LSU Eliminated - Orioles Can Now Negotiate With Gausman

With LSU eliminated last night the Orioles will probably go all out to sign their #1 pick this week. He has said he doesn't think there will be any problems getting a deal done. Gausman has said he thought he could throw 25-35 more innings this season. He could make at least 6-8 starts if they hold him to 3-4 innings per game.

I feel like once the O's sign him, they should let him workout with the pitching coaches for a couple of weeks to help him get his breaking ball better, then play him in games. No one can succeed in the professional level with an inconsistent breaking ball, and if he gets hit around as soon as he signs, I feel like that can affect him.

I feel like once the O's sign him, they should let him workout with the pitching coaches for a couple of weeks to help him get his breaking ball better, then play him in games. No one can succeed in the professional level with an inconsistent breaking ball, and if he gets hit around as soon as he signs, I feel like that can affect him.

Mariano Rivera says hi

Come on, get the story right. He pitched for one inning of the first game, and then finished off the double header for 6. Just think of it as one 7 inning start. Not too big of a deal.

You can't think of it like that. There was a long break between the games. No one outside LSU thought it was a good idea to bring him back out for game 2.

Tweet from KG

" Man I got a lot of decisions to make in the next few months! Doing my research "

Not sure what to make of this tweet, the only important decisions concern signing with the O's and which donuts to consume

Tweet from KG

" Man I got a lot of decisions to make in the next few months! Doing my research "

Not sure what to make of this tweet, the only important decisions concern signing with the O's and which donuts to consume

He is a dope if he doesn't sign. There is no incentive to go back to LSU, especially given how precarious the health of pitchers can be.

Tweet from KG

Next few months? He's got a month to sign, right?

He is a dope if he doesn't sign. There is no incentive to go back to LSU, especially given how precarious the health of pitchers can be.

I feel stupid for asking this but I must. In football and basketball players have the opportunity to make their decisions, sign an agent, and enter their respective drafts after their college seasons are done with. Obviously, not all college baseball players are done with their season when the draft occurs. Are teams allowed to speak with players prior to the MLB draft if the players are still playing? Additionally, is there anyway for players to sign with agents while they are still playing or do they lose their eligibility? Finally, can players sign with agents after their season and still come back if they decide not to sign or does signing with an agent preclude them in anyway from coming back?

What is the protocol/rules for this?

This leads me to my question regarding KG. I understand teams drafting guys early and then not being able to sign them for financial reasons to a degree (if the parties just can't come to an agreement). Obviously, it is rare and its frustrating when it happens. But how could a guy drafted, as expected, as early as KG have a lot of research to do into whether or not he is even going to come in (which is what it sounds like) and how could a team that was clearly in the running to get him and then ended up with him not have absolutely made sure the guy is ready to join the team. I get the decision and the risk taking for highschoolers a little more.

In the NFL and NBA, players have to declare for the draft to be eligible, thus losing their NCAA eligibility. They hire agents.

In the NHL and MLB, players don't enter the draft, but teams can select the rights to any player they want as long as they're eligible. Players have "advisors" not agents, so the player never loses their NCAA eligibility until they in a pro contract.

It is strictly against the rules for teams and players to talk about signability or have under the table agreements before the draft. It still happens, but when it does it's illegal. The best that teams can do legally is to speculate based on their situation and what they've said publicly. But even players who swear they want want to honor their committment rarely do if the contract offered is high enough.

I feel stupid for asking this but I must. In football and basketball players have the opportunity to make their decisions, sign an agent, and enter their respective drafts after their college seasons are done with. Obviously, not all college baseball players are done with their season when the draft occurs. Are teams allowed to speak with players prior to the MLB draft if the players are still playing? Additionally, is there anyway for players to sign with agents while they are still playing or do they lose their eligibility? Finally, can players sign with agents after their season and still come back if they decide not to sign or does signing with an agent preclude them in anyway from coming back?

What is the protocol/rules for this?

This leads me to my question regarding KG. I understand teams drafting guys early and then not being able to sign them for financial reasons to a degree (if the parties just can't come to an agreement). Obviously, it is rare and its frustrating when it happens. But how could a guy drafted, as expected, as early as KG have a lot of research to do into whether or not he is even going to come in (which is what it sounds like) and how could a team that was clearly in the running to get him and then ended up with him not have absolutely made sure the guy is ready to join the team. I get the decision and the risk taking for highschoolers a little more.

Teams definitely speak to their the vast majority of their draft picks because they want to get an idea of what their thoughts on signing are. Players basically acquire "advisors" while in their amateur status in order to keep eligibility, but these advisers are normally agents who will become formal once a contract is agreed to and signed.

As for KG, I don't see any reason he will not sign but the Orioles are probably not overly concerned about getting it done quickly because he's already got a pretty heavy workload under his belt this year (123.2). The Orioles might choose to shut him done for the year or work him in 2-3 inning stints even after he signs. I doubt he pitches more than 30 innings professionally this year.

Archived