Shohei Otani

paulcoates

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, andrewochs615 said:

Ha ha figures 

It figures, but it is extremely embarrassing that the Orioles feel the need to have dogmatic team philosophies that aren't even flexible in the face of a once in a decade type of opportunity. 

I don't get it.

While I understand (but do not agree) with how someone could be "philosophically opposed" to participating in the major international markets (DR, Venezuela, etc)  because of the buscones and the corruption and the general inherent risk of throwing so much money in the direction of 16 year olds who still have several more years of growing, and who might not even really be 16.   As I said, I don't agree, but I can at least comprehend the logic that might lead someone to take such a philosophical position.

But what is philosophically wrong with the posting process?   It came about because the NPB is a Major League in their country and MLB is the major league in North America and they came up with a reasonable agreement between the two entities that allows the Japanese teams to somewhat protect the integrity of their rosters and not become a minor league feeder system for MLB.   It's an international business agreement between two major baseball entities.    I can't understand how someone could be philosophically opposed to that.

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't get it.

While I understand (but do not agree) with how someone could be "philosophically opposed" to participating in the major international markets (DR, Venezuela, etc)  because of the buscones and the corruption and the general inherent risk of throwing so much money in the direction of 16 year olds who still have several more years of growing, and who might not even really be 16.   As I said, I don't agree, but I can at least comprehend the logic that might lead someone to take such a philosophical position.

But what is philosophically wrong with the posting process?   It came about because the NPB is a Major League in their country and MLB is the major league in North America and they came up with a reasonable agreement between the two entities that allows the Japanese teams to somewhat protect the integrity of their rosters and not become a minor league feeder system for MLB.   It's an international business agreement between two major baseball entities.    I can't understand how someone could be philosophically opposed to that.

He doesn't agree with paying the player's current team.

58 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't get it.

The O'a 88 year old owner was not going to speed 20m on posting from the 2018 budget.

2 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

It's not personally embarrassing, but it should be embarrassing to team staff.

A ridiculous stance in this situation.    It’s like the Orioles set policy based on one set of market circumstances and don’t react when the circumstances change.   There’s a big difference between paying a $50 mm posting fee and then another $50 mm to the player, compared to paying a $20 mm posting fee and then paying the player peanuts.  But don’t tell that to Orioles’ management.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A ridiculous stance in this situation.    It’s like the Orioles set policy based on one set of market circumstances and don’t react when the circumstances change.   There’s a big difference between paying a $50 mm posting fee and then another $50 mm to the player, compared to paying a $20 mm posting fee and then paying the player peanuts.  But don’t tell that to Orioles’ management.   

It's just the principle of the posting fee though.  Just like it's the principle of not participating in the amateur IFA market.  Just like the principle of not giving a bunch of years to pitchers.

Dogmatic rules like these paint your GM into a corner and put the team at a serious competitive disadvantage.

It'd be one thing if the team preferred to go all out on scouting to try and find cheap IFAs rather than compete for the big dollar guys.  It'd be one thing if they had an internal metric for how many years/dollars to offer pitchers that differed from other teams, but to say this is the way it is and we aren't bending/budging/making exceptions is not smart.

Baseball is a fast moving business environment, what is true now, probably won't hold sway in a couple of years, you need to be on the cusp, always planning, looking ahead, trying to get every last advantage within the rules, especially if you aren't a big market team.

Archived