Bedard and the Reds(again)

weemnj

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll repeat the deal I put in another thread...its a little bizarre, but could work.

Bedard and Markakis for Bailey, Cueto, Votto, Bruce, and Encarnacion.

I think Bruce has a higher ceiling than Nick. I love Nick on this team, and I'm just throwing this deal out there for discussion.

We get two pitchers who could combine with Loewen and others to form a very formidable rotation.

Again, please don't look at this at me wanting to get rid of Nick. I'm looking at the long term stability of this franchise.

I would do that deal because Bruce will likely be better than Markakis. However, Markakis is probably the biggest close to untouchable you can get on the roster and he's the player that is now the face of the franchise...

I would do that deal because Bruce will be better than Markakis. However, Markakis is probably the biggest close to untouchable you can get on the roster and he's the player that is now the face of the franchise...

I agree, but to get the package I'm talking about could really make this team better in the long run.

We'll get two pitchers better than any other two pitchers in our farm system. We'd also get two young corner infielders who could be here for years and could start now, as well as one of the best (if not THE best) prospects in the game.

I would do that deal because Bruce will likely be better than Markakis. However, Markakis is probably the biggest close to untouchable you can get on the roster and he's the player that is now the face of the franchise...

Is Bruce's potential worth that much more than the known with Markakis?

We know what Markakis can do. He already is Paul O'neil, a guy that can pencil in day in and day out. Will make the All Star game a hand full of times.

Bruce - potential is Larry Walker. Could be a guy that goes to the All Star game year in and year out.

Is that potential worth what you have now? Don't think if that uncertainty is great enough. Justin Upton, his upside is the biggest. He is someone I would trade Markakis for but we know that wouldn't happen. you could say the same with Bruce.

I can't see Markakis going anywhere. This is a business, and at some point PR and fans' feelings have to enter into the thinking. No way the Orioles go into 08 with all the bright spots from this season having been dealt off to other clubs.

Furthermore the kind of guys we would be getting back might take a year or more to develop. Bruce, great as he probably will be, might very well struggle for much of 08. There has to be somebody fans actually will pay to watch.

I'll say the deal I proposed earlier...

Bedard and Burres for Votto, Cueto, Encarnacion, Hamilton, and Keppinger.

The Reds get a #1 starter and what would likely be their 5th starter. They get to keep their top two prospects in Bruce and Bailey and they instantly become contenders in the NL. I would prefer that deal over what the Dodgers would currently be offering.

I don't view Hamilton as big a risk as other people. He posted better numbers than Kemp in about the same number of ABs. Hamilton could be an .880 OPS almost-everyday player.

The trade also gives us flexibility. Hamilton is good defensively in both LF and CF, so we can use Roberts to grab Pie or Murton from the Cubs. Keppinger can play SS or 2b, so we could still go ahead and acquire Wood from the Angels if we could.

It's not just Bruce for Markakis, it's us getting both pitchers in the deal as well.

This may just work because not only are the Reds getting Bedard, but they are getting a very good OF'er not only for this year, but for the next 5 as well. This is a very, very interesting proposal.

I put this idea in another thread last night...errr....early this morning... and got no reaction. I think it makes a lot of sense, but I could see where the O's may be hesitant.

You've still got to give up something to get something. If we feel the potential of Bruce exceeds Markakis, then the move makes a lot of sense, as we probably won't be contending for the next 2 years. The only regular that Cincy would lose in this deal would be Encarnacion, but I think they could move some other pieces to fill that hole. Plus, it gives them another big bat to put in their lineup immediately.

It will give us 5 players that should be playing regularly for us by 2009, with most of them probably this season. A rotation in 2009 with Bailey, Cuerto, Loewen, Spoone, and Olson could be incredible.

Archived