Keith Law takes another shot at the O's

ChaosLex

Well, that and he's starting to get on my nerves. So, you know... :deadhorse:

Seriously, the thread has served some purpose: it brought out the other info available. There are two sources, one a Korean newspaper, and the other the O's, saying he throws in the upper-80s. Of course, who knows where the news got its report. Even in bad translation it looks suspiciously like the O's dish.

I think the other thing is simply the mystery. I mean, we dished out a bunch of cash in a strange land for a prospect who's got the thinnest dossier ever.

Yeah I know what you mean. That's part of what bothers me, like Stotle said, if this kid was a legit prospect, other teams have seen him at length, so there should be SOMETHING about him out there. For there to be no information kinda lends to the theory that he wasn't considered a real prospect before and maybe what Law heard was right.

Just so weird that there are two completely conflicting sides of the story, almost like there are two players here with similar names or something.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because even for the Orioles it would be a new low to spend $500k on what Law says is essentially a Grade F prospect, someone who might be a 43rd-round talent. It makes no sense.

This isn't a new low. Spending 500K on a 17 y/o is better than a lot of the things they have done.

Again, Law was told this by multiple scouts...So really, what people are saying is that these scouts are wrong.

Earlier in the offseason, people said the Eveland trade was fine because DD must have been told, by scouts, that he is a better pitcher now than he has been in the past.

So, what scouts are we trusting now? Are we only trusting the Orioles scouts? Are they only ones who get paid and know what they are doing?

I mean come on people, are we going to be consistent with our opinions or does consistency only happen when nice things are being said about our team?

Yeah I know what you mean. That's part of what bothers me, like Stotle said, if this kid was a legit prospect, other teams have seen him at length, so there should be SOMETHING about him out there. For there to be no information kinda lends to the theory that he wasn't considered a real prospect before and maybe what Law heard was right.

Just so weird that there are two completely conflicting sides of the story, almost like there are two players here with similar names or something.

Hasn't DD always carried around a reputation for thinking of himself as the smartest person in the room? Maybe he wants to believe his guys found something no one else did.

That's my concern, anyway.

LOL...This thread was started and people jumped with no knowledge of the pitcher. It was all about people crying because their little team gets bashed by the same people over and over again. Chaos and others had no clue if his facts were right and quite frankly, they didn't care.

Hopefully you are smart enough to see that..if not, well, that's on you.

Well this is just inaccurate.

The thread was started by Chaos, who said it wasn't a surprise for Law to bash the Orioles, but didn't say that he disagreed with him. Then it evolved into people saying that, if Law's information was accurate, then his response was justified. It continued into a discussion about the pitcher, with people trying to find more information about the pitcher.

Then you came in and asked why everyone gets mad when people tell the truth about the Orioles. Then you were called on that and said that whether or not Law was right or wrong, was irrelevant.

Because Law goes out and scouts himself, and is one of the most well connected individuals in this area of the game. If he's posting that he heard something specific from some international scouts, he did. The question is if it was a one time thing, if it was recent, or if the scout was mistaken.

Right...People are acting like he has a vendetta against DD and is just flat out lying. Its pathetic.

As you said, this doesn't mean they are right but the man was reporting what he was told...Just like when Roch is told something. That's what the media does.

I take it that's what he said on the radio show? (I didn't get a chance to listen.)

Just curious.

I didn't listen either...I saw Miller192 say that(I quoted that post a page or so ago).

Again, personally I don't care. Law could be right(or should I say those he spoke to) or he could be wrong. The Orioles, for whatever reason, liked this kids upside and they felt 500K was a worthwhile investment. That's good enough for me and it should be good enough for everyone else on this site.

Its good to hear the opinion of a well connected guy like Law but at the end of the day, it is up to the Orioles to develop this kid and if they feel the talent is there, so be it.

Why people get so bent out of shape about this is beyond me. It means nothing!

Right...People are acting like he has a vendetta against DD and is just flat out lying. Its pathetic.

As you said, this doesn't mean they are right but the man was reporting what he was told...Just like when Roch is told something. That's what the media does.

But Law is reporting it in the same manner as someone calling other fans "pathetic".

I didn't listen either...I saw Miller192 say that(I quoted that post a page or so ago).

I think this sums up the entire thread.*

*That's not a criticism of you. Everything here is second-hand, anonymous, Google-translated conjecture. We're like alchemists, turning that into a 20 page thread!

Well this is just inaccurate.

The thread was started by Chaos, who said it wasn't a surprise for Law to bash the Orioles, but didn't say that he disagreed with him. Then it evolved into people saying that, if Law's information was accurate, then his response was justified. It continued into a discussion about the pitcher, with people trying to find more information about the pitcher.

Then you came in and asked why everyone gets mad when people tell the truth about the Orioles. Then you were called on that and said that it was whether or not Law was right or wrong, was irrelevant.

Really? I asked that question with the 16th post of this thread...You show me where the question about the accuracy came before that?

I think this sums up the entire thread.*

*That's not a criticism of you. Everything here is second-hand, anonymous, Google-translated conjecture. We're like alchemists, turning that into a 20 page thread!

Miller is one of the best posters on the site. I trust that he has the ability to listen to what he says and put it down. No need for me to hear anything else but that comment.

But that's what the media does. The media sucks...I think we all agree on that.

But, if the Orioles were winning and the media was praising them, would you be complaining about how annoying it is to hear the constant attention about the Orioles?

We wouldn't be hearing that. When teams are good people like Law don't have much to say. All they would talk about is the prospects, the players, the stats. Law wouldn't be coming on and spend half his time heaping praise on the best scouts in baseball and what a modern day genius DD is.

It is the fact that the Orioles are where they are- there isn't much else to do except bash them endlessly.

When you are in a situation like the Orioles are in it is impossible for media personalities: if they try top actually talk about players and moves, there isn't much to talk about. No amount of dissection will make Andino an All-Star or a starting option that makes you feel good about 2012. And if you try to be even slightly positive then you are a homer and not being realistic.

I follow Law on Twitter and I only need one hand to count the amount of praise I have read coming from Law for any team, not just the Orioles. He seems to enjoy his seemingly very high horse and that is his schtick - its fine. I don't like his schtick.

Archived