Some stuff

bigbird

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Olson and Liz may never pan out, and Bergesen hasn't even reached AA yet. Same as Beato, he was somewhat disappointing in low A. Penn may have fallen out of favor, but we'll see after spring training. So any time you can bring back a stud like Kershaw I think you do it. His ceiling is so high and even if he doesn't reach it, he still should be studly.

I think Olson will be fine, and Penn, if he can stay healthy, will be a decent #4 or #5, Beato just turned 21, so being in A ball(moving to AA this year) is not a bad thing, and he was dominate at times this past season, and played much better late, something the numbers don't show. Bergesen, in my opinion was awesome for Delmarva last year, when he went up to Frederick, he had some growing pains, but we will learn a lot about him this year. He just turned 22, so if he can figure it out in Frederick this year, and be in Bowie by mid-season, he is still on a good pace. I agree, better to have to many arms, then not enough. But Kershaw wasn't super impressive last year, good, but not Impressive. He walked a heck of a lot of batters, and i know he is only 20, but still a crapshoot with any pitcher.

There seemed to be a definite reluctance last year to ever putting Huff at third. We know Trembley values defense. I agree with Sports Guy that they won't budge Nick from RF, and I believe we won't see Huff play any significant time at 3B as well.

I'll never forget the interview I read with Huff last summer.

When they asked him his favorite position, he answered DH.

For all the guys who kick, scream and rebel when you try to make them "half a player" by DH-ing them, we get the horse poop lug that wants to sit in the clubhouse between at bats and do God knows what with his hands.

Yea that could do it. Although then we'd have too many outfielders. Hopefully the trade happens soon. All these scenarios are giving me a headache.

I honestly believe that Bedard will be dealt the same day Kuroda makes his decision. Both the M's and Dodgers are waiting to see who wins the Kuroda sweepstakes and then the loser will pull the trigger on Bedard. The Reds are truly missing out on a golden opportunity to step in and make a quality offer to get him.

We need more than that if we are taking on Pierre. His contract is one of the 5 worst in baseball probably.

Yep. Pierre himself is probably worth less than $5MM/year. So basically we would be paying $24MM for whoever we get with Pierre.

It would have to be a Laroche-quality talent. $24MM is a lot of money.

I think Olson will be fine, and Penn, if he can stay healthy, will be a decent #4 or #5, Beato just turned 21, so being in A ball(moving to AA this year) is not a bad thing, and he was dominate at times this past season, and played much better late, something the numbers don't show. Bergesen, in my opinion was awesome for Delmarva last year, when he went up to Frederick, he had some growing pains, but we will learn a lot about him this year. He just turned 22, so if he can figure it out in Frederick this year, and be in Bowie by mid-season, he is still on a good pace. I agree, better to have to many arms, then not enough. But Kershaw wasn't super impressive last year, good, but not Impressive. He walked a heck of a lot of batters, and i know he is only 20, but still a crapshoot with any pitcher.

I agree about Olson because he had great control in college and all the way through the minors, I'm sure he'll get comfortable at some point, but you never know. I'm rooting for Penn, and I think he can at least add some bullpen depth for us, if not lock done the 5th spot. Beato should be in high A Frederick with Bergesen this year.

With all that said, I really want Kemp, but if we have to "settle" (if you can even call it that) for Kershaw, then things should be looking up in the future.

For me it would.

That is the deal I called for during most of the offseason.

So, i have no problem with it.

The only ML ready player is LaRoche, questionably so, and his ML numbers are poor, plus he has back problems. I am high on Hu and Kershaw but they are still MiL prospects. I want at least one sure thing for Bedard and LARoche to my mind is not it. Kemp, Broxton, Billingsly, Loney, or even Ethier would be.

Archived