Would you trade Bundy straight up for Stanton?

ChaosLex

Would you trade Bundy straight up for Stanton?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Bundy straight up for Stanton?

This is a great proposition to think about. I think I'd do this trade even with immense hopes and confidence that Bundy is going to be a superstar. My tinfoil hat worry with him is about his durability being a shorter pitcher whose talent is aided by his ridiculously awesome training regimen. He gets a serious injury and loses that strength and maybe he never recovers. Whereas Stanton is a star now and is young and cheap. If he got injured I'd guess the likelihood is higher he'd come back from it.

Taking Stanton may be the safer bet instead of banking on Bundy although I think that's a safe bet too.

It's just an interesting proposition because this seems like a realistic trade both fan bases would have a hard time swallowing.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's got 4 years left. He's arb eligible in 2014.

I don't think it's quite the slam dunk that some people do. Actually, end of the day, I don't think I would make the trade. Ask me tomorrow, I could have a different answer.

You could tell me he's going to be Matt Cain in 3 yrs and I'd still trade him tomorrow for Stanton, and expecting Bundy to be better than Matt Cain is an unfair expectation.

Stanton is a man among men and you don't know what you will have with DB. That being said, good pitching beats good hitting every time. He's maybe the best we've had come along in a long time. I remember hearing Palmer talk about him last year and thinking, "We had better hold onto this one."

Stanton is a man among men and you don't know what you will have with DB. That being said, good pitching beats good hitting every time. He's maybe the best we've had come along in a long time. I remember hearing Palmer talk about him last year and thinking, "We had better hold onto this one."

I just hope he shows better command and better velocity then the 91-92 he showed when he was called up. I hope he was just tired, because I wasnt impressed stuff-wise. I know it's sss and all.

That's a team motto... not a rule of thumb for individuals. In reality, a hitter that plays every day is nearly always more valuable than a single starting pitcher. There's maybe 1 or 2 pitchers every generation that break that mold (Verlander is breaking it in today's game). But even the Tigers would prefer to have Miguel Cabrera over Verlander if they had to choose. Stanton has Cabrera's ability.

You always take the stud proven hitter over the pitching prospect. Always.

That's a team motto... not a rule of thumb for individuals. In reality, a hitter that plays every day is nearly always more valuable than a single starting pitcher. There's maybe 1 or 2 pitchers every generation that break that mold (Verlander is breaking it in today's game). But even the Tigers would prefer to have Miguel Cabrera over Verlander if they had to choose. Stanton has Cabrera's ability.

You always take the stud proven hitter over the pitching prospect. Always.

It's a general rule not a team motto. Certain teams may have co opted it over the years because it holds true over the long run. It was on display again in this years PO. And Bundy is no ordinary pitching prospect. If, like Palmer says, he becomes everything that he is projected to be then that holds more value come PO time than does a hitter. Even one as good as Stanton can be shut down from time to time against the best pitching.

I find it hard to believe this poll is so close. Bundy is a very valuable prospect and one of the best pitching prospects around at age 20. But Stanton has already proven to be one of the best hitters in the game at the age of 23. As people have said, you can't bank on Bundy being a Verlander type and there is always a higher risk of injuries to young pitchers that derail their careers as opposed to batters.

I would take Stanton and be happy that I had a top 5 type of bat in my lineup for the next 10 years.

I'm thankful some of you guys aren't running the team. :rolleyestf:

OP, there needs to be a "Hell No!" Option as well :D

10 ANDREW MILLER, lhp, Tigers

The consensus top prospect in the 2006 draft was a steal at sixth overall and nearly made Detroit's World Series roster

That's what BA said about Andrew Miller. Do you think the Tiger's regret that they gave him up for Migel Cabrera?

Was Andrew Miller ever considered the best prospect in baseball?

Like I was told once, prospects should be called suspects. There's never a sure thing. I wasn't impressed with Bundy's stuff when he was called up. 91-92 with poor command doesn't look like #1 stuff to me. I know it was a sss, so maybe he was tired. I was under the impression Bundy threw in the mid-upper 90's.

I'd do it in a heartbeat and try hard as possible to give him an extension ASAP.

Fun fact that could be relevant if he stays healthy: if Stanton hits 7 homers before July 25th next year, he'll become one of the 10 youngest players to hit 100 (kicking off Frobby). Most likely he'll end up at least 7th on that list (if he gets 7 before 5/11). 9/10 of those guys are either HOFers or likely HOFers.

Archived