Appel doesn't sign - goes back to Stanford

I don't follow college football so I can't speak to Luck. My guess is that the folks praising him did so because they rooted for his team or college football in general not because they thought it was a good move for him professionally.

I don't know why people would praise one and not the other. I know that Stanford isn't that big of a program to warrant the difference in reactions. You and I may believe he is making a mistake, but that doesn't mean he should be vilified.

I guess that comedian at the ESPY's that put down Cleveland and Baltimore will have to add Pittsburgh to his routine. Appel made a huge mistake. Another example of a player that is stroked so much and made to think he is Cy Young before he ever puts on a minor or major league uniform that he looses sight of reality. Either that or he is a silent lotto winner from California.

I think the difference between the two is thier respected sports and talent level. Luck was going to be the top pick (or in the top 3 at the very least) whichever year he came out, and going back to school probably wasn't going to change that.

Appel was not considered the top talent or maybe even the top pitcher in this draft, and going back to school meant he would need to: A. stay healthy and B. pitch lights out to elevate or even maintain his position in the draft.

The thought here is that Boras is trying to break the system. He is willing to take Appel back into the draft next year and tell all the small and mid market teams not to bother unless the want to pony up 6 million and forego their first rounder in the next draft. My hope is that a mid market team with a plan drafts him next year anyway and offers him slot...no more... with the knowledge that if he does not take it they get two picks in the '14 draft which may be a stronger draft.

In fact, if the '14 draft is considered stronger than the '13 draft, that would be a solid strategy. Draft this guy, make him take slot.....Or benefit from two picks in the '14 draft. I want Boras and his fools to be humbled, and IMO Appel just got played by Boras.

I'm not sure what that proves. That even more money wasn't enough to dissuade him from returning to college? As I stated, Andrew Luck made the same decision was generally praised.

One big difference is that Luck didn't enter the draft and cost some team a first round pick. If Appellate has a number then he should have made that known instead of making the Pirates burn a pick. Of course the real culprit is Nora's and I hope this backfires on him and his client.

One big difference is that Luck didn't enter the draft and cost some team a first round pick. If Appellate has a number then he should have made that known instead of making the Pirates burn a pick. Of course the real culprit is Nora's and I hope this backfires on him and his client.

Nobody enters the MLB draft, you are either eligible on non-eligible.

Like I said earlier, I read, before the Pirates picked him, that Appel had turned down 6 million from the Astros. I think the Pirates knew his number. I think they look at Appel, looked at the rest of their board, and took a shot that Appel would change his mind, knowing that if he didn't, they would get an extra pick in 2013.

I'm not sure what that proves. That even more money wasn't enough to dissuade him from returning to college? As I stated, Andrew Luck made the same decision was generally praised.

You can't compare the 2 players and situations. Luck is set for life if he plays football or not. His family is very well off and him going to play in the NFL has no impact or bearing on his future financial security (obviously he can become more wealthy but he doesn't really need that football money to live well).

Also the worst that can happen to Luck is he tears an ACL or some injury that forces him to miss a year but he would still be a top 5-10 pick and be given a very sizable contract/ signing bonus.

Appel could blow his arm out or not pitch very well last year and he will be looking at much, less than $3.8 mill and may never have a chance at the majors.

You can't compare the 2 players and situations. Luck is set for life if he plays football or not. His family is very well off and him going to play in the NFL has no impact or bearing on his future financial security (obviously he can become more wealthy but he doesn't really need that football money to live well).

Also the worst that can happen to Luck is he tears an ACL or some injury that forces him to miss a year but he would still be a top 5-10 pick and be given a very sizable contract/ signing bonus.

Appel could blow his arm out or not pitch very well last year and he will be looking at much, less than $3.8 mill and may never have a chance at the majors.

All of these could be reasons for supporting Appel if he chose to sign,but none show that he is either greedy or stupid.

All of these could be reasons for supporting Appel if he chose to sign,but none show that he is either greedy or stupid.

Luck and Appel really aren't comparable.

You are correct that one does not enter the MLB draft. But if Appel truly had his heart's desire on going back to school, he could have let teams know that before the draft.

Luck made the choice to go back to school knowing about what the money figure would be. Appel made the choice because he was not offered enough.

Not saying that makes him greedy or stupid (personally I think it's a bad decision, but I don't begrudge him for it). Just saying that you can't compare the two.

I don't think anybody choosing to get a degree from Stanford is stupid/greedy/bad names. I haven't heard one person same the same about Andrew Luck, so I think the anger is misplaced.

I don't see how getting a degree in engineering or literature, or whatever he's majoring in or going to help him much. Plus, he'll be playing in a metal bat league, with a coach who doesn't mind putting him in 150 pitches a game. Millions of dollars is millions of dollars. Those opportunities don't comes around many times in a life.

I don't see how getting a degree in engineering or literature, or whatever he's majoring in or going to help him much. Plus, he'll be playing in a metal bat league, with a coach who doesn't mind putting him in 150 pitches a game. Millions of dollars is millions of dollars. Those opportunities don't comes around many times in a life.

Engineering degree from Stanford is worth quite a bit. You can make $100k a year easy for like 50 years. And that's being lazy with it. Pretty good fall back position if your rotator cuff explodes in AA ball.

I do kinda agree if he wanted to stay in school he should have made that clear. Maybe he did and the Pirates are just incompetent? Seems unlikely. Methinks they got da'Boras'd.

Engineering degree from Stanford is worth quite a bit. You can make $100k a year easy for like 50 years. And that's being lazy with it. Pretty good fall back position if your rotator cuff explodes in AA ball.

I do kinda agree if he wanted to stay in school he should have made that clear. Maybe he did and the Pirates are just incompetent? Seems unlikely. Methinks they got da'Boras'd.

Once you make millions per year, it's hard for players to go back to making $100,000 per year working 50-60 hours a week though.

Once you make millions per year, it's hard for players to go back to making $100,000 per year working 50-60 hours a week though.

I don't know, the few guys I know who never made it out of A ball are generally working construction or something comparable.

$3.8 million once can go fast if you aren't careful. A degree is forever.

I'm not saying $3.8 million isn't enough to woo someone out of school...it should be...but there is a big difference between going back to Stanford for Engineering and say...LSU for Communications.

And yes he is a Eng. major:

"We are all excited to have him back at Stanford for his senior season," Cardinal coach Mark Marquess said. "He is one of the premier pitchers in college baseball and will again play an integral role in our quest to get back to the College World Series. I'm sure it was a difficult decision for him and his family, but I know Mark is excited to complete his degree in engineering and then embark on a long and successful pro career."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/07/13/mark.appel.pirates.ap/index.html#ixzz215biOPsw

I don't know, the few guys I know who never made it out of A ball are generally working construction or something comparable.

$3.8 million once can go fast if you aren't careful. A degree is forever.

I'm not saying $3.8 million isn't enough to woo someone out of school...it should be...but there is a big difference between going back to Stanford for Engineering and say...LSU for Communications.

And yes he is a Eng. major:

That's funny, that's what Luck is too. Do they have a strong engineering/architecture program there or something? or maybe they're just willing to pass jocks more for the school there....

But the old stereotype was that baseball players would sell insurance if they washed out. But my point was that somebody who's a top level pick is in a different situation than most players. He's going to get a lot of money upfront, and he's going to have every opportunity to succeed. As long as he doesn't get hurt, he'll have his shot at the show. Education and life will always be there for him, but he could set himself back if he doesn't devote to playing ball full-time.

Archived