Reynolds: "I would assume that I'll probably be gone"

ChaosLex

But he has so few at bats, spread out over different years, I wouldn't read much into it. You'd do better projecting him just assuming he's a .794 OPS player with a standard 0.050-ish platoon split favoring lefties.

While I will agree that the sporatic nature of his playing times makes the evidence less then conclusive I see no reason to assume the opposite of what the evidence that there is is showing.

Jones still has a reverse split of over 100 OPS.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I will agree that the sporatic nature of his playing times makes the evidence less then conclusive I see no reason to assume the opposite of what the evidence that there is is showing.

Jones still has a reverse split of over 100 OPS.

I tend to keep cases like that in the back of my mind, but research (say, The Book) indicates that you need an awful lot of plate appearances (much more than Reimold's career) before you're more accurate predicting next years splits using real individual numbers rather than a generic split.

I like MR and appreciate the jolt he provided the team during a three or so week period in Aug/Sept, but I think his 2012 statistics will be relatively easy to replace. Perhaps MR retains some upside of longer and better hot streaks, but I'm not willing to put $8M or $9M toward that possibility and certainly not a two year commitment to MR as has been suggested multiple times this offseason.

BTW, I think this is purely a baseball decision by our GM. I totally disagree with posters who say this is an example of our owner or FO being cheap.

It is very easy to see the positions from 2012 where our offensive contributions must improve in order to compete again. It is quite clear 1B is one of them.

Have you seen Betemit's lifetime numbers batting LH? I would say he'd be just as productive in that role as Davis.
.824 OPS. Good, but who do you get to hit LHP to bring that up enough to offset the loss of D at 1B. iI'd be happy if we traded for Butler to DH and moved Davis to 1B.

Not hard. Hell, we could just call John Olerud out of retirement! I'm sure he's still better.

While I'm not upset that Reynolds apparently isn't coming back, I don't think you can dismiss his production out of hand. If he's an average fielding first basemen, combined with his career marks batting he could be a 2-win player going forward. No sure thing, and better players obviously exist, but it's not a trivial thing to replace a guy who could be expected to be a MLB-average player.

Not hard. Hell, we could just call John Olerud out of retirement! I'm sure he's still better.

You're the guy who lied repeatedly about how long Reynolds played at first base last year.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/128121-Dubroff-Believes-Reynolds-Signs-Two-Year-Deal?p=2983696#post2983696

Exposing you and (whatever your) motives are ??? Not hard.

You're the guy who lied repeatedly about how long Reynolds played at first base last year.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/128121-Dubroff-Believes-Reynolds-Signs-Two-Year-Deal?p=2983696#post2983696

Exposing you and your motives ??? Not hard.

I was just disappointed that he wasn't an REM fan after seeing his screen name, and that his negative attitude doesn't come from the fact that they broke up.

Losing Reynolds will be a mistake.

I think it is a mistake also, but since I gave Duquette as much credit as I did for all of his gutsy, knowledgeable, and (sometimes) unorthodox moves last season in helping Buck and company lead us to 93 wins and a playoff birth, I'm not going to jump on him about it until it all plays out for (at least) half a season. With this guy, you just never know what he has up his sleeve, and last year's sleeve was great.

Archived