Orioles have agreed to terms, pending physical, with INF Wilson Betemit

Greg

Its not a bad contract but was it a neccassary signing?

Guess it depends what you mean by "necessary." We are required/allowed to have 25 men on the active roster, after all. And, if they, Duquette and Showalter, feel Betemit at 2/$3mil is better than the other cost/talent combinations available, including internal alternatives, then yes, in their eyes this move or a similar one was necessary.

Switch hitter, able to play corner IF and OF positions, and satisfied with a supporting role at a very reasonable salary. He can fill a role on many ML rosters, and ours, as well.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is a necessary signing. He has played SS in his career and if Hardy (who has been injury prone in the past) goes down we will need somebody to play there. You might be thinking Andino could fill that role, and he could, but if BROB isn't healthy he will be playing secondbase.

If he's used as a roleplayer and takes up most of the at bats vs. lefties where he hit 303/365/500 last year. Or his career 277/348/469 vs lefties, it seems like something the Orioles could definitely use.

As long as he doesn't turn into a regular full time player, I don't think there is much wrong with the signing.

You got that mixed up. So he should mostly play against righties.

I actually like this move assuming they are using him mostly as a DH as Duq said and if they use him primarily against righties. If he can continue to hit righties like he has the past two years (.869 OPS) or even just to his career level (.817), he will be valuable. Just don't let him play against lefties much or play the field much. It's great that he can play almost any position in a pinch, but we don't want him playing the field consistently.

I think it is a necessary signing. He has played SS in his career and if Hardy (who has been injury prone in the past) goes down we will need somebody to play there. You might be thinking Andino could fill that role, and he could, but if BROB isn't healthy he will be playing secondbase.

That's not necessarily true. They have Antonelli, Adams and the Rule V kid. I think it's likely at this point Andino will remain in that super sub role Buck envisions for him and be the primary backup for Hardy at SS.

That's not necessarily true. They have Antonelli, Adams and the Rule V kid. I think it's likely at this point Andino will remain in that super sub role Buck envisions for him and be the primary backup for Hardy at SS.

On, Base, Percentage. He said he was going to get some. The alternative was 6.5 for Damon, who is ONLY a DH. Good value signing that gives us part of what we needed. At age thirty, the three million can be applied as this year's payrool number an he is free for next season if we wish to drop him. There is no buyout, only a vesting option.

Essentially BROB numbers without the steals. Defensively very similar.

The option is really interesting on this deal... Reportedly it is $3.25m for two years and if he has 700 AB's the third year kicks in at $3.2m. Has anyone ever heard of that kind of deal? (Especially that sort of percentage.)

Where are you seeing this reported? I like the deal, though 700 PA is a pretty low threhhold Betemit will probably meet.

Archived