Shohei Otani

paulcoates

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

How's it going, everyone?  Am I to assume that all threads about Shohei Otani are but wild speculation?  There's no way the O's are even on his radar, correct? 

He's narrowed his list to 7 teams, 5 on the west coast.

Since he can only be signed for international bonus pool money, which we have very little of, we were probably never in the running.   He sent a questionnaire to every MLB team asking about team philosophy, locale, why he should play for their team.

I think we can assume he has set some kind of floor on the bonus he will take, probably $2.5 million or so, because Anaheim and Seattle just traded decent prospects to the twins for $1 million in international signing pool money each, and both of them crossed that line.   Texas has the most to spend ($3.3 million or something like that) but the difference is probably great enough that he'll sign with whatever team he wants that is over his arbitrary limit, basing his choice on all the factors he is interested in.

All speculation, except the fact that the list is down to 5 west coast teams (all but Oakland) plus the Rangers and Cubs. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

How's it going, everyone?  Am I to assume that all threads about Shohei Otani are but wild speculation?  There's no way the O's are even on his radar, correct? 

My memory isn't what it used to be, but I'm pretty positive that he has a short list of 7 teams and the only team on his list East of the Mississippi was Chicago. I could be wrong. Lets have another 50 pages of speculation, though. Makes the off-season which I find the least interesting time of the year somewhat entertaining.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Drungo sighting!    Wher’ve you been — real life getting in the way?

26 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I’m curious how they’ll work him into the Upton / Trout / Calhoun outfield. Maybe Pujols is going to see limited at bats at DH.

He'll share DH duties with Pujols.  Doubt he sees any significant time in the outfield.

Archived