Chris Davis = Mark Trumbo

Orange

The perception is that Mark Trumbo is some big time MVP of the future and Chris Davis is basically lucky to have parlayed his one skill into a full-time job. Well, wait til you see these stats...

First, they are the same age (26) and within an inch and a few pounds of each other size-wise. They both play a little corner infield, a little corner outfield, and DH.

Davis - 494 AB's: .801 OPS, .267 BA, .323 OBP, .478 SLG, 28 HR, 77 RBI, 68 R, 36 BB, 160 K.

Trumbo - 494 AB's: .795 OPS, .261 BA, .313 OBP, .483 SLG, 31 HR, 89 RBI, 64 R, 36 BB, 147 K.

Crazy close, right? The only difference is that Chris Davis can strike out Adrian Gonzalez.

Trumbo had a fast start which seems to stick in people's minds for some reason. He looked as though he had learned some plate discipline and was going to hit for high averages too, then he went back to being Mark Trumbo. He's a guy with little discipline, not a great hit tool, and good power. So, yes they are similar but I don't think any smart fans see Mark Trumbo as some future MVP stud.

Trumbo had a fast start which seems to stick in people's minds for some reason. He looked as though he had learned some plate discipline and was going to hit for high averages too, then he went back to being Mark Trumbo. He's a guy with little discipline, not a great hit tool, and good power. So, yes they are similar but I don't think any smart fans see Mark Trumbo as some future MVP stud.

Some of us were not fooled. Very few players suddenly learn plate discipline and his high batting average was a product of an unsustainable babip.

Trumbo has been on an absolute free fall for two months to get to those numbers. So I think the thought is that he still has a pretty high floor. But the point is well taken that they are similar. I for one did not have faith in Chris Davis, so I will gladly eat that crow and tip the waiter.

Some of us were not fooled. Very few players suddenly learn plate discipline and his high batting average was a product of an unsustainable babip.

Yes indeed. A lot of people seemed to be fooled though, people were drooling about Mark Trumbo at the beginning of the year.

• 2 months later...

Archived