Jones getting extension possibly???

mcneck

Every team is going to have to overpay for young talent, at least if you want it.

I think if you have great talent evaluators, and the foresight to lock up young players (or buy out some of their arbitration years), you can have some success. Look at the Rays with Longoria and Moore (although the jury is still out on Moore).

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. We could have had him for much cheaper too. This is poor on several fronts. I'm a big fan, so I'll get over it, but why we would rush to get this done in the midst of the best start of his career (and an unsustainable start) is just mind boggling to me.

Besides the HR pace that is probably unsustainable whose to say he can't sustain the over .300 average?

I agree. We could have had him for much cheaper too. This is poor on several fronts. I'm a big fan, so I'll get over it, but why we would rush to get this done in the midst of the best start of his career (and an unsustainable start) is just mind boggling to me.

Because we need to convince Oswalt to sign here soon.

Wow, so Crawford for 7 years/$142. Jones for 6 years/$85-90

Who's the better player right now?

I was just told that that ball park is close to being accurate. Trustworth individual.

Not a twitter source ;)

Tomorrow or Sunday? I think the six years will be right. I think Jones has a chance for around $95 million if he hits certain incentives. Wieters will not get signed in mid season.
Partial no trade. Teams on East and West coast only?

Those are my expectations.

Roch confirms it will occur.

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch

Both sides being truthful when they say Jones contract extension isn't "done." Not finalized. Hammering out few details. But will happen

Time to party. Like it's 1997.

Rosenthal tweets that the deal will be 6/85.

If we get the Jones from last year, it's an OK deal. If we get the Jones we have right now, it'll be a great deal.

The only downside to this deal is a possible injury, but that's no different than any long-term deal. It just makes good sense.

Tomorrow or Sunday? I think the six years will be right. I think Jones has a chance for around $95 million if he hits certain incentives. Wieters will not get signed in mid season.

Is he next on the list? Any timetable on when they want to start those talks?

There shouldn't be any doubt in anyones mind in the front office that Wieters has proved himself already.

Is he next on the list? Any timetable on when they want to start those talks?

There shouldn't be any doubt in anyones mind in the front office that Wieters has proved himself already.

Wieters isn't a free agent until after the 2014 season. We have plenty of time.

That said, I'd get something done this offseason if I were the Birds!

Archived