Winter Meetings: Day 2

ChaosLex

Are you actually complaining this time or still making fun of people's perception of you? Because if you're being serious, I think it's clear why Duquette isn't spending big money. He doesn't have big money to spend.

I wasn't referencing the Red Sox, I was just saying that we're going to see some pretty strong deals coming over the next day and we won't make any substantial improvements.

There's no reason we can't, but we won't. I know, I know... PA.

MSK

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasn't referencing the Red Sox, I was just saying that we're going to see some pretty strong deals coming over the next day and we won't make any substantial improvements.

MSK

Never thought i'd say this, but i'd be happy with Kevin Youkilis at this point.

Man that Victorino deal is brutal. What the hell is Boston thinking? Makes you wonder what Swisher will end up with... and Hamilton too.

Any word lately on Choo? I think he could be a good target for the O's. He does only have one year left on his deal and is a Boras client though. Might not have to give up much.

DD has been consistent in saying that he expected to trade for a hitter rather than sign a free agent. Have there been a bunch of trades of LF, DH, and 1B that I've missed?

I think they are still signing bad center fielders for 14 million a year.

@masnRoch

"People like our young pitching. I can tell you that. And we like our young pitching, too." - Dan Duquette #orioles

I would think there are some teams with money that might be interested in our young pitching, but first want to take a crack at landing Greinke or Shields/Hellickson. To not wait for the market to evolve would limit our options.

And I didn't even use the word "percolate."

MSK

What deals would make us substantially better without ridiculously overpaying? Dan Haren just had the worst year of his career with back injuries and decreased velocity and he got 13M guarenteed. Victorino had the worst year of his career at 32 and got a 3yr/39M deal. The market has mostly been set. Loshe will get 15M per year for 3 years, Greinke will probably get 18-21M over the next 4-5 years so we're not going to be signing a TOR starter and we'll be "dumpster diving" to patch the holes in our rotation. Our biggest offensive needs are second and left field, but theres no second baseman worth signing this year, and anybody who is definitely going to help us in the outfield is also going to be ridiculously overpaid: Hamilton, Bourn, Ross, and Swisher. It makes an extreme amount more sense to make smart trades and maybe pick up Butler or Hosmer, or maybe just resigning Reynolds and McLouth and keeping most of our already thin starting pitching.

Archived