For Matt to beat him out, he needs to take his defense to even a higher level than it was last year. So far, I'd say he's up to the task.

I agree with this. The only tool on our team that can compare to Wieters's catch/throw is Reynolds's HR power. I find it incredibly hard to believe that there's a better every day defensive catcher than Wieters.

I'd also say that he has a good shot at gold glove, partially because he also benefits from his draft hype. It's not like his name is Caleb Joseph.

But if Caleb shortens his name to CAL Joseph, we might have something there....

That's a joke but I agree with Frobby, Big Matt is becoming a beast!

They didn't get whoever it was (at least according to the ump), but Wieters's throw back to first later on was studly as well. Super quick release and laser rocket arm.

You know that old saying, "tie goes to the Yankee" :-p

It will be interesting to see how many runners even try to test Wieters this year. Last year only 77 guys tried it in 121 starts (126 games). So far this year, only 7 guys in 11 starts (only 3 of whom made it safely). He not only throws runners out, he deters them from trying.

Even when other things aren't going right, his arm is a constant

wietysggg.gif

Watch his mechanics in that video. He gets his feet set very quickly, and he has the gun to use the classic Catchers snap throw. He gets the ball out of his glove and up to his right ear instantly then generates all of his leverage from the hip up through his shoulder and gets rid of the ball so fast that he does not even land his front leg. I am an old Catcher just standing in awe of an awesome defensive catcher. He is the best defensive catcher in baseball right now IMO. He also blocks pitches better than anyone else right now too. Yeah I have been disappointed with his bat, although I think that will come too, but holy Cow can this kid play.

• 2 weeks later...

The quirkiest thing about him is one that the pitching staff loves is his ability to snag foul tips. I think he adds 2 K's per game that way. His confidence in his defense is definitely there, and it looks like he made a big adjustment to his hitting approach. One thing falls into place, it makes it easier to for the others to do so.

Archived